Couple questions about the MLS playoffs?

Discussion in 'MLS: General' started by Deleted USer, Oct 31, 2003.

1. Deleted USer

Deleted USer Member+

Jan 7, 2001
    Have they changed the format this year? Did they do away with first to 7 points or whatever format they previously had? I saw it and never liked it so stopped watchingit? What has the MLS to encourage more offense in the playoffs? I guess what I am asking is what type of format to they have to ensure they the underdog doesnt come into someones home and just go for a tie? In the MFL, aside that its home home series and each team is obligated to attack at home in front of its fans, if the underdog is content with sitting back and not attacking and hope for some counterattack.. if the aggregate score is tied, then the team with the higher standing during the season advances. I was skeptical of this format and just though they should do it with away goals... but as of late... it has proven (at least in the MFL) that the visiting team does attack

Is the MLS cup a one shot deal still or is it a home and home series? I hope its a home home series. I noticed that playing a one game final tends to be a bunkerfest.

2. NateP

NateP Member

Mar 28, 2001
    Plainfield, NH, USA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They have indeed changed the format for this year.

1st Round is home and home, aggregate goals. If it is tied after the second game they play a 30 minute golden goal overtime and then PK's if neccessary.

2nd Round is single elimination at the higher seed.

Final is single elimination, played in LA.

Also note the conferences are kept seperate until the final this year, unlike the last few years where other than the conference champs teams were seeded 3-8 by merging the conferences into a single playoff table.

3. Wolves_67

Wolves_67 Member

Oct 27, 2002
    Pasadena, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The thing I might liked changed next year is making the 2nd round also home and away.

4. Deleted USer

Deleted USer Member+

Jan 7, 2001
    thanks

Whats the reason behind making the semifinal matches a one game playoff? I am all for giving the higher seed an advantage in the playoffs, but why one game?

5. bigredfutbol

bigredfutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 5, 2000
    Woodbridge, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Probably reflects the reality of trying to schedule these things last-minute when most teams do not have their own stadium as of yet.

6. ThreeApples

ThreeApples Member+

Jul 28, 1999
    Smurf Village
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes, because it would be really fun to make the regular season even more meaningless.

7. NateP

NateP Member

Mar 28, 2001
    Plainfield, NH, USA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't really know. I think a couple of factors play into it. First they got rid of most of the dreaded mid-week regular season games which pushed the season later this year so making the semi's a single game saves a week. Second I think the whole new playoff system is an effort to throw a few bones to the fans who were so upset at the old system. Advocates of a two-leg system get the first round, while those who favor single elimination the whole way get the semis and final. No one gets all that they want but everyone can be happy with part of it.

8. KCWiz

KCWiz New Member

May 8, 2003
    Manhattan, Kansas
    imo

one game knockout for each round, settle by penalty kicks if its tied, just like in the good ole' days of the early mls. pk's kick ass.

9. Wolves_67

Wolves_67 Member

Oct 27, 2002
    Pasadena, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    With expansion over the next few years that won't be as much the case. Perhaps I may not have thought out the 2nd round being also home and away well enough though. I'm sure both ways have pros and cons.

10. Snarf

Snarf Member

Oct 9, 2003
    Eagle Mountain, UT
    I don't know if I'd go as far as to say PK's kick ass, but I definitely agree with the one game knockout for each round. If we have to have eight teams in the playoffs, don't give the lousy Galaxy a chance to do what they did on saturday and put the quakes, who had a good season, behind the eight ball. The galaxy shouldn't be playing at home unless they make it to the MLS cup final. I would even go as far as to say that the final game should be played in the highest seed's home stadium, but that might have to wait a while until more teams have control of their stadium.

The world cup does one game knockouts, and people really seem to like that tournament. Maybe we should take their lead rather than the Champions League lead.

Just an opinion.

11. brianzappa

brianzappa Member

Oct 21, 2003
    In a big country
    I believe the reason for the one game is because, while this game wil be the semi-final of mls cup, it is actually the final in the Conference Championship.

12. PZ

PZ Member

Apr 11, 1999
    Michiana
    Club:
    Ipswich Town FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Smurf fans are so bitter right now. Is that the sound of Smurf choking I hear?? :p

13. Treetaliano

Treetaliano Member

Jun 29, 2002
    San Diego
    He's just bitter that the Galaxy had a 6 month preseason.

14. soccerfan

soccerfan BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 13, 1999
    New Jersey
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    how do you give advantage to the highest seeded teams ? think about that.

Real advantage is a one game series hosted by the higest seeded team.

question for everyone !

We are in the 8 th MLS season, playoffs never attracted a lot of fans, what should it be done about it? keep with the tradition of american sports even if its seems a waste of time or get rid of the playoffs and have the conference winners go to MLS CUP ?

15. ThreeApples

ThreeApples Member+

Jul 28, 1999
    Smurf Village
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My post was made 8 hours before Saturday's game.

16. PZ

PZ Member

Apr 11, 1999
    Michiana
    Club:
    Ipswich Town FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Why let facts get in the way of a good ribbing? ;)