Could Mexico or Canada host a succesful Gold Cup?

Discussion in 'CONCACAF' started by Crazy_Yank, Sep 2, 2010.

1. Jimmy America

Jimmy America Member

Jun 4, 2005
    Nerys Eyebrows
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    A good option would actually be hosting it in TWO Countries. Like some games in Mexico and some in the U.S.

The games that would draw bad in Mexico because of a low immigrant population could be hosted in the U.S.

And then give both Mexico and the U.S. a good home game, or two, that
    would draw well in either country.

You could possibly even throw Canada in there and give them a game in Toronto which would draw very well because of a lot of immigrants in that city.

dam, I must say this is a brilliant idea. Where do I apply to become the head of CONCACAF?

2. Soccerfever

Soccerfever Member

Aug 30, 2001
    Laval(Canada)
    It happened in 1993 and most recently,in 2003.

The thing that CONCACAF should do(at least giving it an attempt once),is try to change the reputation of the tournament for the better in order to not have to rely on immigrant population to make sure that a match is attended wherever it's played.

The tournament has already been co-hosted in the past,on two occasions.Both times it was the US with Mexico.

I'm against it and I'm Canadian.The reason why is because it has been mentionned in the past by many posters that each countries could host there respective groups.The thing that people seem to forget is that Canada is a big country,the US is a big country too and Mexico is smaller than both Canada and the US but it is still a big country.So,once it would get to the knock out stages,teams would have to travel from on end of North America to the other,thousands of miles by air travel for a knockout round...you get the picture?That's why I'm in favor of having a country from Central America hosting this.

If you're willing to run against the corrupted Jack Warner, you have all my support!;)

3. JYDA

JYDA Member

Sep 10, 2003
    The 2009 Gold Cup was just as nuts. Canada went from LA to Columbus to Miami to Philadelphia. Mexico played all 6 gold cup matches in 6 different cities (Oakland, Houston, Phoenix, Dallas, Chicago, New York).

4. Soccerfever

Soccerfever Member

Aug 30, 2001
    Laval(Canada)
    But when you think of it,it is unthinkable that Mexico,a country that has a population of 110+millions cannot get decent crowds for a Gold Cup hosted on their own.I got back a few pages in this thread and red some interesting details that I didn't pay attention to earlier.

If Mexico is willing to host a Gold Cup in a not so distant future,maybe they should think about trying to play some of the games away from Estadio Azteca in Mexico City.

I can't believe that,for example,a match between Costa Rica and Cuba or a Honduras against Guatemala match can't draw decent/well anywhere in the country(Mexico).Football/soccer is the number 1 sport in Mexico so there has to be some place in the country where people will be interested in watching non-Mexico matches.Again,we are talking about a country that has a population of over 110 millions.

And,a regional event shouldn't be held exclusively in countries where there are a lot of immigrants/expats.So,with that said,it's partly CONCACAF's job to make sure that a potential regional event is well attended,wherever it's played.

And when it comes to the current format,why are some of the matches played in 70k stadiums when they know damn well that the stadiums won't be filled to capacity(not even close)?It's been like that in the last few editions.**..Why not smaller stadiums?

5. Rafael Hernandez

Rafael Hernandez Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 6, 2002
    It's not just Mexico City. Mexico has hosted youth world cup qualifiers a number of times and oustide Mexico city (Culiacan, Guadalajara) and the attendance for the non mexico games were beyond atrocious. People in Mexico just consider CONCACAF to be the bottom of the barrel. You also have to take into account that it's supposed to make money, which is the whole point. Surely if they give free tickets, people may go, but what would be the point of that? I really don't see anywhere in Mexico where they are the facilities to host it to have people buy tickets to see game of CONCACAF teams.

6. msers

msers New Member

Oct 10, 2010
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    The Gold Cup will remain in the US for the foreseeable future. There is no open bidding process like Euro or World Cups, CONCACAF has an agreement in place already. The right to host and promote the Gold Cup is held by a private corporation called Soccer United Marketing.

http://www.sumworld.com/company-overview/

7. drunkguy10

drunkguy10 El Sancho

Dec 26, 2006
    No idea
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    they own the rights to promote it in the U.S. I doubt they have ownership of the tournament to the point of mandating its hosting in the U.S.

8. Blizzard

Blizzard Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 25, 2002
    Toronto
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Ah yes, good old MLS owned SUM.

Scroll down to the bottom of that page for this:

© 2010 SUMWORLD.com. All Rights Reserved. MLS, Major League Soccer, the MLS logo, MLS team identifications, MLS Cup, MLS All-Star Game, their designs, logos, uniform designs, color combinations and slogans used on or in connection with this site are trademarks, copyrighted designs and other forms of intellectual property of Major League Soccer, L.L.C., and may not be used, in whole or part, without the prior written consent of Major League Soccer, L.L.C. All Rights Reserved.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Soccer_United_Marketing

9. Soccerfever

Soccerfever Member

Aug 30, 2001
    Laval(Canada)
    Taking into account what was said in the last 4 posts before this one,CONCACAF is gonna have to give/offer us something different at one point because it gives the same people the advantages which doesn't make it fair at all for some of us.And personnally,I'm getting less and less interested in this thing because of the way the governing body of this region is handling the situation.They keep giving us the same thing over and over with absoltuley no attempt at trying something new.How are they expecting this confederation to progress as a whole when they are not rewarding the smaller teams of the region?I'm sick of the injustice that some countries are facing,it's digusting!

10. Pønch

Pønch Saprissista

Aug 23, 2006
    Donde siempre
    And yet, those smaller teams that are not being rewarded do not seem to think the gold cup is worth making an effort and bid to host it.

So it's kind of catch 22. Concacaf does not care to make the gold cup a real tournament, and therefore nobody really takes the whole thing seriously enough to bid for hosting it.

I believe that is a spectacular fail for concacaf.

11. Soccerfever

Soccerfever Member

Aug 30, 2001
    Laval(Canada)
    You can't blame them for that(I know you're not)!Because seeing how awfully this thing is staged,they figure out that it wouldn't be a good investment.

It has gone to a point where everybody should pull out of this joke of a tournament.It really isn't worth it anymore...

Agreed.

12. Liverpoolfc1810

Mar 20, 2010
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    to be honest ithink they could but i wouldnt want them to

13. Solid444

Solid444 Member+

Jun 21, 2003
    Mexico City could host this tournament without any problem. There just aren´t enough fans of the other teams to fill the stadiums and make the money.

14. BigDreams

BigDreams Member

Aug 22, 2010
    Windsor, ON, Canada
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    El Salvador
    If Canada can host a "Womens World Cup" which they officially will be doing, Im sure Canada can host a GoldCup.

15. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Canada could host a Gold cup easily. Just make two separate geographical groupings. One plays in Vancouver, Edmonton, Calgary etc, the other plays in Toronto, Montreal, Ottawa, Hamilton.

The quarters and semis stay in those geographic groupings and meet in the final in Toronto.

16. El Chuma

El Chuma BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 17, 2005
    San Diego
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That would be cool, Canada could attract good crowds for all teams.

17. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I went to a Honduras-Canada WC Qualifier and the place was sold out. Roughly 13K. The border line was also ridiculously long and several people were getting detained after the game. :(

18. Soccerfever

Soccerfever Member

Aug 30, 2001
    Laval(Canada)
    Why is that?

19. MRschizoid21

MRschizoid21 Member

Nov 5, 2004
    Brooklyn, NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    To be honest, somebody needs to appeal to FIFA or something to do something about this. It shouldn't be just about selling out as many 90,000 seat stadiums as possible.

A tournament like this could easily be held in 4 or 5 venues. 3 could very well be enough.

Say a Canadian tournament with Vancouver, Toronto, Edmonton, and Montreal as hosts.

Some of the Central American countries could team together Honduras/Guatemala, Costa Rica/Panama.

Mexico could also. Use some of the Mexico City venues, Cancun, some border towns. Easy.

Caribbean could be more tricky. Maybe have some years where the tournament is hosted by the top 3 finishers in the qualifiers. They could have backups waiting in case some facilities are too small. I'm sure Warner and his people would love to get more tourists to T&T.

20. mikeyjames

mikeyjames Member

Jun 20, 2009
    canada can host it but having mexico hosting it is just asking for problems...just imagine El Salvador or Honduras beating mexico in mexico. what do you think will happen when a few thousand Salvadorian or Honduran fans are leaving the stadium amongst 70 thousand mexican fans ?... its not safe for the other fans to be there so mexico is out of the question.

21. Misterioso

Misterioso Member

Dec 10, 2005
    This is an excellent point, can you imagine what would've happened if Costa Rica had won a Gold Cup match instead of the insignificant 2001 WCQ known as the Aztecazo. :rolleyes:

22. Pønch

Pønch Saprissista

Aug 23, 2006
    Donde siempre
    Yes, because as we all know, all mexicans are violent, brutish and irrational :rolleyes:

Of all the half-assed excuses to avoid having this joke of a tournament anywhere else, this one is the dumbest by far.

23. CyberAce100

CyberAce100 Member+

Jul 4, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

24. mikeyjames

mikeyjames Member

Jun 20, 2009
    nobody said anything about all mexicans being violent, brutish and irrational, your the one that said it not me. Mexicans are passionate about their team so if they were to lose in mexico do you really think 70 thousands mexican fans will stand there and watch a couple thousand Salvadorian, costa rican or Honduran fans wave their flags in there stadium :rolleyes: its too dangerous to have the tournament in mexico...as a mexican you need to put your self in the shoes of the fans from another country and imagine your self cheering for you team amongst 70 thousands Mexicans in Mexico. chances are you will get jumped.

just imagine 30 Jamaicans amongst 70 thousands mexican fans. are really going to tell me that there in not a good chance that those people won't get beat down if not murdered. its easy to be mexican and say i want the cup is mexico because you can go to the games with out any problems but what about the other fans ? can you honestly tell me you would feel safe at a gold cup in mexico being from another country ? you gotta be crazy man. if mexico is not playing hardly anybody would attend the other games which means concacaf loses money so mexico is out of the question it between Canada & the U.S. the gold cup will never be in mexico.

25. El Washatero

El Washatero Member+

Nov 5, 2007
    AP Top 25!
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes because we all know of the hundreds of Germans and Italians that were attacked in 70 and 86

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes: