Covid-19: American Acceptionalism

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by Yoshou, Jul 27, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
?

Name the thread!

Poll closed Jul 28, 2020.
  1. Covid-19: American Acceptionalism

22 vote(s)
    55.0%
  2. My Covid-19th Nervous Breakdown

8 vote(s)
    20.0%
  3. Covid-19: Killing in the Name

4 vote(s)
    10.0%
  4. Covid-19: But my Freedom!

3 vote(s)
    7.5%
  5. Covid-19: The Final Thread. This tie for sure

3 vote(s)
    7.5%
  1. Knave

Knave Member+

May 25, 1999
    #8901 Knave, Jan 11, 2021
    Last edited: Jan 11, 2021
    It doesn't say when she received the first dose of the vaccine. If she got the first dose just shortly before her exposure, it might not have had enough time to achieve its full effectiveness. And the first dose isn't optimally effective even at its full effectiveness. Hence the need for the second dose.

luftmensch, sitruc, Mike03 and 2 others repped this.
  2. Yoshou

Yoshou Fan of the CCL Champ

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's not the first. There have been several healthcare workers that tested positive after getting the vaccine.

Did she have her second dose? That's when the 90-95% protection happens and, even then, they don't hit 90-95% until several weeks after.

sitruc and Paul Berry repped this.
  3. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I doubt she's had the second dose. The vaccines haven't been around that long have they?

4. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    But this is a great excuse for idiots like me, who don't bother to get the full facts, to say "hey, told ya the vaccine doesn't work".

5. Yoshou

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    2nd doses started to be given last week from what I understand.

Paul Berry repped this.
  6. Yoshou

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Paul Berry repped this.
  7. Umar

Umar Member+

Sep 13, 2005
    One step ahead
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Palestine
    As I understand it, during the testing they gave vaccine and placebo to two different groups. They then looked at both groups to see how many cases of Covid were in the control group and how many in the vaccinated group. That’s how they come up with the “95% effective” figure.

The fact that there’s not a 100% effective vaccine means that some of the vaccinated group during tests must have got Covid.

russ and Paul Berry repped this.
  8. Minnman

Minnman Member+

Feb 11, 2000
    Columbus, OH, USA
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: your second point, no.

These are mRNA vaccines, not those like we're used to getting that use a weakened version of a virus in order to activate an immune response and protective antibodies, but that sometimes result in someone getting a mild form of the disease. It's a totally different vaccine technology.

russ, sitruc and Paul Berry repped this.
  9. Yoshou

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yup. Here's the numbers from Pfizer's press release: From what I understand, most of the infections among the vaccinated group happened between the 1st dose and the 2nd dose and only 2 were after the 2nd dose.

Umar, russ and Paul Berry repped this.
  10. Bluto11

Bluto11 The sky is falling!

May 16, 2003
    Chicago, IL
    I read somewhere that the vaccine is a blueprint for the spike protein that covid uses to attach to cells, so that your body knows how to attack that spike protein so if it gets into your body it knows what to do.

11. M

M Member+

Feb 18, 2000
    Via Ventisette
    Also Pfizer trail enrollees self reported symptoms. That almost certainly means some who got the virus but were asymptomatic never got tested to confirm infection and thus are in that 95% figure. Pfizer claimed 50% efficacy after one dose.

Not sure whether Moderna relied on self-reporting or tested everyone at regular intervals.

12. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    And after getting the facts, they'll need a lesson on what "95 per cent" means. That means back to grade 2 math class for much of America, I'm afraid.

Cascarino's Pizzeria repped this.
  13. Umar

Umar Member+

Sep 13, 2005
    One step ahead
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Palestine
    What kind of crap is that?! I’m no medic but surely it’s supposed to be a scientific test not an opinion poll.

14. :ROFLMAO:
    Where did that come from?

15. JamesA

JamesA Member+

Dec 7, 2004
    Victoria
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Because the goal of the vaccine was to eliminate severe disease. Not to prevent infection.

They are different approaches to the vaccine development.

16. Umar

Umar Member+

Sep 13, 2005
    One step ahead
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Palestine
    Sure, but whether it’s severe disease or mild infection or asymptomatic, surely they should check what the actual cause is? Self reporting symptoms just means that you know how many people in each group got (or to be more precise, self reported) symptoms of Covid, not how many people actually got infected by the virus.

And how do you control for asymptomatic carriers if you aren’t actually testing? If for example the vaccinated group had lots of people who were asymptomatic carriers and the placebo group had none (or vice versa), wouldn’t this badly skew the results?

I am actually really surprised that they would invest so much into a vaccine and not actually test for the virus. Of course you’d check symptoms too, but not carrying out actual tests as well?

17. JamesA

JamesA Member+

Dec 7, 2004
    Victoria
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    If you report symptoms, they test. If you don't, they don't.

InTheSun repped this.
  18. bungadiri

bungadiri Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 25, 2002
    Acnestia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So I got curious about this and looked at the abstract of the NEJM article to see if it clarified anything. Unfortunately, it doesn't provide much detail about the research design, so I called my sister and her husband. He works for Pfizer and they both participated in the trial. Here's what they said:
    • All participants were tested before starting and they all had "lots" of blood drawn. They didn't know if the blood was screened for antibodies.
    • They were also given an app and were expected to report the presence/absence of symptoms every 7 days (or sooner if they began to experience symptoms)
    • They were also sent home with a test kit, which they were expected to self-administer in the event that they felt they might be sick with Covid.
    I suspect--but this is just a guess--that this kind of approach has been used with vaccines before and has been validated. If that's not the case, then I wonder whether this was one of the ways they were able to accelerate the pace of the trial.

Disclaimer: I'm a social scientist who for a few years participated in research grant reviews with the NIH and who also was part of the leadership team for a research project having to do with HIV (which led me to do a lot of reading about research design in this area, in support of grant writing). That doesn't make me anything like an expert on this.

19. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Tuscaloosa, about an hour ago.
    These people really have no clue...

[​IMG]

dapip, celito, ChrisSSBB and 1 other person repped this.
  20. roby

roby Member+

SIRLOIN SALOON FC, PITTSFIELD MA
    Feb 27, 2005
    So Cal
    Called my daughter in the ER about an hour ago. She only had time to quickly tell me ICU's filled and ER at/near capacity with 30 people waiting to be admitted...then hung up. :(

Ps...she's really loving those 12hr shifts!

Kazuma, Dr. Wankler, raza_rebel and 8 others repped this.
  21. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The NY State +ve rate is falling. Maybe the impact of the holiday period is fading.

raza_rebel and ChrisSSBB repped this.
  22. Mike03

Mike03 Member

Jun 7, 2006
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Yikes! I can't imagine the emotional and physical exhaustion. Hope she stays well, roby.

raza_rebel and roby repped this.
  23. spejic

spejic Cautionary example

Mar 1, 1999
    San Rafael, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    It's been that way in California and most of the nation as well. But hospitalizations are a trailing indicator - they will still be going up a while. And deaths a while more than that.

24. ChrisSSBB

ChrisSSBB Member+

Jun 22, 2005
    DE
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I forgot what thread I was in and was alarmed that this was a photo of insurrection bullshit but sighed a breath of relief when realizing it was just a super spreader event. :(

dapip, Auriaprottu, Pønch and 7 others repped this.
  25. Minnman

Minnman Member+

Feb 11, 2000
    Columbus, OH, USA
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think the accelerated pace of these trials has more to do with the virus running rampant through the world's population as much as anything else.

For these trials to generate useful data, they must show that the vaccinated group is being infected at a demonstrably lower rate than the placebo group. We hear about these numbers, 90-some cases, 164 cases, and so on; predefined statistical breakpoints where the independent agencies overseeing these trials compare data from each group.

With so many people becoming infected, these trials have hit those marks far, far earlier than would have been the case for a less severe and pervasive outbreak. In a less severe outbreak, or for a virus that was less transmissible, it could take months for those positive case numbers to be reached. For COVID, it seems to only take several weeks, simply because so many people in the placebo group contract the virus.

bungadiri and celito repped this.