Could you?

Discussion in 'Inter Miami CF' started by BigTimeBull, Apr 6, 2011.

1. BigTimeBull

BigTimeBull New Member

Aug 29, 2010
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Very simple question here for you guys, if a MLS team were to come to Florida, but it's not in your preferred city (whether that be Orlando, Miami, or Tampa) would you still support that team?

I ask this because of a simple problem i am having. I like the MLS but I can't really get into it all the way because I don't have a team I can love and follow. My first choice for expansion in the state would be Tampa Bay, and I would be in heaven if they got a team. However, i'm not a huge fan of either Orlando or Miami...That being said, I feel like I could support an Orlando MLS team, but not a Miami MLS team. I just can't associate with the city/follow any of their teams. So what about you? If expansion came to a Florida city outside of your favorite, would you still support them?

2. Dammit!

Dammit! Member

Apr 14, 2004
    Mickey Mouse Land
    I would definitely support an MLS team in Tampa - would probably even make it to most of the games...

But Miami is just too far...

So, Tampa=yes. Miami=No.

Or, how about a team near Lakeland? They could be called the "I-4 Cow Pies."

3. WorldGame

WorldGame Member

Aug 28, 2002
    Orlando
    Orlampa FC?

Tamplando City SC?

4. Lucho305

Lucho305 Member

Inter Miami CF, Junior de Barranquilla
    United States
    Jul 9, 2008
    Miami
    Club:
    Miami FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    NO!! I wouldnt be able to follow a team in Tampa yuck!! or Orlando. I dont even want the Ft. Lauderdale strikers to go to MLS because they are in Ft. Lauderdale and not in Miami. Just how Tampa is very diffeent from Miami, The city that resides north of us is very different. I would only follow a team in my city, and maybe Orlando if they were doing something big like RSL is for MLS but Tampa hell no, and Ft. Lauderdale maybe but not really..

5. celeste4life

celeste4life Member

Dec 16, 2007
    United States
    Club:
    CA Peñarol
    Nat'l Team:
    Uruguay
    Yet you choose to support a Seattle team Lucho?

Ft. Lauderdale and Miami are the same thing. That's like saying Im not going to support any team outside of Weston

You also supported Miami FC when they played in Ft. Lauderdale last year

6. Macsen

Macsen Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 5, 2007
    Orlando
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Lucho's gonna be awfully lonely.

As for me, I would support the closest in-state MLS team to me, regardless of where.

7. Lucho305

Lucho305 Member

Inter Miami CF, Junior de Barranquilla
    United States
    Jul 9, 2008
    Miami
    Club:
    Miami FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    yea i guess

8. nick p

nick p Member+

Jul 11, 2009
    Baltimore Maryland
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Miami would be great for MLS.

9. drSoFlaFan

drSoFlaFan DEFEND THE FORT!

Feb 25, 2008
    Plantation, FL
    Club:
    Ft Lauderdale Strikers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would not support a MLS team in Orlando or especially Tampa. I'd bet you that no one in Tampa would support a team in Orlando either. South Florida and Tampa have too much of their own soccer tradition and history. Especially considering the somewhat bogus circumstances surrounding the disbanding of the Fusion and Mutiny, it'll be a cold day in hell before Tampa and So. Fla. support any MLS team in Florida other than their own markets.

I'll support any MLS team in South Florida, be it Fort Lauderdale or Miami. That is assuming it's not some lame marketing ploy form a foreign club like "Chivas USA". I'm not opposed to foreign club ownership, but our team must have it's own unique identity.

10. speedcake

speedcake Member

Dec 2, 1999
    Tampa
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I personally know a handful of people from Tampa who would support an Orlando based MLS team. The vast, vast majority of people would likely never do so however. At least not at first. If it ever looked like no one else in Florida would ever get an MLS team? Maybe more people would give in and support Orlando. However if the NASL survives and FCTB stays in that league and is able to build up serious support then I'd hope and assume most people would stick with it.

An Orlando based MLS team could have some very interesting and possibly damaging affects on any Tampa pro team that isn't also MLS, over time.

Miami? Forget it. Rofl, what kind of question is that? And we wouldn't expect Miami/Ft. Lauderdale people to support at Tampa team.

11. Antique

Antique Member

Nov 11, 2008
    the river of grass
    Club:
    Ft Lauderdale Strikers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Tampa? Yes. I went to HS & graduated in the TB area and lived there for 6+ years. I liked it then and like it now. Would I attend games? Infrequnetly, at best. It is a very long drive & I-75 is boring...;)

Orlando? Probably not. I have no link to the area.

Miami? Yes, of course. I support the Miami Dolphins, the Miami Heat and the soon to be Miami Marlins. I even cheer for the benighted Panter's, too. If it comes to pass that the Strikers have to become the South Florida Strikers or Miami Strikers to enter MLS, I'd support them still.

And, Lucho, mi amigo, how anyone living in South Florida can't support a team in Miami, or Ft Lauderdale, or even West Palm Beach baffles me. You good folk in Miami-Dade should realize that there is more, much, much more, to South Florida than Miami & Miami-Dade, and, like it or not, the 3 Counties are one entity.

Support the sport. Support the Strikers to get MLS in South Florida. It's our only way.

12. WhiteStar Warriors

Mar 25, 2007
    St.Pete/Krakow
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I will not follow a Orlando MLS team, even if lower division doesn't exist.

13. Quick25

Quick25 Member

Nov 9, 2010
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No way for Miami; just way, way too far away. Tampa I would likely at least attend a game or two a year, maybe more if the gameday atmosphere (tailgating, crowd, etc) is really good, but it would be too much of a hike to really get into as well. Probably would never be a real "fan" of the team. I would more than likely keep my allegiances to DC United and watch them play there if anything.

14. speedcake

speedcake Member

Dec 2, 1999
    Tampa
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ya don't get me wrong, I'd definitely drive over to see some MLS games. Probably depending on the opponent and any big friendlies. Just no way it'd be a regular thing.

Unless there is no FCTB in Tampa. Then I'd probably suck it up and become a season ticket holder.

#traitor

15. Macsen

Macsen Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 5, 2007
    Orlando
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wouldn't expect people to drive 90 minutes each way every single match. Especially with gas at $4/gal. You'd be spending more just getting here than on your tickets and parking. :p

16. speedcake

speedcake Member

Dec 2, 1999
    Tampa
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If we'd ever get a rail system I'd go to alot more Magic games and likely many more MLS games. Otherwise ya, the drive and gas expense alone would be prohibitive although depending on where you actually live it can range from "really not that bad" to "yaright that'll take all day, kthxbye".

17. Macsen

Macsen Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 5, 2007
    Orlando
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I've never had a terrible problem getting to and from Rays games. Then again, I live on the south side of Orlando along the Greeneway, and I know to avoid Malfunction Junction and the Howard Frankland Bridge. {I usually shift to the Selmon and cross the bay on the Gandy.) I usually only have problems if there's an accident on the way home in east Hillsborough with all the lookie-loos you get at any accident scene.

HSR won't make much difference to me because they never planned it to St. Pete. Which is why they need to move the Rays to the right side of the bay. That's a discussion for another place, though.

18. JaxFC

JaxFC Member

Aug 30, 2011
    would you guys from orlando and tampa drive to jacksonville?

19. Papadop

Papadop Member

Sep 19, 2010
    Metro Orlando
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Great idea for a thread. I live just about halfway between Tampa and Orlando (a little closer to Orlando / grew up there). I follow the Bucs, Rays and Lightning. Of course, I'm a Magic fan too. I guess I'd be a FCTB fan if they were in the MLS. I would probably not be a fan of a South Floria MLS team.

My first team would be Orlando City (regardless of the league they play in). My scarf says it. I mean it. City Til We Die!

20. O-twn Beat-dwn

Jun 20, 2011
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nope. I hate both cities of Miami and Tampa

And it would be a plus 2hour drive

21. JaxFC

JaxFC Member

Aug 30, 2011
    IF orlando were not receiving a team, would you support a jax mls club?

22. O-twn Beat-dwn

Jun 20, 2011
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    hmm... I would root for them in the MLS but there is no way I would drive all the way up there

23. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Exactly. Which is why folks need to stop worrying about whether MLS has a team in the southeast or no. If the team isn't within an hours drive it won't matter to the local sponsors or 99% of the potential ticket buyers.

You can slap the generic name of "Carolina" on a team, but if it's in Charlotte instead of Raleigh-Durham, they won't be "my" team.

24. song219

song219 BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 5, 2004
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Vanuatu
    This should be stickied to the top of every MLS expansion sub-forum.

25. futbol in Miami

Colombia
    Sep 11, 2011
    Miami
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I only support Miami teams. I just cant see myself supporting anything else outside of it. I dont care how close Ft lauderdale is. i have no connection to that city.