Could Dallas get SCREWED out of the #1 pick???

Discussion in 'MLS: General' started by EMarcel, Sep 23, 2003.

1. EMarcel

EMarcel Member

Oct 7, 1999
    When San Diego is given a franchise next year,
    does that mean they would get the #1 pick in the
    Superdraft, thus screwing the Burn out of the
    somewhat small chance we have of getting
    Ramon Nuñez out of SMU??????????

2. FlashMan

FlashMan Member

Jan 6, 2000
    'diego
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Possibly, but I think Nunez only wants to play in the Dallas area, so if Dallas didn't have the #1 pick, he wouldn't come out early.

A lot can happen between now and then.

3. Rocket

Rocket Member

Aug 29, 1999
    Chicago
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If Dallas has the #1 overall pick, they should pick Freddy Adu. I'd bet that even at Southlake, Freddy would boost Burn attendance considerably.

Of course, the Adus have DC ties and all that, but if HSG gave Mrs. Adu a cushy, nice-paying job in Dallas, say Director of Community Relations, the Adus might just say yes to Big D. And if they don't, then we could trade Freddy to DC United for players and/or draft picks.

4. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They can only draft him if he has signed an MLS contract at the time of the draft. And every rumor I've ever seen has him signing with MLS next spring, after the draft, and after he graduates from high school.

Maybe he'll sign earlier. If he doesn't, Dallas can't draft him.

5. Fah Que

Fah Que Member

Sep 29, 2000
    LA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Every rumor I have seen indicates no team can get him from a draft. He can only be obtained from an allocation because of the cost involved in obtaining him. I don't know what teams has allocaton. If multiple teams with allocation want him, he will probably be in a weighted lottery.

6. ojsgillt

ojsgillt Member

Feb 27, 2001
    Lee's Summit MO
    Dude you are pretty far off on this one.

He could concieveably be picked up by a discovery pick, (if nobody else wanted him, yeah right)

Or he could be put into a weighted lottery. (won't happen since teams would be willing to use discovery picks or allocation.)

Or he could be picked up with an allocation. The lowest regular season points gets first pick, then the second lowest. Then the order of which the others were given out.

Or he could be in the Superdraft or a supplemental draft.

Cost has nothing to do with it, he isn't being transfered from anywhere. The only cost would be his salary, which I would suspect to be around $125,000.

The real question though is he going to be counted as a p-40. That makes him salary exempt.

If I had to predict where he goes and how he gets there. I would say it would come down to two scenarios, either Allocations or the Superdraft. Either way I think he will go to DC United.

Alot depends if Etchevery retires, that gives DC more options. If Etch retires then DC will probably get an allocation. Still it would be behind the other two you-suck allocations. So I predict that a good player will be traded to dallas and their allocation for Dallas's allocation. Who that player could be, I don't know but I wouldn't be surprised if it was Stewart. Didn't he wan't someplace warm where he can play golf, and isn't he a big cowboy's fan?

In the draft I could see Etcheverry's allocation and DC's 1st round pick for Dallas's #1. Another option would be for DC to trade their 1st round, a 3rd round and a forward that would go under Adu in the roster (Quantra/Eskadarian) for Dallas's #1 pick.

The league likes to dress up the draft, that is why Twellmen was in it when KC asked for him and nobody else did earlier.

7. Rocket

Rocket Member

Aug 29, 1999
    Chicago
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Stewart!?! That guy's been one of the bigger disappointments in the league this year. Dallas is in rebuilding mode, and the last thing we need is another over-30 player on the downslope of his career.

I still think Dallas might be able to entice the Adus to move here if they sweeten the pot. Isn't Freddy's mom still working as a Home Depot cashier? There's got a be a Burn booster who owns a business who could find her a good job at his company with upward mobility potential.

8. ojsgillt

ojsgillt Member

Feb 27, 2001
    Lee's Summit MO
    By that theory Freddy should be in LA playing at the Home Depot Center. No way in hell Adu is going anywhere west of the Appalachains.

You think Stewart is not good enough for Dallas? how many other national team players does Dallas have? Good left-mids are hard to come by in this league especially ones that play well on defense. What if Kreis doesn't come back from his injury? Don't you think Stewart could come in their and be a huge help?

Dallas should find themselves lucky to have Stewart at their service.

9. Viking64

Viking64 Member

Feb 11, 1999
    Tarheel State
    Not. Stewart is not what the team needs. Brad Davis does fine at left mid when they need him there, right now they are playing Johnson, Curtis, and Nhelko, all of whom are faster than Stewart with a longer career ahead of them.

Convey? Ok with a draft pick.
    Rimando? maybe with a high pick
    Olsen? yea, no pick needed.

and I think it's funny that you held out "how many other national team players has Dallas had?"

NONE. Which is why the team should have gotten Stewart for FREAKEN FREE and now WE DESERVE ADU because since the league was CREATED Dallas has never gotten the PROMISED national team players that EVERY OTHER FRANCHISE was promised AND RECEIVED to help START OUT THE LEAGUE.

WE have been waiting eight forking years for a national team player allocation, you think I want to give up FREDDIE ADU for a spent national team player NOW?

10. Fah Que

Fah Que Member

Sep 29, 2000
    LA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    And signing bonus or anything else under the table like a house and a car or something.

11. ojsgillt

ojsgillt Member

Feb 27, 2001
    Lee's Summit MO
    no, I said "have" not "had". You can whine all you want about your misfortunes of the past, but it still won't make a lick of difference about the present situation. You aren't the only team to get screwed by the front office. The league cares little about who DESERVES what. Where is this PROMISE that you speak of, now I am not an expert but I am pretty well read on the subject of MLS, and I have never came across a PROMISE. You want to blame somebody blame Andy Swift who in his awesome moves to placate the hispanic crowd found a way to have a ton of latino players.

Dallas isn't getting Adu forget about it and start thinking about what you can get for him.

I say with any player you get, you need to switch with their highest draft pick. So what if you move down a couple of draft slots, you still get a decent player and a 1st round pick.

Oh and do you really think that Ali Curtis is better than Stewart?

12. diablodelsol

diablodelsol Member+

Jan 10, 2001
    New Jersey
    Freddy Adu is going where he wants to go. Full stop.

Freddy's Agent to MLS: Freddie will only sign if he plays in DC

MLS: But we have all these rules about how players are allocated

Freddy's Agent to MLS: You tell every GM in MLS that Freddy will not sign w/ MLS if he is allocated to any team but DC

MLS to MLS GM's: Pick him, and you're fired.

13. Jambon

Jambon Member

Mar 3, 2000
    Austin, TX
    I'm going to laugh my ass off when the new baby Jesus gets to DC or wherever and is revealed to be, you guessed it, just a boy among men requiring years of development to be a significant contributor.

14. ChrisE

ChrisE Member

Jul 1, 2002
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    American Samoa
    Yeah, so tell me, who are you going to bench for Earnie Stewart?

Brad Davis? No, he is younger and is performing better this year.

Ronnie O'brien? No again, he is younger, and sure looked to be better before Stewart's teammate broke his leg.

Jason Kreis? I'm don't think benching the #2 all time scorer in MLS for a guy who's managed one goal this year is what this anemic offense needs.

Eddie Johnson? Until a few weeks ago, I would have said yes, but he looks to finally be fulfilling his potential, and is about half Stewart's age.

Having MLS compensate us for Adu with Stewart, a max contract player who we do not need at all, is probably even worse than MLS not compensating us at all.

Note, DC can't trade the Burn their 1st round pick and their allocation for their number one pick because the Burn already own that pick from the Cerritos-Curtis trade.

And as for Curtis being better than Stewart, no, obviously not, but I think Curtis has the chance to be a meaningful, mid-level salary contributor to an MLS team for the next ten years, which is about eight more than Earnie's going to be around.

15. ojsgillt

ojsgillt Member

Feb 27, 2001
    Lee's Summit MO
    Their is a lot more to soccer than scoring goals. And age matters little, as you pointed out the number 2 all-time scorer is 30 years old, while the #1 is 40.

The wonderful thing about Stweart is he can play a wing back position, but excells anywhere in the mid-feild and attacking portion. He can play both left and right sides.

As far as ranking players on the burn team with Stewart I'll take a shot, and note I will take expeirence over youthful vigor any day.

Forwards
    Kries
    Stewart
    Johnson
    Curtis
    Nhlecko
    Rhine

Midfeilders
    Obrien
    Stewart
    Pareja
    Davis
    Deering
    Vaca

Dallas has 4 P-40s 2 Transitional Internationals and a developmental player. Maybe youth isn't the thing you should be looking for, it sure as hell isn't helping Dallas now.

And the reason why you feel that you are getting screwed with no good players is that Dallas has made the playoffs every year, it is pretty hard to get a you suck allocation when you got teams finishing below you.

16. JerzyRebel

JerzyRebel New Member

Sep 18, 2002
    Land of Paulie Walnuts
    Let me get this straight. Earnie Stewart, a veteran of a dozen years in Europe and three World Cups, who still gets starts for the national team, can't start for the crap squad in Dallas? Maybe you people deserve the crap you have. Stewart probably will wind up in Dallas and you'll love him, whether he plays on the right flank or in central midfield. You need a player that other players on that team will respect and look up to. Who fits that bill now? Nobody.

17. PaulGascoigne

PaulGascoigne Member+

Feb 5, 2001
    Aotearoa/NZ
    It's late so I might be missing something...you are NOT saying Chad Deering (his best years are WAAAY past him) and Bobby Rhine (had 1 hat trick game last season--aside from that, what the hell has he done to match a USNT star?) should be rated as equal or preferable to Earnie Stewart (admittedly one who appears to be slumping), are you?

Anyway, Earnie isn't coming here now, so it's not worth talking about.

18. ChrisE

ChrisE Member

Jul 1, 2002
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    American Samoa
    I never said I felt like we were getting screwed (though others have), I just don't think that getting Earnie Stewart isn't all it's cracked up to be. Honestly, between hard-working, versatile, youngish Ben Olsen and hard working, versatile, oldish Earnie Stewart, who would you rather have? Especially considering that Olsen will likely be around a lot longer than Earnie, and makes a good deal less money? I just think that, with an allocation or a first round pick or whatever D.C. is supposedly trading for, we should be able to do better than Earnie Stewart, an aging former star who, although playing solid, hasn't exactly lit MLS afire.

19. cl_hanley

cl_hanley New Member

Sep 3, 2001
    Costa Mesa
    I wouldn't be surprised at all if this were to occur. Adu was often easily knocked off the ball by 17 year olds in Finland. He's going to feel like he got hit by a freight train in MLS.

20. Rocket

Rocket Member

Aug 29, 1999
    Chicago
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Burn do not need another "older player that other players on the team will respect and look up to". We've already got more than enough of those: Jason Kreis, Oscar Pareja, Chad Deering, and Steve Morrow.

As I mentioned before, Dallas is in rebuilding mode, and that means getting rid of most of your high-priced veteran players in favor of young guys who can win you a championship in a few years time.

Earnie Stewart will be 35 years old next year and is obviously on the downside of his career. He's about the last person on DC that the Burn would want.

The Adu allocation is worth a player that can help the Burn when it moves to Frisco in 2005. Someone like Ben Olsen, Mike Petke, or even (God forbid) Dema Kovalenko. NOT Earnie Stewart.

21. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have a question about DC's allocations.

IIRC, they had two before this year. They used one on Earnie. I don't think Ivanov was an allocation, I think he was a discovery. Am I right?

Anyway, if DC still has one, *and* they get one if Etch retires or if Bobby gets sold at the winter transfer window, MLS could easily get around the problem by saying, Freddy's worth 2 allocations. Are there any other clubs sitting on two?

It's a damn shame that this is a good post. By that I mean, it's a damn shame that people think Adu is gonna be so awesome.

He might be, but I doubt it. He's gonna miss a bunch of games for various youth tournaments. He's gonna take a while to adjust. And he's only gonna be in MLS for 3 years.

As a DC fan, my interest in getting Adu has less to do with how much I think he'll help the team. On that score, I'd rather DC get the next Amada Guevara or Carlos Ruiz. IMO a player of that caliber will help his team win more games than Freddy will.

I just think if he turns out to be a world superstar, it will be neat to be a fan of the team he started with.

22. ojsgillt

ojsgillt Member

Feb 27, 2001
    Lee's Summit MO
    Yeah you missed the fact that I was ranking them from top to bottom, not in the position they would play.

There is alot better chance that Earnie will go to Dallas than Adu will.

Oh I an I totally agree with the people that Adu will not be a superstar right from the get go. He got pushed around at the U-17s, and all but two MLS teams right now are better than any u-17 team.

23. Haig

Haig Member+

May 14, 2000
    METROSTARS
    Club:
    --other--
    I was under the impression that the minor allocation DC got from the Metrostars was being used to defray salary costs to get under the cap in 2003.

But I certainly might have that wrong.

24. ElJefe

ElJefe Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 16, 1999
    Colorful Colorado
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As I've said before, just because DC wants Adu and Adu only wants to be in DC doesn't mean that DC's going to get Adu for free. Frankly, it's just not the way that MLS has done business ever since they got dragged through the coals over the Ben Olsen allocation. Just ask the DC fans about Albright, who would only play in DC, and the LA fans about Hernandez, who would only play in LA.

I'm sure that MLS will be more than happy to broker some sort of trade between DC and whomever would otherwise get first crack at Adu. That way, everybody's happy: DC gets Adu, Adu gets to stay home, some team gets its pound of flesh from DC, and MLS looks like they're running things on the level.

Well, almost everybody will be happy: When it happens, you can be sure that the DC fans will scream bloody murder about it.

25. ElJefe

ElJefe Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 16, 1999
    Colorful Colorado
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    DING DING DING DING DING! We have a winner!

There is no way that Dallas is going to want Earnie Stewart. None. It's not that Stewart isn't a good player. He definitely is a good player. But unfortunately, Stewart has two big strikes against him: He's expensive and he's on the downside of his career.

And let's face it: If he's such a damn good player, then why are DC fans so willing to send him here?

Two words, my friends: Bobby. Convey.