Could DCU-04 beat DCU-99 or DCU-98 or...?

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by Darryl, Nov 16, 2004.

1. Cantankerous

Cantankerous New Member

Apr 15, 2003
    United country
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My friend, I'd pick Ditka against a team of Morenos.

2. Th4119

Th4119 Member

Jul 26, 2001
    Annandale, VA
    I think DCU version .98 was the best one.

3. Jose L. Couso

Jose L. Couso New Member

Jul 31, 2000
    Arlington, VA
    I am not sure which teams you mean, MLS Cup winners only? If so that would be unfair to the .98 version. So I will give you my top five in order:

And MLS top ten:

1.1998 DC United
    2.1997 DC United
    3.1998 Los Angeles Galaxy
    4.1998 Chicago Fire
    5.2001 Miami Fusion
    6.1999 DC United
    7.2004 DC United
    8.2003 San Jose Earthquakes
    9.2001 Los Angeles Galaxy
    10.2001 San Jose Earthquakes

4. jeffresistor

jeffresistor New Member

Sep 2, 2003
    Section 135
    A big Ditka or a mini-Ditka? Big Ditka could squeak by on a PK, but Jaime's pace would be too much for the mini-Ditka, at least in the second half.

5. Allan Quatermain

Oct 23, 2001
    The Lost City of Gol
    Club:
    DC United
    This is a funny thread, and an interesting one to read. Now, I am thrilled we won this week, but I don't think we should kid ourselves that this is a great team.

It's a nice little team that got a bunch of things figured out at the right time, i.e. the end of the season.

In our last 10 games, we won eight and tied one. Our lone loss was (I think) at then-celebrated Columbus, and we basically outplayed them.

But the rest of the season? Pretty mediocre. Some nice games and play at time (6-2 versus the Metros). But also some horrid play (anybody go out to Chicago in June? I did, and I was embarassed beyond words). Throughout most of the season we had exactly one road win ... and that came on a Kamler own-goal. And even going into the last few games of the season,there was a real chance of not making the playoffs.

Just a little perspective. It doesn't take anything away from this team. Sunday was richly satisfying. But, honestly, had we lost, I wouldn't have been disappointed in the way I was in Pasadena -- namely, that an injustice had been perpetrated. And I wouldn't have been too sad if we hadn't been there at all. I bought my tickets months ago, b/c I make a point to go to every MLS Cup. I always have fun, and i expect to. It's just that this time, there was a really nice bonus.

6. Cantankerous

Cantankerous New Member

Apr 15, 2003
    United country
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You nailed it. 100 times over.

I was not nervous on Sunday because this whole thing was such a bonus. Like you, I was going to be at HDC anyway, but to see my team pull it together and put together a run at the end of the season was great. I would have been disappointed had we lost, but not gutted for weeks as I was in 1998. Plodding through the regular season, with every sportscaster babbling on about how we were so terrible on the road (we were) and how we were just about the Freddy show (which we weren't) grew quite enervating. I didn't see this coming, as late as mid September.

I have to say, though, it's awfully sweet.

7. mcontento

mcontento Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Catalina Wine Mixer
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Exactly.

Say what you will about the level of the league improving or whatever, but just as the 1978 Steelers were the greatest NFL team to ever take the field at one time, the 1998 United team was the greatest MLS team ever to be fielded. This years team would be humbled by them 8 out of 10 times, and would probably lose to the 1997 and 1999 versions 5-7 times out of ten. The rest of the league may have been terrrible back then, and I can see how losing these last 4 years and seeing the rapid decline of greats like Diablo and Goose may cloud ppl's memories, but when they were on, they were better than anyone.

Before anyone says how much better the league is today just keep this in mind, a 40 year old Preki destroyed the league in '03. He wouldn't even come close to the Diablo and Jaime of old.

8. tsink

tsink New Member

Nov 3, 2004
    Arlington, VA
    I disagree. I think there is a popular falacy on these Board's that the level of player in the league has improved dramatically. I think it is better, but it is more evenly distributed. Moreover, I think every team still has weak players. At this point, no team in the league goes 14 deep with quality like the 97 or 98 DC United Teams. They are simply the best 2 teams in league history. They were unbelieavably dominant. Anyone who went to those team's games (and I probably attended 30 league and playoff games during those 2 seasons) saw a team that dominated possession for 90 minutes, attacked quickly with attractive attacking soccer that simply has not been seen since in the league. The defence was outstanding. The 97 team was so good that Sanneh could not hold down a permanant starting position, as he typically split the position with John Maissner.

In my view, if the 04 team played the 97 or 98, 97/98 would win 7 out of 10 times.