Could it be that bush has some friends heavily invested in Iran?

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by Chris M., Aug 28, 2007.

1. BenReilly

BenReilly New Member

Apr 8, 2002
    I'm reminded of one of the defining moments of the Iraq war, when the Bush Administration decided to protect the Oil Ministry instead of the Iraq Museum.

2. John Kevin W. Desk

John Kevin W. Desk New Member

Mar 5, 2007
    Over and over again? I can only think of one example - when the South decided to end slavery through cultural evolution.

What?

3. Yankee_Blue

Yankee_Blue New Member

Aug 28, 2001
    New Orleans area
    I dunno. That prohibition thing stopped people from drinking. The war on drugs ended illegal drug use. The war on poverty ended poverty.

What say?

4. Matt in the Hat

Matt in the Hat Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 21, 2002
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And that ended nice and tidy. After about 100 years.

5. Matt in the Hat

Staff Member

Sep 21, 2002
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's up to the colonized to make them evolve.

6. John Kevin W. Desk

Mar 5, 2007
    Has cultural evolution done jack shit about any of those?

Give me one. One cultural evolution without government help of any kind. Government helped stop child labor in this country. Not seeing cultural evolution doing much about child labor elsewhere.

7. mmk786

mmk786 Member

Jul 16, 2007
    thats what Gandhi said but he also said that sometimes you need to fight to make people understand, like the Nazis

8. Matt in the Hat

Staff Member

Sep 21, 2002
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's a very fair point. If necessary, those being oppressed must stand and fight if their spot in life is not acceptable.

9. Matt in the Hat

Staff Member

Sep 21, 2002
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes. Poverty

http://article.nationalreview.com/?q=MjE3NTA4Yjc0NjQxMDA4ZjhlZjczMWM0YWNlM2JhOTg=

And as more opportunity develops the poor's lot in life gets better.

This in little thanks to the War on Poverty which continues to enslave people an a substandard existence.

By that measure, instead of stopping trade with South Africa, perhaps every artist, musician, company in the west that called for an end to apartheid should have had insisted that their records/goods get fabricated in Soweto.

Technology stopped child labor. Government just closed the door.

10. mmk786

mmk786 Member

Jul 16, 2007
    so you think only those being oppressed by the nazis should have fought them? Should Americans not have joined the war effort?

11. Matt in the Hat

Staff Member

Sep 21, 2002
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If we are going to interfere with another nation in such a way we need to declare war on them (althout technically Hitler declared war on us after we did it to Japan). IMO that is the only constitutional remedy for foriegn atrocities as it forces everyone to be on the same page.

12. bigredfutbol

bigredfutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 5, 2000
    Woodbridge, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm drawing some logical conclusions about what you think should have been done about slavery in the 1860s, and I'm not liking the conclusions I'm coming to.

13. bigredfutbol

bigredfutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 5, 2000
    Woodbridge, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nonsense. There were not great technological changes in the middle of the Industrial Revolution that suddenly made child labor inefficient and not cost-effective.

And it was the technological innovation of the cotton gin that helped entrench slavery in the antebellum South, just when the institution was beginning to fade. Slavery was more--not less--entrenched in 1850 than it was in 1800 or so.

14. Matt in the Hat

Staff Member

Sep 21, 2002
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would have let the south go.

15. Matt in the Hat

Staff Member

Sep 21, 2002
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Technology would have phased out slavery as well. Deere and Company was formed only 3 short years following the civil war.

16. Claymore

Claymore Member

Jul 9, 2000
    Montgomery Vlg, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As long as we're making assumptions, couldn't it be argued that the end of slavery spurred the development of alternative production methods?

17. bigredfutbol

bigredfutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 5, 2000
    Woodbridge, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The sort of farm equipment they were making in the early 1870s didn't have much to do with picking cotton.

And this is slavery we're talking about, Matt. You would have been willing to sacrifice yet another generation or more to that loathsome institution so that technology and the market could do their magic.

The real problem was that Reconstruction was half-assed and finally abandoned unfinished. It wasn't too much government interference that doomed civil rights for a century after the war, it was too little government interference.

18. Matt in the Hat

Staff Member

Sep 21, 2002
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We could if Deere and Co. was formed in the south. But it's headquarters is and always has been in Illinois

19. Matt in the Hat

Staff Member

Sep 21, 2002
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would let it continue in the CSA as that is not my nation. I would not tollerate it in the USA.

Because there was no social will to contiune it. That's why the process took 100 years. The public needs to be on board for such grand changes to be successful.

20. bigredfutbol

bigredfutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 5, 2000
    Woodbridge, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's pretty disingenuous. Not to mention short-sighted.

Come on now, it was a backroom political comprimise that finished Reconstruction. Sure, the public wasn't thrilled about it, and sure there was strong opposition in the South. That's one example of a situation where real leadership is called for.

21. Chris M.

Chris M. Member+

Jan 18, 2002
    Chicago
    I honestly can't remember. Didn't you support the iraq war from the outset?

If yes, then please square that circle.

22. Matt in the Hat

Staff Member

Sep 21, 2002
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was against the Iraq war up until the minute it started. From then until now I've just been rooting for the best result.

23. Matt in the Hat

Staff Member

Sep 21, 2002
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Why do you say?

The nation was not interested in electing such leaders at that time.

24. John Kevin W. Desk

Mar 5, 2007
    Nor were they in the 1950's. Ike was always furious about Brown v. Board of Education. Fortunately, there was a Supreme Court willing to protect rights against what was then the will of the majority. Just like in 2000. I make a small joke.

I wish we could change the subject to one less emotionally charged than race relations, like - hey, you know what? Government has been able to fight one drug effectively - tobacco. Taxing the living Christ out of it, PSAs about the health issues, and passing laws against smoking in public - all fascist depredations against our basic freedoms which I happen to agree with - have worked like a charm.

As far as the differences between effective government action, and ineffective government action - compare air quality, water quality, and working conditions between the US and China. Now, look at what's happened when our "culture" wants cheap goods over all other considerations. But, I guess cultural evolution will solve that problem.

(Okay, technically it's government who is enslaving the workers IN China, but cultural evolution isn't doing anything for them, either. The state is the single most powerful force for cultural change, good OR bad, that's the point here.)

25. Matt in the Hat

Staff Member

Sep 21, 2002
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    True. But it is weilded with the force of a hammer and not a surgeon's knife. The reason why we have clean air and clean water here is because we value it enough to make it an essential priority. China values making a quick buck. But as their society evolves, their priorities will change and they will value clean air and clean water as essentials as well.