Could Northwest Arkansas Support a MLS team?

Discussion in 'MLS: Expansion' started by Ilovecolombia redded, Oct 21, 2004.

1. seadonkey

seadonkey Member

Aug 1, 2000
    Dallas
    I am being serious when I say the true Arkansasans ARE hillbillies. Maybe not the "one strap with the cover-alls and a straw hat hillbilly" but hillbilly is a way a life, a culture. And they have made it blossom througout the years. Just look in the back woods when driving along the road while you're going through the Ozarks. What do you see? Perhaps an outhouse made in the teens and is STILL being used? Or perhaps a long clothesline being stretched from two might oaks with ma and pa's longjohn's hanging loosely on 'em. Hillbillies are still alive and "kicking" in Arkansas and nothing you say can deter from the truth.

VIVA LA HILLBILLY F.C.!!!!

2. panicfc

panicfc Member+

Dec 22, 2000
    In my chair, typing
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Most logical thing you've said.

Okay the American City Business Journals did a study, they found the following cities in Arkansas to be capable of hosting an MLS team based on the Total Personal Income and the Available personal Income.

http://msnbc.msn.com/id/6143100/

Little Rock is around 55 (and that is omitting the entire state of Connecticut) they have $39.3 billion - and that is at 100% of what is needed for an MLS team.

Fayetteville is around 126 - with $10.3 billion available for a team....this ranks at 75% of what is needed for an MLS team.

Fort Smith - 7.5 billion, 55 %

Jonesboro: 6.2 bill 45%

So I don't think that section of the globe can get it done, but it would be a nice place for an A-league team if an owner ever showed up and you had a nice stadium.

Good luck with the dream though.

===
    Side note: I had to drive into West Memphis from Memphis several times back late 1999 and early 2000. As I entered the state of Arkansas they had a sign "Welcome to Arkansas - home of Bill and Hillary Clinton"

Spray painted was "Bastard" and "Bitch" in red paint.

two weeks later made the trip again - black paint. A few months later - red paint was back.

Got to Fayetteville, was eating pizza in the best local place - CNN came on, Clinton doing a speech - and the local patrons starting throwing food at the tvs. The owner had placed plexi-glass in front of the big screens to avoid damage as this apparently happened repeatedly.

I asked the owner what was up with this activity"hell we all hate the man and his damn wife. Hate them."

;)

3. seadonkey

seadonkey Member

Aug 1, 2000
    Dallas
    and to correct myself, I believe it is "Arkansans" not "Arkansasans" I apologize for that horrible reference. They're still hillbillies!

4. seadonkey

seadonkey Member

Aug 1, 2000
    Dallas
    MLS 2009 SEASON
    Metrostars
    KC Wizards
    LA Galaxy
    Hillbilly F.C.
    Columbus Crew
    Real Salt Lake
    CD Chivas USA
    Colorado Rapids
    FC Hillbilly de Rochester
    New England Revolution
    FC Dallas
    DC United
    Sporting Club (Hillbilly) Seattle
    Chicago Fire

5. seadonkey

seadonkey Member

Aug 1, 2000
    Dallas
    you think by then they'll put a team in philly?

6. panicfc

panicfc Member+

Dec 22, 2000
    In my chair, typing
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Racing Indianapolis is a definite team.

===
    Hillbilly line heard near El Dorado (Pronounced L DoRAYda) - "She's not just my sister, she's my wife"

;)

7. somaside

somaside New Member

Aug 17, 2004
    killumbus o-hi-er
    Just a thought, but could this possibley be a ploy by these red neck southeners to round up all their minorities so they could lynich them or something?
    ...just remember: southeners ARE racist bastards!!

8. seadonkey

seadonkey Member

Aug 1, 2000
    Dallas
    Being from Wichita, you got some "what is the word" I dunno - saying that! I love the idea BUT never in a millions years. Love the thought of it though!

9. seadonkey

seadonkey Member

Aug 1, 2000
    Dallas
    ok now you're stereotyping. It was eventually gonna happen on a thread like this!

10. seadonkey

seadonkey Member

Aug 1, 2000
    Dallas
    ok now you're stereotyping. It was eventually gonna happen on a thread like this! And I love ILOVECOLUMBIA for having the gall to put up such a "special" and "unique" thread!

Believe me folks, you heard it right here: Hillbilly F.C. WILL be 2009 MLS Champions!!

11. Scarecrow

Scarecrow Red Card

Feb 13, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I hope for the sake of Ark that Clinton wasn't the greatest thing to ever come from that state. If that is true, then I feel very bad for them there.

12. Marchetti

Marchetti Member

Sep 23, 2004
    Chicago->STL->Denver
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    I will give Ilovecolombia credit for even posting this... but he's still wrong.

13. swedcrip34

swedcrip34 New Member

Mar 17, 2004
    Props for the interesting thread though some of the arguments were scary.

If they'd actually call the team Hillbilly FC, I'd drop all reason and back the concept.

14. panicfc

panicfc Member+

Dec 22, 2000
    In my chair, typing
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  15. seadonkey

seadonkey Member

Aug 1, 2000
    Dallas
    checked out the stadium, sorry it has no pull over Hillbilly FC.

16. panicfc

panicfc Member+

Dec 22, 2000
    In my chair, typing
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You read all of that thread?

That's comedy gold over there. Of course we don't have the cool name like NW Arkansas Hillbilly FC, but the fact that we could be rivals with both New York and Boston would be worth something.

17. Guido

Guido New Member

Apr 7, 2004
    New Orleans, LA
    I live in New Orleans, and we have a PDL team,
    The Shellshockers, and New Orleans is a veritable
    metropolis compared to NW Ark, and we couldn't
    get 5,000 to an MLS game if we tried. So no
    soccer in NW Ark.

-Guido

18. panicfc

panicfc Member+

Dec 22, 2000
    In my chair, typing
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hey Guido!

New Orleans drew 13,000 for the old Gamblers v US U23's team back in 1996 and over 15K for the US Women v Brazil back in 2003. Plus they have Tad Gormley stadium - 26K seats, but its got a track.

Large Honduran community (over 100,000) and you are still right...they couldn't support an MLS team unless Benson moved the Saints to Los Angeles.

19. seadonkey

seadonkey Member

Aug 1, 2000
    Dallas
    You think that Hillbilly FC will just be for NW Arkansas fans alone? Nooooooo sir! You are GRAVELY mistaken! HIllbilly FC will become a "mecca" for hillbillies around this beautiful land called America. Look at CD Chivas USA, just like attracting the hispanic, so will Hillbilly FC attract the, well, the hillbillies!
    "They will come, Ray."

20. panicfc

panicfc Member+

Dec 22, 2000
    In my chair, typing
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I can see your point. Hillbilly FC...were every player has a beard like ZZ Top, the cheerleaders won't just be the sisters of the players, they'll also be their wives or mothers of their children...Dueling Banjos will be the lineup song....cheers from the stands will say "Great goal Uncle Daddy!"....toothpicks will be given out to all in attendance...the first give away will be a pair of overalls....second give away...a shotgun....Yes, Hillbilly FC ....shorts made of denim, just like those WC 94 US uniforms were supposed to be....plaid shirts......Hillbilly FC....Soooooweeeeeee Soooooooweeeeeeeeeeee

21. Red Star

Red Star Member

Jan 10, 2002
    Fayetteville, AR
    The question is interesting because the growth in NW Arkansas has been explosive in the last 15 years and has some unusual aspects. A large influx of hispanic population and an even larger growth in the local economy.

I don't think that Reynold's Stadium, the Football stad where the Razorbacks play would be a good fit.
    It is my impression that it is not wide enough. In addition I believe that the trend is towards SSS. I will agree that the stadium is very nice and the video display is stunning, purportedly the largest in the world. It intereferes with FAA radio traffic.

The population numbers regarding the large Hispanic population actually sound about right. Unfortunately that demographic does not have a track history of strongly supporting MLS. (that may be about to change in LA).

A MLS team is probably over reaching but this market could be a good fit for a USL team. If they could find an appropriate venue. It is the wealthiest part of the state, it has suffered from a large influx of professionals attracted to Wal Mart and Tyson, it has a strong presence in youth and adult soccer. The market has supported college football & basketball quite well.

Could Northwest Arkansas support a MLS team? Yes theoretically. As a practical matter however, there are much better options available for expansion. Lets face it, if some sugar daddy shows up with the cash, the single entity would accept a team almost anywhere, simply show me the money. The Walton family could easily afford and abosorb an annual 100% loss of investment, however rich people didn't get rich by thinking like that.

I am not a racist and I object to that characterization.

22. denver_mugwamp

denver_mugwamp New Member

Feb 9, 2003
    Denver, Colorado
    Anybody remember who designed the Colorado Caribou unis? Maybe they deserve another shot at immortality.

23. panicfc

panicfc Member+

Dec 22, 2000
    In my chair, typing
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Red Star...I think he was joking. We all know Racism is everywhere...New England, Deep South, Far West...Canada...Europe..everywhere.

24. Red Star

Red Star Member

Jan 10, 2002
    Fayetteville, AR

Doesn't look like a joke, doesn't sound like a joke, doesn't touch on a topic appropriate for joking.

Lynch? I don't know of anyone that could find that funny, not a single person in my acquaintance would consider that a joke.

I think that you are too kind panic. Not everyone knows what they should.

25. somaside

somaside New Member

Aug 17, 2004
    killumbus o-hi-er

I do think I touched a nerve with that one...

texas is the reason