Alert: Covid-19 and our favorite team

Discussion in 'San Jose Earthquakes' started by TyffaneeSue, Mar 11, 2020.

1. TyffaneeSue

TyffaneeSue moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 15, 2003
    Upstairs
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    #3276 TyffaneeSue, May 29, 2020
    Last edited: May 29, 2020
    Deaths above the average for that timeframe maybe including a standard deviation?

Edited: the problem is that comparable data is hard to obtain -- it's apples and oranges

mjlee22 repped this.
  2. Quakes05

Quakes05 Member+

Oct 1, 2005
    birthplace of MLS
    JazzyJ, mjlee22 and TyffaneeSue repped this.
  3. Earthshaker

Earthshaker BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 12, 2005
    The hills above town
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    More like the petulant child who takes his ball and goes home when the game isn't going his way. Sure, both China and the WHO have things to answer for, but, now isn't the time to abandon the preeminent that body that deals with health issues that can affect the entire globe.

4. NedZ

NedZ Member+

May 19, 2001
    Los Gatos
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    TyffaneeSue and SoccerMan94043 repped this.
  5. SoccerMan94043

SoccerMan94043 Member+

May 29, 2003
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  6. bsman

bsman Member+

May 30, 2001
    MadCity
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    I just discussed this with my daughter, the OTR/L, and she noted that delirium is quite common in folks in ICUs regardless of what put them there. She also bemoaned the fact that many of these situations could be avoided by having orienting items by the patient - things like calendars, clocks, the patients’ glasses, hearing aids, photos of loved ones, etc. However, few hospitals take these steps.

7. mjlee22

mjlee22 Quake & Landon fan

Nov 24, 2003
    near Palo Alto, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I read somewhere that normally people are only on ventilators for a few days, not 2-4-6 weeks. So there is a whole realm of side-effects of long-term intubation that are just coming to light now.

8. mjlee22

Nov 24, 2003
    near Palo Alto, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I saw a tweet quoting I think an Oakland newspaper that the Quakes had laid off office staff. But I can’t find that tweet now. ANyone else heard anything like this? Hubby heard from a former staffer who didn’t think anyone was manning the Quakes office at all.

9. tvromero

tvromero Member

Jun 2, 2018
    Who would send out the tweet if they are all laid off?

TyffaneeSue repped this.
  10. Earthshaker

Sep 12, 2005
    The hills above town
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Reading comprehension fail.:)

11. tvromero

tvromero Member

Jun 2, 2018
    I guess now that I look again at the original question that I do deserve to be called out for a fail.

12. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
  13. Earthshaker

Sep 12, 2005
    The hills above town
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    SeaJayBee repped this.
  14. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I'm thinking FIFA may start allowing 5 subs when things get back to normal. Especially at the Qatar World Cup during the heat....

15. Beerking

Beerking Member+

Nov 14, 2000
    Humboldt County
    There is no reason MLS cannot resume their season, the German league is pulling it off without a hitch.

Earthshaker repped this.
  16. tvromero

tvromero Member

Jun 2, 2018
    Playing soccer is not so much the issue but virus spread in the country is a problem. The US has 3x the death rate of Germany on a per capita basis and the US continues to pull away. Germany is seeing deaths in their country of 50 or less per day, the US is seeing 1500 per day.

DotMPP repped this.
  17. tvromero

tvromero Member

Jun 2, 2018
    I found this article which talks about Nascar that had had two events. It is about the questionnaire that is sent almost everyday to participates

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.ch...orts/nascar-auto-racing/article243117266.html

The interesting thing here is that each member is social distance and wearing a face mask so not sure how that works for soccer.

This might be the first game that Wondo won't be able to do his pre game water show.

18. podrinje

podrinje Member+

Borussia Dortmund
    Bosnia and Herzegovina
    Oct 10, 2013
    Bay Area!
    Club:
    Alemannia Aachen
    Nat'l Team:
    Bosnia-Herzegovina
    Bundesliga is currently abiding by the new rules. You still can only sub three times so you either have to sub multiple players two of the three opportunities or you can perform substitutions during half time and then still have three opportunities to sub during the second half if no substitutions have been made prior to half time.

Beerking repped this.
  19. Earthshaker

Sep 12, 2005
    The hills above town
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As long as hygiene protocols are followed, I would think with our generally hotter climate and more sunshine, having MLS games would be a less risky environment than Bundesliga games. Granted, there are more teams in MLS than in the Bundesliga.

Beerking repped this.
  20. tvromero

tvromero Member

Jun 2, 2018
    Germany is a much safer place than the US for the spread of Covid-19. They are 25% of the US population and yet they are seeing only 3% of the Covid-19 deaths that we see in the US each day. If the US had the per capita numbers of Germany we would only be seeing about 200 deaths a day instead we have 1500. "our generally hotter climate and more sunshine" is not doing anything to influence our numbers down.

The leagues are going to play and players or personal are going to get sick and they will continue to play until quality is affected. Not having fans protects a lot of people at the sacrifice of the teams personal.

DotMPP repped this.
  21. Earthshaker

Sep 12, 2005
    The hills above town
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I am talking about the specific act of holding a closed game. Why would MLS conducting closed door games be more dangerous than what Germany is doing? Who gives a crap what the infection rate is outside of the stadium. Just because some yahoos are not taking social distancing and hygiene protocols in X location seriously doesn't mean people in Y location will be impacted. There are some counties in this state with no cases!

22. mjlee22

Nov 24, 2003
    near Palo Alto, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't subscribe to the Merc, so i don't know what's in the article...

23. tvromero

tvromero Member

Jun 2, 2018
    I am able to see it as I have not visited in awhile.

From the article regarding announcements for layoffs in recent days

I assume those must be staff associated with the stadium that would normally be there to support the fans.

mjlee22 repped this.
  24. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    So therefore, its not 5 subs or it is only with certain conditons?