Could the Fire host MLS Cup '06?

Discussion in 'Chicago Fire' started by Marchetti, Nov 13, 2004.

1. Marchetti

Marchetti Member

Sep 23, 2004
    Chicago->STL->Denver
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Each year a new soccer-specific stadium debuts in the American soccer/MLS landscape, that stadium hosts the MLS Cup:

CCS debuted in 1999, but didn't host until 2001 (well, I just contradicted myself there... but hold on)

2003- HDC
    2004- HDC (again...)
    2005- Frisco was announced to host
    2006- Scheduled opening of the Bridgeview Stadium

Could there be a final in which the Fire play in their home stadium??

It's definitely a legitimate theory.

2. onefineesq

onefineesq Member+

Sep 16, 2003
    Laurel, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Very possible, even likely, that the Fire will host MLS Cup '06. Aren't they the only ones opening a stadium that year? As for the Fire being in it ........ well, don't get ahead of yourself! :)

3. DoctorD

DoctorD Member+

Sep 29, 2002
    MidAtlantic
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Mods: please retitle thread to "Could Bridgeview host MLS Cup '06".

4. SABuffalo786

SABuffalo786 New Member

May 18, 2002
    Buffalo, New York
    I'd be surprised if they didn't.

But I'm wondering with these November MLS Cups, if MLS is trying to have all future ones in warm weather climates.

5. Chicago1871

Chicago1871 Member

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That was my first thought too. November in Chicago is hard to predict. It's been beautiful the last two weeks here, but you never know. I don't think they'd had trouble selling out. Fire fans would show up in droves whether or not our boys find their way in.

Just another reason for me to get season tickets again in 06.

6. budalabutt

budalabutt Red Card

Nov 4, 2004
    Chi-town
    I bet a resounding HELLLL YA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

7. ManiacalClown

ManiacalClown Member+

Jun 27, 2003
    South Jersey
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Aren't the MetroTards supposed to be getting their stadium in 2006, as well?

8. jmeissen0

jmeissen0 New Member

Mar 31, 2001
    page 1078
    they have been in limbo... now they are in a worse area of limbo

9. murtaugh29

murtaugh29 New Member

Oct 4, 2004
    roja LOCURA
    definitely a possibility, but MLS has a formal bidding process to host All-Star games and Cup finals.

10. genpabloescobar

Feb 17, 2002
    They should find out in 60-90 days.

11. GoHawks4

GoHawks4 Member

Apr 24, 2002
    Chicago
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You beat me to it. :D

12. swedcrip34

swedcrip34 New Member

Mar 17, 2004
    very likely

13. churchill2000

churchill2000 3x MLS Cup Champions

Jul 12, 2004
    Monde Virtuel
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Before news hit, that NJ was having problems with building the stadium, NJ was probably a lock for 06' MLS Cup, however, I think that as long as the stadium in Jersey isn't ready come november, Chicago will host MLS Cup regardless of weather.
    Recall first MLS Cup? The weather wasn't picture perfect.

14. swedcrip34

swedcrip34 New Member

Mar 17, 2004
    for the last few months, who really believe a 06 Harrison stadium was really in the offing, would like to see a show of hands. I'm as hopeful as anyone, but if you're hand is up, please allow your nearest loved one to handle your money. Avoid email spammers, telemarketers, and "not available in store" TV ads. No buying into investments, etc. I could go on, but this hasn't been funny for a while

15. swedcrip34

swedcrip34 New Member

Mar 17, 2004
    I want to apologize for my above comments. They're out of line. Didn't mean to personally direct them towards the quoted poster, but stupidly didn't realize that is how it'd sound. Feel free to delete it mods. Was trying to craft a lame joke into a not so lame joke, but obviously didn't do so well. Was more trying to mock what the Metrostars front office wants us to believe. Again, sorry.

16. jjayg

jjayg New Member

May 9, 2002
    Rolling Ghettos, IL
    I too question having the MLS Cup in a cold weather venue. Not saying that it can't and shouldn't happen, it just seems like it COULD be a stumbling block.
    I might expect, almost guarantee, that we sould get the All-star game (oh joy) in '06 and not the cup.
    Anything is possible though.

17. feuerfex

feuerfex Member

Apr 21, 2001
    Inasmuch as the average high temperature for November in this part of the world is 48°, and the average low is 31°, that makes the average average temperature about 40°. Nor the best kind of weather to attempt attract large quantities of people to a game. Now if they moved it back to mid-October (when the Cup in Columbus was played), it might work out all right.

18. -cman-

-cman- New Member

Apr 2, 2001
    Clinton, Iowa
    Bah! Buncha pansies! Whaddaya think this is pointyball?! They have Euro Cup games in Russia in November for Chrissakes! Northern lEuropean leagues play all winter long save for the occasional 4 weeks off in Dec-Jan.

There would be little problem filling a 22,000 seat venue in Chicago in November for a Cup Final. I think that whatever the slack the travelling fan base leaves would be taken up by the local fans -- assuming of course that the Fire are not in the final. If we were to host a Final where we played, I pity the visiting team. :D

19. budalabutt

budalabutt Red Card

Nov 4, 2004
    Chi-town

I am just dying of laughter here thinking about how the MetroStars will probably never host an MLS Cup in our lifetime!!! LOL they havent in the last 10 years of the league. BA HAHAHAHAAHAHAHA. NIck S is a god of mediocrity.

20. jjayg

jjayg New Member

May 9, 2002
    Rolling Ghettos, IL
    We know that chicago fans are not pansies. I was just speaking to what the league might think. But again, anything is possible.