Costa Ricans Abroad[R] 2009 edition

Discussion in 'Costa Rica' started by aguimarães, Feb 16, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Matt12

Matt12 Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Trondheim
    Club:
    Rosenborg BK
    I would think Borges would have less of a problem at Fredrikstad as he is not as important to the team as Bolanos is to Start.

But isn`t the Gold Cup official games were the team has to give up there players ?

2. Pønch

Pønch Saprissista

Aug 23, 2006
    Donde siempre
    I have mixed feelings about this.

On one hand, I don't want to take the players away from their teams for a Mickey Mouse tournament like the Gold Cup. Much better to let them stay in a competitive environment, and at the same time use the GC to see how second/third string players gel with the NT.

On the other hand, having the full (or close to full) NT roster playing together will only help WCQ, even if it's a joke tourney like the GC.

Not sure what's the best approach here for Kenton.

3. MoRado

MoRado New Member

Feb 6, 2004
    San José. Costa Rica
    Club:
    Deportivo Saprissa
    Nat'l Team:
    Costa Rica
    yeah i got mixed feelings too, This GC should not be played, it makes no sense, so i guess we dont really need Bolaños and Celso, they should stay with their teams.

Saborio, Hernandez and Ruiz should be with the NT, since their teams arent in competition right now

4. Vamos Ticos

Vamos Ticos Member

Jul 18, 2006
  5. worldsoccer217

worldsoccer217 New Member

Oct 31, 2007
    Kansas City
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    www.superliga2009.com

Live streaming of Superliga games for the Chicago Fire (Segares), KC Wizards (Morsink) and New England Revolution (Badilla).

6. Vamos Ticos

Vamos Ticos Member

Jul 18, 2006
    Do you know if Badilla will get any minutes in the Superliga?...I know he just came back from his back injury but maybe Revolution will give him some minutes since the Superliga isn't that important.

7. worldsoccer217

Oct 31, 2007
    Kansas City
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't think he's game fit yet, but if he's already training and due to the fact that New England has tons of injuries there might be a possibility.

BTW, the crappy Superliga website did not have the game but rojadirecta did and it the streaming was very clear.

Next game for Chicago is Tuesday; for KC and NE will be Wednesday when they play each other. The first round ends on Saturday and Sunday.

8. Start fan in exile

Jan 5, 2006
    Lillehammer, Norway
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Norway
  9. MoRado

MoRado New Member

Feb 6, 2004
    San José. Costa Rica
    Club:
    Deportivo Saprissa
    Nat'l Team:
    Costa Rica
    do u guys know that you may lose those points for not letting Bolaños play the GC? (and the upcoming 2 games as well)

10. Matt12

Matt12 Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Trondheim
    Club:
    Rosenborg BK
    According to what i hear from Norwegian media Bolanos did not wanna go to the Gold Cup.

11. gethomas3

gethomas3 Red Card

Aug 3, 2007
    Miami, FL
    Club:
    Deportivo Saprissa
    Nat'l Team:
    Costa Rica
    Thaat was proven a lie by our federation.

Hopefully that team is taken off points. Seriously now...

12. Start fan in exile

Jan 5, 2006
    Lillehammer, Norway
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Norway
    How was it proven a lie?

http://fotball.fvn.no/eliteserien/article142440.ece

In this article Bolaños states it was his choice not to go, while Start's director is quoted as saying the Gold Cup is an international date and the team could not refuse him if he wanted to go.

In fact, with US defender Goodson going to play for his country it would have been to Start's advantage if Bolaños went as they could then get some games moved with two key players away. Goodson is just as important to Start's success this season as Bolaños has been.

Anyway, I'm not looking to start a fight, I'm just curious how it's been proven a lie.

13. gethomas3

gethomas3 Red Card

Aug 3, 2007
    Miami, FL
    Club:
    Deportivo Saprissa
    Nat'l Team:
    Costa Rica
    http://www.nacion.com/ln_ee/2009/junio/26/deportes2009046.html

I am pretty sure there are is some black business here to not let him go. And to be honest, I am actually glad about that. I am not a fan of seeing our players going to Europe just to put up with this bullshit. If, by some odd chance, he really didn't want to play and our newspaper is ridiculously lying he should never be called for the team again.

If his club is that important then he should stay there. We got others willing to wear the shirt and willing to sacrifice themselves and a little bit of money for it. That's the last thing we need: a team of primadonas.

Keep him all you want. He has no business being in the team anyway.

14. Start fan in exile

Jan 5, 2006
    Lillehammer, Norway
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Norway
    Shame for Bolaños that he gets caught in this kind of controversy. You have to remember too he is in a different siuation than most others. The Norwegian league is one of very few that plays through the summer, while most other Euro-based players are on their summer break and thus free to suit up for a month. (And yes, I know Celso Borges has chosen to play at the Gold Cup despite also playing in Norway)

Bolaños has become very popular with our fans in large part because he is not a prima donna; he has been very good about putting the team first.

Could it be that the Start management pressured Bolaños to stay? I suppose it is possible; I am not so naive that I won't admit that. But it might also be that he genuinely does not want to be away from his team and his family for a month in which case the Federation should respect that.

I hope this gets sorted out and he plays (and plays well) for Coast Rica in the future.

15. Vamos Ticos

Vamos Ticos Member

Jul 18, 2006
    This situation sucks...i hope both Costa Rica and IK Start can come to an agreement so it won't affect either side. I know Start is saying that it was Bolanos decision not to come...but it's kind of hard to believe since a member of our Federation said he personally talked to Bolanos and Bolanos said he wanted to come but who knows. If both sides don't come to an agreement and it's proven that Bolanos did not want to come (which i doubt) we can officially put Bolanos in Kenton's doghouse alongside Oscar Rojas.

16. Pønch

Pønch Saprissista

Aug 23, 2006
    Donde siempre
    I'm sure there is a lot we don't know about this situation. Why would a player risk a NT spot like that? The World Cup is the best way to show your talent. I doubt any player with half a brain would jeopardize a chance to get to play there.

On the other hand, why would Start risk getting in a big brouhaha with CR Federation and/or FIFA for one player? That doesn't make sense either.
    I hope at the end of the day this is all just a misunderstanding.

Maybe Kenton asked for Bolaños in spanish and Start replied in norwegian :p

17. Matt12

Matt12 Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Trondheim
    Club:
    Rosenborg BK
    According to Starts management they did not denie him the right to play in the gold cup. Bolanos wanted to stay in Norway as he did not want to be away from his family again. Like he had to wile playing the previos WCQ games for Costa Rica.
    To illustrate ther point Start also says that they let Goodson leave to play for the US why would they do that and denie Bolanos ?

The article in Norwegain.

http://www.vg.no/sport/fotball/norsk/artikkel.php?artid=560240

18. worldsoccer217

Oct 31, 2007
    Kansas City
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    US Cup results: (Winner gets a spot in the CONCACHAMPIONS)

*Chicago Fire (minus Segares) 0
    Wilmington 1

Fire is eliminated

*New England Revolution (Badilla came in 46th minute) 1
    Harrisburg City Islanders 2

New England eliminated in Extra Time

*Kansas City Wizards 3 (Morsink was team Captain and played all 120 minutes)
    Minnesota Thunder 3

Kansas City wins in penalty shoot out 4-2 and advances to play the winner of Portland and Seattle (tonight). The game will be on July 7th.

All 3 teams played as visitors.

19. Vamos Ticos

Vamos Ticos Member

Jul 18, 2006
    Glad to hear that Badilla played...if he can recover his old form he should definitely be on the NT.

How come Kurt Morsink doesn't play in any of the regular season matches? Does he just suck now or does he have beef with his coach?

20. Vamos Ticos

Vamos Ticos Member

Jul 18, 2006
  21. worldsoccer217

Oct 31, 2007
    Kansas City
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

This is my personal opinion. The coach is under fire and some people have started to ask for his head (just got eliminated from the Superliga only scoring 2 goals). The owneship group is building a new stadium in KC, investing over 200 million in it and they want a top tier team. Last few years he played young guys alot. Harrington (USNT-U-23), Espinoza (Honduras NT), Morsink, and a few other young players, with his older guys and made the playoffs but got bounced in the first and second round.

This year the Front Office is putting alot of pressure on him since they kept Claudio Lopez, Josh Wolff, Hercules Gomez and Abe Thompson (thse 3 they got at the end of last year) and then went and got a player from San Lorenzo in Argentina and paid him some serious money; he plays Morsink's position. They are fielding a very experienced team trying to make a run so players like Morsink, Espinoza and Harrington will come off the bench once in a while.

At this point he's living and dying with these experienced guys although IMO they aren't very good or at least not worth the money. Funny thing is he has about the same record as last year and it will be hard for him to make the playoffs in a better position. I guess he sees it as if he plays the "stars" he can partially blame the front office for getting the players, while if he plays the young guys it's on him.

I have seen Morsink in quite a few times and he reminds me a bit of Centeno in the sense that he pauses the game, has good passing, and can shoot from outside, although his marking can improve more. If you read interviews with the coach he talks about how much he likes Morsink and how he likes how he plays, but still won't play him so I suspect there are other factors involved.

A friend of mine who knows Morsink's family in CR told me that Bruce Arena wanted to trade for him and bring him to the Galaxy since their midfield is a mess in LA but KC didn't want to let him go since he is very affordable in case the Argentinian doesn't work out. This has really hurt him since his level of soccer went up a ton from year one to year two but now he's stuck. I understand from reading an article in El Grafico this year that because he has European citizenship he might go look for a team after the MLS season is over.

Long story that has gone too long :D he is talented and from the games I saw him last year (I think the Columbus game was on ESPN in CR where he was involved in all 3 goals) he was getting better but now is in a bad situation. He had a good game yesterday and almost won the game with an outside shot at the end of the game, but in KC, unless the coach leaves he's screwed.

22. Vamos Ticos

Vamos Ticos Member

Jul 18, 2006
    Damn that sucks for him...i remember watching a few games last year where he was really good. I also remember reading an interview of his where he mentioned another team wanting him...but that his team said no. Hope he gets some playing time soon or maybe loaned to another club or something...he is a good player but needs minutes. I know he really wants to play for the NT.

23. Start fan in exile

Jan 5, 2006
    Lillehammer, Norway
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Norway
    Bolaños did not dress as Start lost to Lillestrøm Wednesday night (3-2). Start decided not to dress Christian until they have resolved their dispute with the Costa Rican federation.

24. worldsoccer217

Oct 31, 2007
    Kansas City
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What's funny is that you have good players like him dying to play with the NT and then some like Bolanos, Rojas and even Wallace in DC who are "conflicted" about playing with the NT. The good thing is that he's still young (24-25) and if the situation gets better he'll get a call up.

25. Vamos Ticos

Vamos Ticos Member

Jul 18, 2006