Could this be it for Kocic?

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by United fury, Feb 22, 2009.

1. United fury

United fury Member+

Feb 9, 2007
    Woodbridge, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    With Platter having a good game against PR and looking good, Crayton locked in as the starter(at least until the summer), and Thorpe showing some promise over the last year, is Kocic the odd man out? He seems unwilling to take a developmental deal and has had quite a few mistakes in scrimmages. Not to mention he takes up a foreign slot as well.

2. Eastern Bear

Eastern Bear Member+

Feb 27, 1999
    Great Falls, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    I haven't seen any of the GKs play except for Crayton. It sure would suck to waste a pick on the guy when we could have gone after a center back to compete with all of our div 3 prospects. I hope he turns it around.

3. Count

Count New Member

Oct 7, 2007
    Chapel Hill
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't think Thorpe is going to beat Kocic out for a roster spot, so I guess it all depends on if we can reach a contractual agreement with him.

4. Zman Gunner

Zman Gunner BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 7, 2003
    Middletown, DE
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

If Kocic will only take a senior roster spot and not a developmental spot (a rookie stance which never seems to too popular in the front office when players are drafted in the middle rounds - ask Jay Needham), it does not look great for him as of now. The fact that he would take an international roster spot does not help although with their current crop of players - they have enough international roster spots for all of them. With Crayton coming off a shoulder injury and having a contract which expires in the middle of the season, I am guessing that DCU would rather have an experienced back-up like Platter as opposed to a so far inconsistent Kocic (although he has only played two preseason games). Whoever the 3rd string goalie is, he will be on a developmental contract - no way that the team carries 3 senior roster goalies. As of now, Thorpe gets the spot by default unless Kocic comes down off his salary demands or Graczyk (the goalie acquired from Colorado in the Gomez trade) decides to show up to camp and wins the job but it looks doubtful as of now). If they want to sign Platter, they would have to pay some sort of transfer fee to Minnesota as he is still under contract to them.

5. Bootsy Collins

Bootsy Collins Player of the Year

Oct 18, 2004
    Capitol Hill
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    On the same (goalkeeper) front, some people here defended the high price of the deal that brought Gomez back here by saying that our acquisition in the deal of Mike Graczyk, who was a league pool goalkeeper in 2008, wasn't simply a throwaway despite his past pool status -- it was a solid acquisition for a backup.

He lasted a week of pre-season before we dropped him.

6. Bolivianfuego

Bolivianfuego Your favorite Bolivian

Apr 12, 2004
    Fairfax, Va
    Club:
    Bolivar La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    I dont see Kocic staying with us. Didnt he say he had an offer to play for the red star of belgrade or something like that?

Unless he gets a senior roster spot, i see him walking away from us.

Alsoi find it strange he hasnt impressed much, because through a friend who played keeper in college and knew about kocic and how good he was, he was described as solid, and crazy, something like crayton i guess you can say.

I hope we can get him, but truthfully i dont see it happening.

7. BBBulldog

BBBulldog Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 25, 2004
    Dinamo Zagreb
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Croatia
    for what, their reserves reserves? :D

8. greekchampion04

greekchampion04 Member+

Apr 2, 2006
    Richmond, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    did sombody say redstar?

[​IMG]

9. Lowecifer

Lowecifer Member+

Jan 11, 2000
    Baltimore, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    We need more atheist clubs

10. CHICO13

CHICO13 Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 4, 2001
    SECTION 135
    Club:
    The Strongest La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    Kocic played against an MLS team, Platter against a USL team. Just saying....

11. John L

John L Member+

Sep 20, 2003
    Alexandria, VA
    Unless he has an uncle in charge of a club in eastern Europe, I don't think he's going there - If he was really THAT good, he'd be there already or every team here would have noticed him - He'll either have to take a developmental slot here and bid his time and hope that injuries and loss of form offer him a chance, OR go to a USL team and make an impression in that league and then hope for a loan or signing to an MLS team - Without a full reserve roster and league, these guys have to be more realistic about where they are in the food chain

12. Lowecifer

Lowecifer Member+

Jan 11, 2000
    Baltimore, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    I'd like to see him play at least once before I make a ruling on his career.

:rolleyes:

13. John_Harkes_6

John_Harkes_6 New Member

Mar 29, 2000
    Baltimore, MD.
    I seriously hate the offseason

14. bigredfutbol

bigredfutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 5, 2000
    Woodbridge, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We call this the "Carvallo Rule".

15. Grasscutter

Grasscutter Member

Jan 21, 2003
    Atlantis
    Club:
    DC United
    Well, didn't Kevin Payne say he was about as good as Stefan Frei? If we bail on Kocic, I guess that means Toronto will ditch Frei.
    "We thought [Kocic] was very close to Frei in ability, so to get him at No. 21 [overall] is a steal," Kasper said.

As Chico said, Platter will have to do a lot more than have one good friendly against a Coca-Cola PDL team to supplant Kocic. And since there are more senior roster spots this year and fewer developmental slots, the "no developmental" stance shouldn't be much of an issue.

16. BigKris

BigKris Member

Jan 17, 2005
    Falls Church, VA
    qft

17. highlander

highlander Member

Nov 9, 2002
    Springfield, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It seems like getting a goalkeeper in MLS is easier than filling other positions. I hope that somebody explains this to Kocic. DC has a long history of filling the goalkeeper position with guys that were not high draft picks or big foreign signings (Simpson, Garlick, Perkins). Last year for DC United was a very, very unusual situation as far as being weak at the goalkeeper position is concerned. When a guy talks like Kocic did coming out of college, he is either an amazing, charismatic talent or too cocky for his own good. I was interested in seeing which one of these that Kocic was. I still don't know which one he is, but I guess we will get more information real soon.

18. justakid

justakid Member

Jun 20, 2005
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I vote for the "too cocky for his own good", he's a legend in his own mind !

19. JoeSoccerFan

JoeSoccerFan Member+

Aug 11, 2000
    wait and see. He's pretty good. IF he won't sign, it won't matter - bye bye.

20. Th4119

Th4119 Member

Jul 26, 2001
    Annandale, VA
    I agree with the overall sentiment of your post but can we please stop referring to Puerto Rico as a joke team? A very legitimate argument could be made that in 2008 they were a better team than DC United.

21. Bolivianfuego

Bolivianfuego Your favorite Bolivian

Apr 12, 2004
    Fairfax, Va
    Club:
    Bolivar La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    ^^Yea seriously, They beat friggin Atlante at home pretty badly if i remember right, and were one of the better teams to go to the next round in the Concacaf Champ. League. They derseve respect, and to dismiss them just as a USL side is disrespectful IMO. They did tons better than any MLS team.

22. scaryice

scaryice Member

Jan 25, 2001
    I doubt they'll drop somebody they're so high on. Platter tried out for the Fire last year and got beat out by Nick Noble.

23. highlander

highlander Member

Nov 9, 2002
    Springfield, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Also, do we know what kind of contract that Platter is willing to accept?

24. Zman Gunner

Zman Gunner BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 7, 2003
    Middletown, DE
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Given his age, Platter has to take a senior roster spot - likely $ for a back-up goalie from the USL is likely in the $40K - $50K range if I had to guess. Kocic can still take a developmental contract (likely the $18K senior developmental type) and bump Thorpe from the roster. I would be willingly to guess that more 2nd round picks like Kocic will sign developmental deals as opposed to senior roster deals heading into the season.

Platter trialed with both San Jose and Chicago last year, IIRC. I believe that both teams went with younger, cheaper (i.e. developmental roster) reserve goalies instead of Platter.

25. John L

John L Member+

Sep 20, 2003
    Alexandria, VA
    Our back-up goallee has to be close to be a starting goallee - Doesn't have to be as good as one, but has to be close - I don't think Thorpe's there - If he was, he'd be there by now - I think this comes down to Kocic or Platter - Apparently Platter did well with a thrown-together defense in front of him and facing an attack that had at least played together previous seasons - Kocic could take the #2 slot, but he's really going to have to prove himself