Costa Ricans Abroad[R] 2009 edition

Discussion in 'Costa Rica' started by aguimarães, Feb 16, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Vamos Ticos

Vamos Ticos Member

Jul 18, 2006
    Alvaro Saborio will join Bristol City F.C. of the Football League Championship (Englands 2nd dvision) on loan for 1 year.
    http://everardoherrera.com/noticia/?/2330/Saborio-se-va-al-Bristol-City-de-Inglaterra

It might not be the EPL...but i think its an excellent move for Saborio...he finally has a club and will finally start practicing everyday with a club since FC Sion President and coach excluded him from practicing with the team last May. Hope Bristol City is a strong club in the Championship and Saborio gets playing time which is the most important thing for our SELE.

2. ForZaAaB

ForZaAaB Member

Mar 24, 2009
    Club:
    Aalborg BK
    Hi All,
    My local club - Aalborg BK (Denmark) just signed Dennis Marshall (Costa Rican national player) from Club Sport Herediano. I would really appreciate any comments, descriptions, stories or media files you all might be able to offer. As my knowledge of Costa Rican football is non-existent.

I apologize if I am posting in an inappropriate thread.

Thanks in advance

ForZa AaB

3. ForZaAaB

ForZaAaB Member

Mar 24, 2009
    Club:
    Aalborg BK
    I am also interested in knowing the remaining length of his contract with Herediano at time of transfer and the transfer fee if anyone knows.

Thanks again,

ForZa AaB

4. Vamos Ticos

Vamos Ticos Member

Jul 18, 2006
    Dennis Marshall is about 23-24 years old and made his debut in 1st division football in Costa Rica about 3 years ago with a club name Puntarenas F.C....He had 2 solid seasons with them and was loaned to CS Herediano after their coach Paulo Wanchope (you might know Wanchope but if not he has been one of our best fowards ever in Costa Rica) asked for his signing. He started slow last season with Herediano but got better as the season went on and was an important part of the team as they made it to the final. After his good performances he was called up to the Costa Rican National team...and has played 1 World Cup Qualifier against Trinidad & Tobago and 4 matches in the Gold Cup. He has played well but needs more experience...so this move to Denmark is great for him.

5. Vamos Ticos

Vamos Ticos Member

Jul 18, 2006
  6. ForZaAaB

ForZaAaB Member

Mar 24, 2009
    Club:
    Aalborg BK
    Thanks, so he was not at the end of his contract?

BTW: have a look at the signing video, that the Aalborg BK supports have uploaded on youtube.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hVr5fm7Z7t0"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hVr5fm7Z7t0[/ame]

7. AalborgFan

AalborgFan New Member

Jan 10, 2009
    Club:
    Aalborg BK
    Nat'l Team:
    Denmark
    Can you give a description of Marshall in regard to skills and weaknesses? I'm very excited to learn about this player. What is his prefered position. All clues I found claim his right-footed, however in danish media he is told to be left defender or midfielder.

8. ForZaAaB

ForZaAaB Member

Mar 24, 2009
    Club:
    Aalborg BK
    Hi again, any Club Sport Herediano chants or Dennis Marshall chants we should know about? We would like to make him fell at "home" when he plays. If you would happen to have a recording of a chant it would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance

ForZa AaB

9. Vamos Ticos

Vamos Ticos Member

Jul 18, 2006
    - Bryan Ruiz scores again in Holland to give FC Twente the win.
    - Carlos Hernandez scores again in Australia for Melbourne Victory.
    - Alvaro Saborio has a nice debut in England with an assist for Bristol City.
    - Carlos Johnson plays a strong match for New York Red Bulls in their 1-0 loss.
    - Junior Diaz starts and has a solid match for Wisla Krakow who are leaders in Poland.
    - Celso Borges played a solid match in Fredrikstads win in Norway.
    - Pablo Herrera started in Aalesunds 2-0 win in Norway.

WHY CAN'T THESE SAME PLAYERS PLAY LIKE THEY DO IN THEIR CLUBS WITH OUR NT?! :mad:

- Tuma Martinez plays the full 90 minutes in Brescia's 1-0 win in Serie B.
    - Rodney Wallace scores for DC United in their loss against Leo Gonzalez team Seattle Sounders who also played the full 90 minutes.
    - Randall Azofeifa scored for KAA Gent in their 5-1 win in Belgium.
    - Chiqui Brenes plays 84 minutes in Norway in his club Kongsvinger's win.

10. Moises

Moises Member

Feb 8, 2007
    miami
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    Honduras
    weren't some of those players out of clubs?

11. ForZaAaB

ForZaAaB Member

Mar 24, 2009
    Club:
    Aalborg BK
    Translated from an article in the local Aalborg newspaper ”Nordjyske”

The article was written by Søren Olsson

The Marshall help has arrived

Reference to http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marshall_Plan that doesn’t really translate well.

Intimate session: AaB’s new left-winger trained with three teammates

It has been a fairly chaotic weekend for AaB’s new Costa Rican national player, Dennis Marshall, who stranded in an airport on his way to Aalborg. A delay that meant that he arrived in Aalborg Sunday and not Saturday as planed. And thus his first training session with his new teammates was postponed to Monday morning.

Marshall did not get the opportunity to train with the majority of the team though; only four players participated in the light training session Monday morning. (ed. The rest of the team were preparing for the game against Randers FC). Aside from Dennis Marshall, the Australian Michael Beauchamp, the American Marcus Tracy and local boy Emil Haucke participated. The four players conducted a number of drills under the watchful eyes of Poul Erik Andreasen (ed. Special first team coach focused on young players).

“It has been a tough weekend. We did not have a lot of time to transfer onto the flight from Paris (ed. France) to Copenhagen (ed. Denmark) and we ended up missing the flight. When we finally got to Copenhagen, there was no flights to Aalborg and we ended up spending a night in Copenhagen” Said Dennis Marshall

The Costa Rican national was brought in on the last day of the transfer window, but he has since been busy with the Costa Rican national team, who lost two games during the last week and now face a difficult challenge in qualifying for the WC in South Africa. Costa Rica is currently number four in their qualifying group, where the top three qualify directly for South Africa, while number four face off against the South American number five (Currently Argentina) in a qualifier for the last spot.

“It’s a difficult situation for us, but now we have to do everything we can to win the last two games. We would really like to avoid the playoff games” Said Dennis Marshall, who by the way was quite happy with his own performance against El Salvador

Marshall covers several positions on the field, however he has the most experience at left back, the position he plays on the Costa Rican national team.

“There are so many things I need to adjust to at the moment. There are a lot of new teammates I need to get to know and I need to adjust to the Danish style of play, I don’t really know a lot about Denmark yet. For now its all about training hard and hopefully with time earning myself a place in the starting lineup.” Said Marshall.

“It seems to be a nice country and I really look forward to take advantage of the opportunity I have been given. But the weather could be a bit warmer” Said a laughing Marshall on the windy training field in Aalborg.

12. ForZaAaB

ForZaAaB Member

Mar 24, 2009
    Club:
    Aalborg BK
    Written by Brian Andersen for AaBsport.dk

Deeplink: http://v2.aabsport.dk/5F99858C-64A0-4D17-B26F-6330E889794F.w5doc?id=2933D3D1-538B-43DB-A206-C4DC82E8EAB7

Marshall gets going

AaB’s new signing Dennis Marshall has begun training at Hornevej (ed. AaB training facilities are located on “Horne road”).

The left legged national team player from Costa Rica is now part of the AaB SAS league squad.

“I expect that I will gel with the team quickly and become part of the camaraderie” Marshall told AaBsport.dk right after today’s training session.

“I don’t know much about Danish football, but hopefully I can contribute to the team, so that we finish in a top position.” Said Marshall, who is still awaiting his playing license from the Danish authorities.

Yesterday Marshall watched his new team beat Randers FC 3-0.

“The team played a good physical and tactical game, I look forward to taking part in the future.” Said Marshall.

AaB take on Silkeborg IF on Saturday at home in Aalborg.

13. Vamos Ticos

Vamos Ticos Member

Jul 18, 2006
    Thats cool that Dennis Marshall is getting some attention in Denmark...hope he doesn't disappoint and performs well for Aab.

ForZaAaB....is Denmark the best league in Scandinavia? I know Denmark and Sweden have strong NT sides...but i was wondering what ranks better as a league?...Norwegian? Danish? Swedish?...i'm wondering because there are 4 Costa Ricans in Norway (Celso Borges, Cristian Bolanos, Pablo Herrera, and Randall Brenes)...1 in Sweden (Roy Miller)...and now Dennis Marshall in Denmark.

14. wizardsoffside

wizardsoffside New Member

Apr 22, 2009
    North KC
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't know if you really want Carlos Johnson to play this way with the CRNT. He got ejected at the end of that game. That is # 3 in 9 games played. First player in the MLS to get 3 ejections in one season since 2000 (that was 3 ejections in a full season not 9 games :eek:).

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/columns/story?id=676154&sec=mls&root=mls&cc=5901

BTW Morsink did come in at the end and will probably be starting on Saturday vs. Dallas

15. Vamos Ticos

Vamos Ticos Member

Jul 18, 2006
    I thought he played a nice match...i don't know if he deserved the red since the other guy involved in the shoving match didn't even get a yellow...but i thought he played well. I think Carlos Johnson is a good player...his problem is his bad temper...he gets pissed off too easily. I really think he is a good back up option for our NT at RB behind Roy Myrie or Gilberto Martinez (we really don't have much to pick from besides these 3 players unless you think Harold Wallace or Jervis Drummond are good)...he just needs to relax and just play.

16. ForZaAaB

ForZaAaB Member

Mar 24, 2009
    Club:
    Aalborg BK
    I would say the Danish League is better; I base it on the UEFA coefficient, meetings between the three leagues and success in European football. Denmark wins it hands down.

I would rank them like this:
    1. Denmark
    2. Sweden
    3. Norway

17. ForZaAaB

ForZaAaB Member

Mar 24, 2009
    Club:
    Aalborg BK
    Marshall did not participate in todays training sessions, he was reported as sick, likely a cold.

18. ForZaAaB

ForZaAaB Member

Mar 24, 2009
    Club:
    Aalborg BK
  19. jonny63

jonny63 Member+

Feb 17, 2005
    Norway
    Melbourne Victory has reached an agreement with Costa Rican side Club Sport Herediano to loan attacking midfielder Marvin Angulo as an injury replacement player for Billy Celeski.

The 22-year-old Costa Rican will join Melbourne Victory on October 1 subject to a medical and visa, as well as approval from Football Federation Australia after Celeski was ruled out for the rest of 2009/10 earlier this month with a ruptured anterior cruciate ligament.

Angulo, who has made two international appearances for Costa Rica, was originally spotted by Melbourne Victory Coach Ernie Merrick during a scouting trip to Costa Rica last year.

http://www.goal.com/en/news/808/aus...-sign-costa-rican-marvin-angulo-as-cover-for-

20. Moises

Moises Member

Feb 8, 2007
    miami
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    Honduras
    Brescia 3 - 1 Sassuolo

21. MoRado

MoRado New Member

Feb 6, 2004
    San José. Costa Rica
    Club:
    Deportivo Saprissa
    Nat'l Team:
    Costa Rica
    oh yeah all these pussssssies play great with their teams but suck on the NT...

Chiqui Brenes and Fonseca should be called instead of Ruiz and Ledezma

22. Moises

Moises Member

Feb 8, 2007
    miami
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    Honduras
    Grosseto 2 - 1 Brescia :(

23. mv_nelson

mv_nelson Member

Jun 22, 2008
    Club:
    Melbourne Victory
    Carlos Hernandez goal from 30+ metres last Saturday night, c.1:52

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=axbP7Vz1Liw"]YouTube - Gold Coast United v Melbourne Victory 26 - Sept - 2009[/ame]

24. ForZaAaB

ForZaAaB Member

Mar 24, 2009
    Club:
    Aalborg BK
    AaB have received Dennis Marshall's playing license from the Danish authorities. He could play next weekend against Odense Boldklub

25. Moises

Moises Member

Feb 8, 2007
    miami
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    Honduras