Could a mid-level team in one of the top leagues win the World Cup?

Discussion in 'BigSoccer Polls' started by dark knight, Jul 12, 2006.

1. dark knight

dark knight Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 15, 1999
    Club:
    Leicester City FC
    I think many folks feel that the likes of Barcelona could win the World Cup given their cohesion as a team having played together for much longer than National teams, but how far down do you have to go before that no longer can overcome talent shortcomings?

[result]Yes, it's a little inane, but the other poll ideas I had were related to the finals and would have ended like all the other threads on this topic.[/result]

2. ButlerBob

ButlerBob Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 13, 2001
    Evanston, IL
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So your asking if a mid table club team could be national teams for the World Cup? Are things really that slow?

3. dark knight

Staff Member

Dec 15, 1999
    Club:
    Leicester City FC
    Is it really that obvious? I'm sort of surprised that so many folks agree with you. Do you think Barcelona or Chelsea could win the World Cup?

4. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Bearing in mind that you don't need to win one game in either 90 or 120 mins and can just get by on penalty shoot outs in the knock-out phase, it's possible... but bloody unlikely.

Don't forget, the WC's only 7 games even if you get to the final and the last 4 don't need to be won in normal play.

5. Miguel Alvarez

May 12, 2006
    Chelsea YEs . Barca NON

6. bbsbt

bbsbt Member+

Feb 26, 2003
    Both could.
    Don't forget, a national team is made up of the best players a country has to offer.
    An elite club team is made up of the best players the entire planet has to offer.

7. gbalzac

gbalzac New Member

Aug 14, 2003
    The top teams could easily win a world cup. Any of Barca/Chelsea/Milan/Juve even would go so far as to say Lyon would have as good odds as the top 2 or 3 national teams in the world. Teams like ManU/Arsenal/Liverpool/Madrid/Valencia/Inter/Bayern would all stand a good chance as well.

8. edgarr

edgarr BigSoccer Yellow Card

Aug 31, 2005
    what that hell clubs dont play in the world cup

9. the101er

the101er New Member

Jan 29, 2003
    That was my initial reaction, too. Then I realized the intent of the question: how do national teams compare to club teams. I voted for Everton/Bolton lifting the cup, because I didn't see the kind of cohesive defending in the World Cup, that we see on a week-in-week-out basis in the EPL.

Everton/Bolton both had what I would call subpar (and why does that mean "bad" when in golf it's good...) in 05/06. I expect both to bounce back this season, as they both had a decent run in. But, I think the kernel of the idea is: could a club squad just below European competition level compete. And I say yes.

Most of the players at that level are international level or darn close, and certainly the USA can't field an 11 as strong as Everton and we did make it to the Q-finals in 2002. Plus, it's a knockout tournament, so maybe Brighton could win it. Of course, if Brighton won the World Cup, they'd get relegated for the next one!

The thing that surprised me about the World Cup was that a well organized, lower tier team, didn't go further in the tournament. I'm not sure anyone takes the World Cup 100% seriously as a team, sporting event. There was a lot of indivual flair (and diving) on display, but little to remind us of how Greece won Euro2004. Maybe Germany was as close as we got.

South Africa 2010 might finally show us an organized African team winning the World Cup. Portugal had all the flair of Chelsea, grinding out win after win, only to be felled by their own trust in fate. I got an appreciation for why non-Chelsea fans don't like watching us very much.

10. sarabella

sarabella BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 22, 2004
    UK
    Why ya gotta be picking on Everton, DK?

Of course we could win the World Cup. We're going all the way this year, Chelsea be damned! :D

11. Ruud v.Nistelrooy 10

Staff Member

Jamaica
    Jun 4, 2006
    Antilla
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Jamaica
    ill say yes

like andy bennett pointed out u dont need to win the last 4 games in normal or extra time to advance

also if greece won the euros why not anyone else for WC?

greece didnt have any world class players with the closest being dellas,stelios,charisteas and karagounis

if a team like bolton who had a great defensive home record last year could do that again in the WC it would be just like greece and it just might work

nolan or davies in the air might nick them and extra time goal

12. PileD

PileD New Member

Nov 19, 2003
    Ruhrgebiet
    The Bolton Wanderers was ever on my list to win the world cup.

Such a Powerful, amazing, wonderful, tricky playing and full forwarding with intelligence power playing team will beat all the other.

Aber nur wenn die gerade Kaffee Pause machen.

13. dark knight

Staff Member

Dec 15, 1999
    Club:
    Leicester City FC
    I'm not sure what Kaffee Pause is, but I suspect it has something to do with sobering up? :)

14. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    You don't need to win the ones before it either. I think someone once worked out you can get through with 3 draws if one of the other teams beat the other 2 sides and they only manage a draw in their game. This would leave you with...

Country A - 7 points
    Bolton/Everton - 3 points
    Country B - 2 points
    Country C - 2 points

15. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Really?

It's a good job you're here, isn't it.

16. Manha

Manha New Member

Jul 5, 2006
    Shanghai
    Play the football like a realman,that the Everton and Bolton club's soul.Though expressive,but it's for them to get the title.Because football depands on real strength

17. legendofzola

legendofzola Member

Jun 4, 2006
    Cape Breton
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    But they might. I am hearing rumors that the 32nd team may have to play off against the top club team with no World Cup internationals. Which team would that of been this past World Cup? Edgarr I am counting on you to come up with the answer.

18. Metros Striker10

Metros Striker10 New Member

Jul 7, 2001
    Planet Earth
    No, Everton or Bolton can't make the World Cup. Barca? Real Madrid? Juventus? Milan? Inter? Yeah. EPL isn't THAT great that a non Chelsea, ManU, or Arsenal team could win...

19. futbol_steve

futbol_steve New Member

Jun 17, 2003
    Arizona
    an interesting test of this would be to see a match where a big club played a good national side. there were rumors last year that the Might Blues (chelsea blues, not everton) were going to be matched up against a full Brazil side. it never happened, but it would have been interesting to see.

i'm in the camp that the cohesiveness, daily training, and the ability to select players from outside your borders would make a club team the better side.

20. blkbrnrvr

blkbrnrvr Member

Mar 2, 2003
    Auburn metro
    Club:
    Blackburn Rovers FC
    You know, with all of the cards flying around this World Cup, Blackburn would have fit right in. :D

21. ATLGunner

ATLGunner Member

May 8, 2005
    Atlanta
    I would almost always take a quality club. The extra time together and cohesiveness, along with the ability to mix and match talents and choose from a more diverse pool means advantage clubs. For example, if you are the British manager you are lacking in depth and a quality target man at striker. You can't do anything about it, unless some player steps up. If you are a manager, you go buy someone!

22. leonneary

leonneary New Member

Jul 17, 2006
    Darwen (England
    any team can win the world cup if they are up far it

23. El Sabio

El Sabio New Member

Jun 23, 2004
    Madison, WI
    Just thought I'd add this into it.

Mexico played AC Milan prior to the WC 2002 in a warm-up game. These club vs country games do happen usually before World Cups I have noticed.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport3/worldcup2002/low/team_pages/mexico/newsid_1998000/1998082.stm

It ended 2-1 for Mexico. Milan of course had no Italian WC players, but still had a number of good players on display that day including Kaladze, Serginho, and I believe Ambrosini, as well as others. In other words it was a decent Milan team.

Even in this case its still very debatable whether this game means anything as for Milan there was no real incentive to play the game really, and for Mexico it was a warm-up game. Thought Kaladze was red-carded.

24. Ruud v.Nistelrooy 10

Staff Member

Jamaica
    Jun 4, 2006
    Antilla
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Jamaica
    there was a brazil sevilla game that ended 2-2 also with kanoute scoring

read it on uefa.com a while back

25. bspsoccer

bspsoccer Member

AC Milan
    United States
    Jan 25, 2004
    Colorado, USA
    Yes, there were some very decent players, but you cant forget that those were players who werent our starters. Maldini didnt play as far as I know. Cafu, Nesta, Kaka, Pirlo, Gattuso, Dida, Gilardino, sheva, inzaghi, and vogel would have been missing (8 starters 2 subs). Which means it was deep reserves mixed with primavera players. These players havent played together either (just like Mexico) and many would be lacking form from not playing consistent first team games. Ambrosini had just come back from injury, which means his form could have severly been lacking.

Remember that.