Could MLS loose their Canadian teams?

Discussion in 'MLS: Commissioner - You be The Don' started by pieper1850, Feb 4, 2016.

1. pieper1850

pieper1850 Member

Jan 15, 2016
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Would Toronto, Montreal, and Vancouver leave MLS in favor of the new Canadian Premier League?

2. X@V!3R

X@V!3R Member

Apr 6, 1999
    Land of the Lost
    No.

But the NASL should be a little concerned about Ottawa and Edmonton.

Elninho, When Saturday Comes and JasonMa repped this.
  3. billf

billf Member+

May 22, 2001
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No, I don't think any of those teams would want to leave and it would probably cost tens of millions to split them out of the MLS llc

When Saturday Comes and JasonMa repped this.
  4. KCbus

KCbus Moderator
    Staff Member

United States
    Nov 26, 2000
    Reynoldsburg, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think MLS could tight their Canadian teams, not loose them.

TheJoeGreene, Cirris, GoodDead and 6 others repped this.
  5. When Saturday Comes

Apr 9, 2012
    Calgary
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Hundreds of millions - minimum

billf repped this.
  6. Yoshou

Yoshou Fan of the CCL Champ

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Considering Ottawa's owners are reportedly one of the owners in the CPL? Possible. They could also be starting a reserve team in CPL, but that would seem to create issues about calling it a D1 league.

7. Elninho

Elninho Member+

Sacramento Republic FC
    United States
    Oct 30, 2000
    Sacramento, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The only semi-realistic involvement of the Canadian MLS teams in the Canadian Premier League is moving their reserve teams from the USL to the CPL.

The TFC and Montreal Impact U-18 academy teams used to consistently finish in the upper half of the CSL before the league folded.

8. Achowat

Achowat Member+

Mar 21, 2011
    Revere, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Right from the title, you knew this was going to be a good idea.

Canada's two most popular sports have either 7 Canadian teams (and a bunch of US teams) or 9 teams. Population centers to make real-time professional sports work in Canada alone are simply lacking.

aetraxx7 repped this.
  9. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You left out curling! :D

10. Achowat

Achowat Member+

Mar 21, 2011
    Revere, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Curling doesn't have a central league, which is why it was excluded. I love me some curling. I literally watched some tonight.

JasonMa repped this.
  11. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    NBC Sports? I got too frustrated watching the U.S. team miss shots that decent curlers make.

ESPN3 will supposedly have the Scottie's Tournament of Hearts later this month and the Tim Horton's Brier next month. They did last year as well.

edwardgr repped this.
  12. FootySkeptic

FootySkeptic Member

Sep 24, 2015
    Club:
    Cardiff City FC
    The CSL has not folded. Still alive and kicking-> http://www.tsn.ca/rcmp-opens-investigation-into-canadian-soccer-league-1.432095

USL teams will likely stay in USL. The CPL does not want reserve teams out of the gate.

13. KCbus

KCbus Moderator
    Staff Member

United States
    Nov 26, 2000
    Reynoldsburg, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was actually surprised to find out a few years back that we have a curling club in Columbus. I keep meaning to check it out sometime.

14. edwardgr

edwardgr Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 6, 2006
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #14 edwardgr, Feb 7, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 7, 2016
    The USA needs the NCAA to implement Curling as a varsity sport in order to grow our Olympic pool. Should be relatively inexpensive to implement provided there is a suitable curling rink or ice capable arena available. It could also act as a decent title IX offset for those schools that need it.

Kidding..... for the most part.

HailtotheKing and JasonMa repped this.
  15. s1xoburn

s1xoburn Member

Aug 25, 2014
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    The schools that tend to need Title IX offsets are ones with football teams, and relatively few schools have football teams in Curling country (Minnesota, Wisconsin, etc). They would also need to construct dedicated facilities for curling, and is probably unlikely. We might just have to let Canada have this :)

16. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If we were to take this seriously it wouldn't be difficult for a college to partner with a local curling club to find facilities. Seattle has a large curling club that UW could use for example. I don't know if Boulder has one for CU but Denver has a couple. ;)

17. s1xoburn

s1xoburn Member

Aug 25, 2014
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    How common is this for smaller sports? I know some football teams share with other teams, but I can't think of many smaller sports that aren't played on campus in most places.

Club curling does exist at the college level (http://www.collegecurlingusa.org/) and they have places to practice, so maybe they could just use this. I don't know if there are enough teams from schools that readily hand out athletic scholarships, and if there aren't scholarships then the difference between club and NCAA is probably not huge (maybe the school could cover non-scholarship costs?)

edwardgr and JasonMa repped this.
  18. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'd think of it like college golf. Most college golf teams don't have a campus course, they play at a course near the college.

edwardgr repped this.
  19. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well they'd lose at least US $100 off their current $175 million valuation, given there are only 6 urban areas with a population over 1 million.

How much interest do you think Toronto vs Saskatoon would really generate?

20. The Devil's Architect

Feb 10, 2000
    The American Steppe
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Could MLS loose their Canadian teams?
    [​IMG]

HailtotheKing repped this.
  21. CoconutMonkey

CoconutMonkey Member

Aug 3, 2010
    Japan
    Club:
    Chicago
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  22. Elninho

Elninho Member+

Sacramento Republic FC
    United States
    Oct 30, 2000
    Sacramento, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think it's not uncommon for club soccer teams to play their games off campus, even if they practice on campus. For NCAA teams in all sports, it happens less frequently, but it does exist, especially at schools with urban campuses. The St. John's soccer teams didn't play on campus until 2002 when they built a rooftop stadium. Before that, they drove 16 miles out to Mitchel Athletic Complex in Uniondale for home games.

EvanJ repped this.
  23. Achowat

Achowat Member+

Mar 21, 2011
    Revere, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was watching the US/China Women's match of the US Cup from NBCSN...3rd end I turned it off and did something else. Open centreline, just needed a draw to the button, but nope, China steals one.

JasonMa repped this.
  24. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Canadian situation would be similar to that in Wales where the top four teams play in another country's league system (much to the disdain of UEFA), while Welsh Premier League matches look more like this.

upload_2016-2-28_15-39-55.png

That is actually CPD Rhyl's stadium.

Just replace the cow with a bull and you have Calgary FC. :p

aetraxx7 and CoconutMonkey repped this.
  25. Gamecock14

Gamecock14 Member+

May 27, 2010
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    I remember listening to a Canadian Soccer guy on Sirius Radio a few weeks ago. Basically the Canadian League wants to have teams in Toronto and Vancouver. Not to compete with MLS, but to have a team in the major Canadian media markets. They want to have the three Canadian teams remain in MLS due to higher level of competition (ie Wales in EPL). They are not going to force any NASL teams to join with the new league. However, Ottawa is basically on board and they hope the travel and costs associated with travel will dissuade Edmonton from continuing in the NASL.

Will post link if I can find the audio.

The Franchise repped this.