Could an extended Transportation facility increase soccer fans in South Florida?

Discussion in 'Inter Miami CF' started by Lucho305, Dec 26, 2015.

?

Will this help Soccer in South Florida?

1. Yes

2 vote(s)
    50.0%
  2. No

2 vote(s)
    50.0%
  1. Lucho305

Lucho305 Member

Inter Miami CF, Junior de Barranquilla
    United States
    Jul 9, 2008
    Miami
    Club:
    Miami FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I ask this question with the South Florida teams and Orlando City SC in mind. With all Aboard Florida set to be in service in 2017 (railway -highspeed) which will run from Miami-Ft. lauderdale-West Palm Beach-Orlando, can this help soccer fans down here in South Florida?

Miami MLS is almost set to hopefully launch in 2018, and with the MLS rivalry on the brink, will this help fuel Orlando and Miami MLS fans to their enemies territory for matches? Away games. This service can also be used when Miami MLS will play the Strikers in a US Open Cup match, down the line.

Not only am I thinking of Miami MLS, but how about as well as Miami FC (NASL). There were some articles I found online talking about the extension of the Metrorail line to an East-West line, possibly running from Miami International Airport all the way west to SW 137th Avenue, running on some existing CSX tracks. This is with the intention of having a train stop at Florida International University, where Miami FC will play their home games. Thier natural rivalry would be against Strikers which train services will be available through the Tri-Rail and the proposed All Aboard Florida. There was also talks about CSX selling their train track that go downsouth towards Homestead (basically a very unconnected part of Miami).

My point is that with all these possible new rails coming to the distant future in South Florida and Orlando, will these not only help with traffic, but also help in fueling soccer teams in the mentioned above areas? will this also help create more fans and get soccer fans into seats knowing that traffic would not be an issue, in getting to these venues?

Here are the links, if anyone is interested:

http://miami.curbed.com/archives/2015/08/05/metrorail-tri-rail-east-west-doral-csx.php

http://www.miamiherald.com/news/local/community/miami-dade/article29244010.html

http://www.miamiherald.com/news/local/community/miami-dade/article29895181.html

http://miami.curbed.com/tags/csx (Map of possible new rails)

Interesting read if you are a South Florida resident/ soccer fan

2. Antique

Antique Member

Nov 11, 2008
    the river of grass
    Club:
    Ft Lauderdale Strikers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    All of SE Florida needs a much more comprehensive plan for transportation. MetoRail in M-D needs to run north to Joe Robbie Stadium as well as up US-1 to Aventura. They need a line from the airport to Miami Beach with a stop/connection to downtown as well as a complete new E/W line down SW 8th St to FIU. TriRail should also have a terminal in downtown Miami, downtown Ft Lauderdale and downtown West Palm Beach.

Broward needs a complete plan for a light rail that connects all parts of the county to downtown. It also needs a connection from the western suburbs of Broward to Miami.

Considering the politics of the area I know I'll not see this in my lifetime. I hope Lucho and some of the younger folks in the tri-county, including my grandchildren, live to see it.

NJL

3. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In short, improved transportation won't hurt soccer. Not sure it will actually help it.

Andy Bulldog and Antique repped this.
  4. Lucho305

Lucho305 Member

Inter Miami CF, Junior de Barranquilla
    United States
    Jul 9, 2008
    Miami
    Club:
    Miami FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #4 Lucho305, Dec 30, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 30, 2015
    I disagree, i believe it will help, the crowds would be larger because there would be no hassle of taking a freaking car and having traffic as an issue. Yoi can easily take the train. Especially thinking about the US Open cup games on tuesday night or CCL on Tuesday. Wednesday, Thursday night matches, shouldnt have a half empty stadium because of traffic.

Well i believe the team should enforce the use of transportation, maybe give a 5 dollar discount on either entrance to stadium / merchandise or even bars / restaurants that are linked with the team, in order to get ppl to use the train, the one time they use it should be hooked. Having to take ur car, to downtown / overtown to worry about traffic and parking is a bitch. The feeling of going to a location with nothing but ur belonging in ur pockets is priceless.

My dad used to take me to the old miami arena to watch the panthers in downtown play, we always took the metro, mind you i was around 7-8 years old, this stadium would bring back memories and certainly i will take my kids the same route to a soccer match.

5. song219

song219 BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 5, 2004
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Vanuatu
    Discounting to this extent devalues the ticket but they should consider cross-promoting with the transit system.

Lucho305 repped this.