Costa Ricans Abroad[R] 2009 edition

Discussion in 'Costa Rica' started by aguimarães, Feb 16, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Start fan in exile

Jan 5, 2006
    Lillehammer, Norway
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Norway
    Borges started for his new team Fredrikstad as they played away to Viking in Norway this evening. I only saw the 2nd half, but according to the announcers the whole Fredrikstad team was awful in the 1st half.

Looked like Borges was playing on the left side of midfield, but moved into the middle just behind the striker shortly after the hour mark.

He was pretty much invisible until time was almost out, when he had two shots that were blocked and an assist on the winning goal as Fredrikstad were able to steal a 2-1 win.

2. Start fan in exile

Jan 5, 2006
    Lillehammer, Norway
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Norway
    Norwegian daily VG is asking readers to vote for the best goal of round 5; Bolaños is represented on the list.

http://www.vg.no/sport/fotball/norsk/artikkel.php?artid=571966

(at the bottom of the list is a button called "stem" which means "vote"; at the top of the article is a view where you can watch all the candidates)

3. mv_nelson

mv_nelson Member

Jun 22, 2008
    Club:
    Melbourne Victory
    i think that overall LDA have received c.US$700k for him - the amount from the initial loan and then the amount now (c.$500k).

apparently he is on a plane on his way back here at this very moment. :D

4. Start fan in exile

Jan 5, 2006
    Lillehammer, Norway
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Norway
    Christian Bolaños and Douglas Sequeira played against each other Sunday as Tromsø travelled to Kristiansand to meet Start. Bolaños started as usual, and played a strong game, scoring one goal constantly threatening the Tromsø defense. His passing quality was not great the first 30 minutes or so, but he found his aim as the game went on and was one of the best players on the pitch as Start won 3-1.

Sequeira came on to play defense a the 69-minute mark with the score already at 3-1 and Tromsø down to 10 men.

This article has a video of Bolaños' goal and is about how Bolaños and Sequeira are good friends and Bolaños came to Start on the strength of Sequeira's recommendation: http://fotball.fvn.no/eliteserien/article136641.ece

Full video highlights here: http://fotball.fvn.no/webtv/?id=91877

Already journalists are wondering how long Start will be able to keep Bolaños as he has emerged as the best and most exciting new player in the Norwegian league this season.

5. MoRado

MoRado New Member

Feb 6, 2004
    San José. Costa Rica
    Club:
    Deportivo Saprissa
    Nat'l Team:
    Costa Rica
    yesterdays goal is similar to the one he scored in the Club World Cup in 2005 vs Sidney FC

6. Pønch

Pønch Saprissista

Aug 23, 2006
    Donde siempre
    Well, that's what you get when you look at the best club in Central America for players :D (in case you didn't know, Bolaños comes from Deportivo Saprissa, just like Celso)

7. Start fan in exile

Jan 5, 2006
    Lillehammer, Norway
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Norway
    If all your players are as good as Bolaños (now known simply as "Bola" among Start supporters) then please send them over to Start! :D

I should add, it's not just Bolaños skill that's making the fans love him. He's also shown great work ethic and willingness to work on both ends of the pitch as well as a positive attitude. All in all, a very happy find for Start!

8. Vamos Ticos

Vamos Ticos Member

Jul 18, 2006
    Belgium
    KAA Gent 3 Roselare 1

Bryan Ruiz played the full 90 minutes and scored on a penalty. Randall Azofiefa started and was subbed late in the 2nd half. Roy Myrie did not play due to an injury that will keep him out at least 1 month. KAA Gent is in 4th place in Belgium 3 points behind Club Brugge.

China
    Chongqing Lifan 1 Dalian Haichang 0

Johnny Woodly scored the winning goal for Lifan. He leads the team in scoring.

MLS
    Chicago Fire 2 Columbus 2

Gonzalo Segares played the full 90 minutes and help set up the 1st goal and scored the 2nd goal to help Fire draw at the end of the match against the Crew. SEGARES HAS TO START AT LB FOR COSTA RICA!!!!

DC United 3 New York Red Bulls 2

Rodney Wallace played 80 minutes and scored DC's 1st goal. This kid has been very impressive so far this season. I think Kenton should call him up before USA does and give him a try at LM for us since William Sunsing sucks. Carlos Johnson didn't play due to suspension.

9. Start fan in exile

Jan 5, 2006
    Lillehammer, Norway
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Norway
    Norway:

Christian Bolaños had a monster of a game today, picking up 2 assists and scoring the winner with about 30 seconds left in injury time as Start travel to Oslo and defeat Vålerenga 3-2. Bolaños was undoubtedly the man of the match and transfer rumours will only continue to increase after this fantastic performance.

I cannot believe how lucky Start were to get a player of his calibre for only €500,000. In addition he is a supporter's favourite as he consistenly talks about how the only important thing for him is that the team does well and he is not concerned about individual honours.

He is now tied for the team lead in goals with 5 in 7 games. This also puts him in a 4-way tie for the most goals in Tippeligaen so far this season, with 1 game in round 7 (Fredrikstad at Rosenborg) still to go.

*edit* I will post the highlights tomorrow, but when I do you'll see that Bolaños should have had another goal: he took a shot which hit the crossbar and hit the ground fully inside the goal line before bouncing out, but the linesman was not in position and waved the play on.

10. Matt12

Matt12 Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Trondheim
    Club:
    Rosenborg BK
    Yeah i fear Bolaños will leave the league as Start has a rather bad economy and no league teams is going to pay what Start want.

I also hope to see Borges against Rosenborg today but so far he is sitting on the bench and so is Miller for Rosenborg.

11. MoRado

MoRado New Member

Feb 6, 2004
    San José. Costa Rica
    Club:
    Deportivo Saprissa
    Nat'l Team:
    Costa Rica
    what a game for Bolaños

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=flGrcoaJRT4"]YouTube - www.everardoherrera.com Quinto gol de Cristian Bolaños con el Start[/ame]

highlights

12. Pønch

Pønch Saprissista

Aug 23, 2006
    Donde siempre
    Funny how the cameras follow him around :p

I hope he keeps up his form. We can really use him as a striker in our national team...ideally Kenton is keeping an eye on him.

13. Matt12

Matt12 Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Trondheim
    Club:
    Rosenborg BK
    Borges scored a goal today in FFK`s 3-0 win over Tromsø

Maybe we will see another successful Costa Rican in the league soon :)

14. Moises

Moises Member

Feb 8, 2007
    miami
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    Honduras
    with livornos up coming games it seem like they will pull 5 points finishing the Serie b with 67 points meaning the Brescia's up coming game they would have to win two and draw one but by the looks of it they are mostly likely to pull five points finishing in 4th:( with 66 points.

15. Vamos Ticos

Vamos Ticos Member

Jul 18, 2006
    Yea Brescia was hot not too long ago but has lost important points recently....it might be because Gilberto Martinez hasn't been playing recently because of his injury...with him they'd be in 1st place :D

Belgium
    KAA Gent 2 Kortrijk 0
    Bryan Ruiz played the full 90 minutes and scored Gent's first goal. Randall Azofeifa played 89 minutes and had an assist. Roy Myrie is still out with an injury. KAA Gent has finished in 3rd place in Belgium and will be in Next Years UEFA Cup.

MLS
    New York Red Bulls 4 San Jose 1
    Carlos Johnson played the full 90 minutes for Red Bulls and had an assist on a throw in.

DC United 3 Toronto FC 3
    Rodney Wallace played the full 90 minutes for DC and had 2 assist on the match.

Chicago Fire 1 New England Revolution 1
    Both Gonzalo Segares and Gabriel Badilla did not play due to injuries.

Mexico
    Morelia 1 Tigres 1
    Oscar Rojas played the full 90 minutes and was red carded after the end of the match for arguing with the refs.

Romania
    FC Timisoara 1 Otelul Galati 0
    Winston Parks started and was subbed in the 59th minute as Timisoara wins. Timisoara is in 3rd place and will most likely play next years UEFA Cup.

16. I read somwhere that Bryan Ruiz might be going to Wigan Athletic, has any of you heard anything?

17. Vamos Ticos

Vamos Ticos Member

Jul 18, 2006
    It was mentioned a few months ago that Wigan was told to scout him because Newcastle was very interested in him. But I haven't heard anything since. Ruiz did say in an interview a couple of days ago that clubs from England, Spain, France, Scotland, and Turkey are targeting him...so it could be possible. Wigan also seems to like Latin American players since they have Figueroa, Rodallega, Valencia, and had Palacios not too long ago so a move there would make sense.

18. I first read it in a Wigan Forum, this team is look for strikers since Zaki is leaving and Heskey left couple of months ago.

19. Vamos Ticos

Vamos Ticos Member

Jul 18, 2006
  20. Moises

Moises Member

Feb 8, 2007
    miami
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    Honduras
    no serie A for your tico

21. Matt12

Matt12 Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Trondheim
    Club:
    Rosenborg BK
    Roy Miller played and scored a goal in the Norwegian cup 3 round when Rosenborg beat Levanger 0-5

22. Vamos Ticos

Vamos Ticos Member

Jul 18, 2006
    http://www.mariosegura.com/index.ph...enso&catid=82:ticos-en-el-exterior&Itemid=145
    Brescia finished 4th and will be playing in a Cuadrangular with 4 other teams to decide who the 3rd team will be to ascend to Serie A. Tuma should be in Serie A but his injuries are really hurting his chances right now...hope Brescia can win this mini tourny.

http://www.mariosegura.com/index.ph...onia&catid=82:ticos-en-el-exterior&Itemid=145
    Junior Diaz is champion once again in Poland with Wisla Krakow. Junior Diaz is a very lucky player because he sucks...but has 2 titles in 2 seasons in Europe as a starter...and seems very close to joining Celtic F.C. according to the Polish press.

23. Vamos Ticos

Vamos Ticos Member

Jul 18, 2006
    That's good to hear. How did Miller play in the match? I know he has had trouble getting minutes since Rosenborg seems to be stacked and have a lot of depth this season.

How are the other ticos doing? Can you rate the other 4?

1.Cristian Bolanos - IK Start
    2.Celso Borges - Fredrikstad
    3.Douglas Sequiera - Tromso
    4. Randall Brenes - Kongsvinger (2nd division)

24. Matt12

Matt12 Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Trondheim
    Club:
    Rosenborg BK
    Can`t really say much about Millers performance as i did not see the game. As for his future on the left side of the defense Dorsin Swedish national team player is a clear first choice and then Miller Nordvik and Helland are backups. Of the backups it is close between Nordvik and Miller but so far Nordvik have been preferd when Dorsin has been out.

There have been some talk about trying out Miller as a defensive midfilder but the midefield is the strongest part of the team and there is allready stiff competison for the defensive midfield place.

So i can`t really see Miller been a regular starter unless we get a lot of injuries or several players are sold. Now several of the midfielders have attracted intrest from biggerclubs abrode so that could happen.
    But atm i think the club would prefer to loan him out and Miller was close to a loan deal with one of the MLS clubs but the deal was canceld as Millers pregnant girl friend coulden`t get health incurance in the US.

here are some highlights from the game

http://webtv.tv2.no/webtv/sumo/?treeId=2081&progId=315415

Bolanos have been excellent for Start and has been one of the best and some would say the best player in the league.

Borges have been decent and i think when he gets a little time to adept to the league he can become a very good player for Fredrikstad. How would you comper Borges in terms of what the expectations for him are comperdto Bolanos

Sequiera Tromsø have been struggeling so far in the league particulary in the defensive part of the game, and Sequiera has been a back up central defender.
    So i havent seen him play that much and what i have seen haven`t been great but then again non of the other defensive players on the team have done well.

Brenes haven`t seen Kongsvinger play this year so couldent say, but the team over all is doing well and leading the league by 3 points.

25. Moises

Moises Member

Feb 8, 2007
    miami
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    Honduras
    pretty insane and crazy i would be super piss if i was a livorino fan and if a 7th place team beat my team.