couple questions

Discussion in 'Soccer Boots' started by ucdawg12, Aug 25, 2002.

1. ucdawg12

ucdawg12 New Member

Jun 21, 2002
    Corona Park, NY
    I am entering my sophmore year in highschool, this is my first year at this one however and i dont know anyone.

Anyway I have never played club soccer before because my parents never wanted to drive me far for just soccer but I have played intermural soccer my whole life, I know that intermural sucks and I know that its almost a completly different game style then real soccer but I was very dominant in every position except goalie and was better then most of the kids that did play on club teams. I would have made my old schools team last year but i wasn't in good enough shape to run so I quit the tryouts.

That was a private school however and not a very good team. The new school I am going to is a public school and has a much better soccer team. I have been running the whole summer and I am pretty sure Im in good shape. For any of you that are on a public school team, how many people usually are at the tryouts?

Also I have a problem, I have to take a test to see what classes I will be in and they are on the first 2 days of the tryouts same time too, so I will have to miss the tryouts and most likely have the best tryout possible to stand out after missing 2 days. One more thing, do any of you know how to stop cramps, I still get them when I run but I am able to run through them and deal with the pain but Im afraid during the tryout I am going to get some real bad ones and wondering if drinking alot of water before the day of the tryout will help me, I have 3 days and i am going to drink 20 glasses a day maybe more if I can.

Thanks

2. gerr18

gerr18 New Member

Jul 11, 2002
    For the cramps...drink lots of water...just get a large sized water bottle and refill it all day long. Just drink and drink...and the day before, for dinner...eat a large bowl of pasta, some bread, and a banana right before you go to bed. Get a good stretch before bed and when you wake up as well.

As for the # of people at tryouts...there's no way to tell. It just depends on the school. I know when I tried out, there were about 30 or so kids and he took 18.

Good luck.

3. EQuakes No1

EQuakes No1 New Member

Jul 11, 2002
    San Jose
    I think it depends the area the school is located. If you are going to be going to a hispanic based area school, you may see more players trying out. If you are in a white area, you will see less considering the difference in interest in soccer.

As for the tryout problem, talk to the coach beforehand, dont show up a day later asking to tryout. This will help since you will get to know the coach better and possibly get on his/her good side. Some advice, don't try to be the hot shot there when you are trying out. Worry about passing mainly to make yourself look like a team player, if you shoot everytime you get a chance it won't help yourself. Hope it helps. Good Luck.

4. Fender playa

Fender playa New Member

Mar 18, 2002
    Vancouver/Canada
    for my sophmore year(last year) There was 50(my school only had 700 kids...................) It depands on how good you are at your posisition.like me i was a starter RD, get to know your coach really well, trust me it helps.

Good luck;)

5. JMMUSA8

JMMUSA8 New Member

Nov 3, 2001
    Webster
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    my school, (high school) had about 40 kids try out, about 10-15 left due to be lazy, they took the best 15 and put them on varsity and the rest on JV.

College, I'm on a team that went 2-14-1 and only about 17 kids showed up, so i automatically made the squad. i even got my uniform and pictures taken, without even stepping on the field.

6. LilSister#8

LilSister#8 New Member

Nov 3, 2001
    Olympia, Washington
    My sophomore year of tryouts just ended and about 80-something of us showed up the first day. (my school has something like around 1600 kids) But tryouts were hell, so I think two or three people left in the middle.

My school is very much predominantly white, and there's tons of interest in my area. So, it really does vary as far as number of participants.

Good luck!

7. rymannryan

rymannryan New Member

Aug 27, 2002
    N.N., Virginia
    I'm going into my sophomore year this year and I'm going to try out for varsity and will likely make it, but we don't have our season until the spring. Like the others said, the number varies. Good luck.