Covid-19: American Acceptionalism

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by Yoshou, Jul 27, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
?

Name the thread!

Poll closed Jul 28, 2020.
  1. Covid-19: American Acceptionalism

22 vote(s)
    55.0%
  2. My Covid-19th Nervous Breakdown

8 vote(s)
    20.0%
  3. Covid-19: Killing in the Name

4 vote(s)
    10.0%
  4. Covid-19: But my Freedom!

3 vote(s)
    7.5%
  5. Covid-19: The Final Thread. This tie for sure

3 vote(s)
    7.5%
  1. usscouse

usscouse BigSoccer Supporter

May 3, 2002
    Orygun coast
    The part were he is one of today’s generation:)

2. russ

russ Member+

Feb 26, 1999
    Canton,NY
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    All of them,I reckon.:thumbsup:

roby repped this.
  3. SetPeace

SetPeace Member+

Jun 22, 2004
    SC Illinois
    Club:
    Torquay United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The parents of my next door neighbor who had been hospitalized with coronavirus are now home. Dad was hospitalized for 5 days locally. Mom was sent to a hospital in Springfield for 3 or 4 days. Both are doing well and consider themselves lucky. They are in the mid-and early-70's respectively and they have underlying heart conditions. I spoke with the man earlier this week, and he said he's fine with the exception of some occasional breathing problems, but nothing severe. He lost 30 pounds during his illness though!

For the nursing home/long-term care facility discussions, it bugs me that patients at these places are treated as a larger part of our 'throw away' society. It's no comfort that this practice seems to be occurring in other nations too. That's why I wish states or more importantly, the entire U.S. would adopt legal and sensible 'Right To Die' legislation. Several states allow for medically induced suicides, but the person requesting it must have a terminal illness to be eligible. Switzerland and Belgium are the only two countries I know of that allow people to commit suicide by medical means or with a medical professional's assistance, but you don't need to have a terminal illness to do so.

I live alone. Never been married. Don't have kids. If I make it to my mid-70's or beyond, and I'm fully aware that I'm losing my faculties, I would at least want the option of having myself done away with, without draining my finances and spending the rest of my days, no matter how long that might be, in a care facility where I might be susceptible to abuse from either staff members or other patients. There will be no one around to take care of me, if my physical and mental health deteriorate rapidly. If there is any possible way for me to have a say on how my 'end of days' comes about, I'd be very interested in exploring my options. I'm not one to foist myself on my niece or nephew so they can park me in the corner of the living room with a drool cup on Thanksgiving Day to watch a football game between two teams I don't recognize. :unsure:

4. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well the Germans would be of this generation too and they'd need a break for the Berlin techno party and Oktoberfest.

5. SamScouse

SamScouse Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Toronto
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Way to miss / ignore the point, Paul.

6. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I get the point. I just don't agree with it. ;)

7. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So has Robert Trump got coronavirus?

8. jmartin1966

jmartin1966 Member+

Jun 13, 2004
    Chicago
    don't think so:

he was previously hospitalized in June

Donald visited him today

Not conclusive, but I think these are more consistent with some other illness

9. SamScouse

SamScouse Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Toronto
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    really? you think today's adults have the same resolve, mental fortitude and willingness to suffer for the good of their fellow citizens and common cause, as the adults of WW2?

really??

10. Mmm, you then wouldnot agree with my description of the current generation, the GIG's.
    Meaning Generation Instant Gratification.

11. y-lee-coyote

y-lee-coyote Member+

Dec 4, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    i think the older we get the more we romanticize how "good" things used to be. Since at least Socrate's time there have been discussions and laments about the "youth" of today not being like the old timers.

I get your point, but even a bunch of orange slice sucking social media addicted Karen's, Felicia's, Florida man, rainbow flag waving, maga hat wearing, BLM marching, and me too folks could come together if they "perceived" an existential threat.

Survival instinct can make strange bedfellows. They key is the perception. It is clear viewing societal actions from a distance shows that far too many people do not perceive Covid is a real threat to their existence. Japan bombing Pearl Harbor was clearly real and nothing stood between them and the US mainland. Nazi-ism was rapidly taking over Europe, that threat was generally perceived as very real.

You can blame this perception on confused messaging, lack of leadership, failure of the education system, ammoral society, failed families, etc. etc. I believe if all those divided and disparate groups genuinely perceived a clear and present danger they might set aside their various agendas, deal with the existential crisis, and then return to business as usual.

OTOH I might be very wrong, we are ********ed, and we are merely participating in the denouement. If Covid really is that threat we will know very soon, when our teachers and children simultaneously combine to create thousands of SSE's from coast to coast, and children start dying like the early days with the residents of LTCs in NYC. The divisions will be driven deeper and our society will collapse. I never really thought I would believe that such an outcome was possible, but now I am closer to thinking it is inevitable.

12. So could covid be the catalyst that ignites processes that destruct the very fabric of a society already cracking in it's seams? Let's take the Beirut blast. It took welders in the building next to the 2750 tons stash to ignite it.

Could it really get that bad?

13. bostonsoccermdl

bostonsoccermdl Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 3, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Our attitude that the 65+ generation is more expendable is a frustuating problem and affects how society views the proper measure to combat Covid.
    I guarantee if the script was flipped and rather than the elderly, it was the younger someone was, the higher chance of death was the case, things would be different. The "Kids! what about the Kids!" mentality would put so much pressure on policy makers, even if Trump didn't change his views, states would have been willing to go much stricter on masks, re-opening, public gatherings, etc (well, maybe not Florida..)

This just reinforces the attitude that the elderly's well being isn't worth sacrificing convenience and lifestyle for.

14. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Maybe God is trying to tell them something. Yes, that must be it.

15. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I do. Absolutely and unreservedly.

16. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Me too. I feel that the British reaction to the pandemic was reminiscent of the wartime spirit. The whole population going outside on a Thursday evening to bang pots and pans in support of NHS workers was very moving to an exile like myself.

17. SamScouse

SamScouse Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Toronto
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    interesting. based on what?

18. Kazuma

Kazuma Member+

Chelsea
    Jul 30, 2007
    Detroit
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    If you know Macomb County, this isn't a surprise. Oh, and Michigan has over a thousand new covid cases.

19. usscouse

May 3, 2002
    Orygun coast
    #1169 usscouse, Aug 15, 2020
    Last edited: Aug 15, 2020
    More and more people are quitting this madman’s control base. Those that didn’t go to jail that is. Goering, goebblels and Himmler are hanging in. So far!

CDC's chief of staff, deputy chief of staff depart from agency
    By Nick Valencia, CNN
    Updated 2:36 PM ET, Sat August 15, 2020

[​IMG]

A podium with the logo for the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention at the Tom Harkin Global Communications Center on October 5, 2014 in Atlanta, Georgia. (Photo by Kevin C. Cox/Getty Images)
    (CNN)Two senior Trump political appointees departed the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, a senior official at the agency confirmed to CNN.

Kyle McGowan, the chief of staff, and Amanda Campbell, the deputy chief of staff, resigned effective Friday, leaving to start a consulting firm, the official said. Both left voluntarily, the official added. CNN has reached out to McGowan and Campbell for comment.
    Politico first reported the news of their departures.
    The pair had been criticized by Trump administration officials for not being loyal enough.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/08/15/poli...yle-mcgowan-amanda-campbell-depart/index.html

20. US and UK on the same page?

From what I saw up till now in twitter vids regarding taking into account the wellbeing of fellow men is in contradiction to the stated opinions.

21. SamScouse

SamScouse Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Toronto
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    yes that was nice but people taking a few minutes away from the telly now and then - to show gratitude for, and encourage stoicism in, people who are saving lives - doesn't exactly compare to the remarkable strength of will required to tolerate 14 years of food rationing, evacuation of children, and being bombed every night for months on end ..... does it?

ffs people in the midst of Covid are bitching coz their favourite restaurant's closed and they can't go to get a haircut or visit their favourite foreign beaches.

spejic and M repped this.
  22. usscouse

May 3, 2002
    Orygun coast
    Yeah, I lived through those 14 years.
    Life is hard, I’m still trying to find a store that stocks these new Kit Kat bars with the chocolate mint covering.

spejic, Kazuma and roby repped this.
  23. SamScouse

SamScouse Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Toronto
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    and you're an ex-Marine. thanks for bolstering my point. :)

24. usscouse

May 3, 2002
    Orygun coast
    #1175 usscouse, Aug 15, 2020
    Last edited: Aug 15, 2020
    I’m trying to decide if that was a deliberate insult or just higerence.
    Parachute Regiment Please.
    A7892D75-67C5-441F-A118-CC84AC0AD695.jpeg
    yes you made your point.​

Dr. Wankler repped this.