Costa Rica MNT, News & Comments - Part IV

Discussion in 'Costa Rica' started by aguimarães, Jan 20, 2010.

1. Vamos Ticos

Vamos Ticos Member

Jul 18, 2006
    Yes the match was on ESPN in Spanish in the US....it was amazing to see how the Twente supporters went crazy when Ruiz was subbed in. I also read in a Costa Rican website that captain Wisgerhof said Ruiz is phenomenal...Ruiz was excellent against Argentina and yesterday against PSV...hope he keeps this form and can help FC Twente win the Eredivisie and even the Europa League since Twente has a really good team.

2. BigDreams

BigDreams Member

Aug 22, 2010
    Windsor, ON, Canada
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    El Salvador
    Can someone share a vid of that Twente game? Ruiz is a beast! Can't wait to see him in England, Germany or Spain. I think thats whats next for him.

3. Vamos Ticos

Vamos Ticos Member

Jul 18, 2006
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vM4AqKtaK-U"]YouTube - FC Twente - PSV 2-0 (Samenvatting) (Zaterdag 2 April) (Mooie Kwaliteit)[/ame]

4. Chiquitibum

Chiquitibum Member+

Apr 4, 2004
    Norte
    Club:
    Pumas UNAM
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    going to Copa America eh?

5. aguimarães

aguimarães Member

Apr 19, 2006
    Club:
    LD Alajuelense
    http://www.sbnation.com/soccer/2011...dhoven-eredivisie-top-two-teams-holland-title

6. Vamos Ticos

Vamos Ticos Member

Jul 18, 2006
    Would be great...but i heard Spain is the first option. If we do get invited i guess we'll be taking a U-23 team with 5 older players just like Mexico. The good thing is that Lavolpe has worked with a lot of players between 18-23 years old so we'll just have to add Navas, Bolanos, Tuma, Ruiz, and Saborio. We'll just have to wait and see what happens but it would be great for us to keep on growing as a team and give our young players international experience.

7. Titan 7

Titan 7 Member

Feb 17, 2003
    Tres Rios, CR
    If we go to Copa America, after playing Copa de Oro, we will just worn out our main players. I think its just a stupid idea, and we should've already have learned by now our lesson, after Kenton's debacle last Gold Cup (which was the root cause we failed to go to last World Cup). Going with an alternative squad isn't a good idea too.

8. Vamos Ticos

Vamos Ticos Member

Jul 18, 2006
    If we are invited....I say send 2 different teams....for example the abroad players...

Copa America - Keylor Navas, Esteban Alvarado, Mauricio Vargas, Tuma Martinez, Bryan Oviedo, Cristian Gamboa, Jordan Smith, Celso Borges, Pablo Herrera, Bryan Ruiz, Cristian Bolanos, Marco Urena, Diego Madrigal, Minor Escoe, Alvaro Saborio.

Copa Oro - Dennis Marshall, Michael Umana, Roy Miller, Junior Diaz, Gonzalo Segares, Leo Gonzalez, Roy Myrie, Randall Azofeifa, Michael Barrantes, Carlos Hernandez, Jean Carlo Solorzano,

We might not get great results...but our players need all the competitive matches they can get to gain experience....we need to learn from Mexico...they aren't crying about sending a U-23 team to the Copa America and those players will gain great experience playing in the Copa America.

9. tico6666 redded

tico6666 redded Red Card

Apr 21, 2010
    I think we can do it, have you seen how our U-20 plays? they're brutal, relentless, attacking, skillfull soccer, they're about to qualify for the WC, I would have no fear in sending our U-20 team along with 5 big players, even a mix of U-20 with local players plus 5 stars would be perfect, and send our top squad with 11 foreign players to the Gold Cup since that is our immediate objective and it's more important.

10. Titan 7

Titan 7 Member

Feb 17, 2003
    Tres Rios, CR
    Our goal should be win the Gold Cup and go to the Confederations Cup. Copa America is not our tournament.

11. Mosco

Mosco Member+

Dec 1, 2004
    Sun Valley, CA

Very well put this is exactly how Mexico sees it not to mention Argentina is the host and Mexico knowing how Conmebol works in corrupt ways Argentina is gonna get craddled all the way to the final of the tournament by refs and all. So sending your under 23 or 20 is not a bad idea plus look at the big picture even if you win the Copa America trophy thats all you get you won't get to go to Confederations cup cause your not from Conmebol but just in invite so it's pointless. So putting your best players in the Gold Cup makes scense cause you can win the trophy and make the Confederations cup 2013 Brasil!

12. jonny63

jonny63 Member+

Feb 17, 2005
    Norway
  13. jonny63

jonny63 Member+

Feb 17, 2005
    Norway
  14. Vamos Ticos

Vamos Ticos Member

Jul 18, 2006
  15. EvanJ

EvanJ Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Mar 30, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  16. Vamos Ticos

Vamos Ticos Member

Jul 18, 2006
    Lavolpe calls up 31 players for the friendly against Nigeria and Gold Cup. He will have to leave 8 players off the final Gold Cup list.
    http://www.nacion.com/2011-05-14/Deportes/NotasSecundarias/Deportes2777879.aspx

The teams age average is 23.5 years old which is great IMO.. but .important players were left out due to injuries though like Tuma Martinez, Roy Myrie, Pablo Herrera, and Michael Umana....and other players were left out that aren't in Lavolpe's plan for now like Michael Barrantes (bad decision IMO), Carlos Hernandez, Randall Azofeifa (another bad decision), and Roy Miller.

17. TBR

TBR Member

Mar 15, 2007
    DMV
    Club:
    CD Aguila
    Nat'l Team:
    El Salvador
    Nestor Benitez, vocero de la Confederación Suramericana de Futbol, confirmó esta mañana a ADN Radio (90.7 FM) que la selección mayor de Costa Rica ha sido invitada oficialmente a participar de la Copa América 2011.

Article : Costa Rica invitada a la Copa America

18. Vamos Ticos

Vamos Ticos Member

Jul 18, 2006
    Costa Rica has confirmed their participation in the Copa America. Lavolpe will most likely take a u-23 team as the base of the team with some other experienced players.
    http://everardoherrera.com/index.ph...pa-america&catid=82:seleccion-mayor&Itemid=59

7 new players will be called up for the Copa America. If I was Lavolpe I would call up...

Gilberto Martinez (Sampdoria, Italy)
    Randall Azofeifa (Genclerbirligi, Turkey)
    Roy Miller (New Yorl Red Bulls, MLS)
    Michael Barrantes (Aalesund, Norway)
    Pablo Herrera (Aalesund, Norway)
    Carlos Hernandez (Melbourne Victory, Australia)
    Minor Escoe (FC Lorient, France)

17 of the 30 called up for the Gold Cup are 23 yrs old or younger.
    http://everardoherrera.com/index.ph...de-23-anos&catid=82:seleccion-mayor&Itemid=59

19. TBR

TBR Member

Mar 15, 2007
    DMV
    Club:
    CD Aguila
    Nat'l Team:
    El Salvador
    Good luck at the tournament and represent Central America/CONCACAF well.

20. Vamos Ticos

Vamos Ticos Member

Jul 18, 2006
    Thanks! I hope we can at least compete against Argentina, Colombia, and Bolivia. I'm a little worried though since it looks like we won't be able to take any players that play abroad except for Roy Miller (NY Red Bulls, MLS). But i'm glad Lavolpe and our Fed accepted the invitation since this will help our U-23 team grow playing against excellent teams. Hopefully Ruiz, Bolanos, Navas, Saborio, Urena, Martinez, Oviedo, Celso, Azofeifa, and Alvarado will be allowed to join the team but it seems unlikely.

21. Vamos Ticos

Vamos Ticos Member

Jul 18, 2006
    Official roster for the Gold Cup...

Porteros
    Keylor Navas (Albacete, Spain)
    Donny Grant (San Carlos)
    Leonel Moreira (Herediano)

Defensas
    Bryan Oviedo (Nordsjaelland, Denmark)
    Óscar Duarte (Saprissa)
    Dennis Marshall (Aalborg BK, Denmark)
    Heiner Mora (Saprissa)
    Jhonny Acosta (Alajuelense)
    Junior Díaz (Club Brugge, Belgium)
    José Salvatierra (Alajuelense)
    Cristian Gamboa (Fredrikstad, Norway)

Volantes
    David Guzmán (Saprissa)
    Diego Madrigal (Cerro Porteno, Paraguay)
    Celso Borges (Fredrikstad, Norway)
    José Miguel Cubero (Herediano)
    Allen Guevara (Alajuelense)

Delanteros
    Marco Ureña (Kuban Krasnodar, Russia)
    Josué Martínez (Saprissa)
    Cristian Bolaños FC Copenhagen, Denmark)
    Bryan Ruiz (FC Twente, Holland)
    Randall Brenes (Cartagines)
    Joel Campbell (Saprissa)
    Álvaro Saborio (Realt Salt Lake, MLS)

22. Vamos Ticos

Vamos Ticos Member

Jul 18, 2006
  23. evangel

evangel Member+

Apr 12, 2007
    Wouldn't Madrigal be able to do both tournaments? I don't think a South American club would be against it.

It would be also be great to see Campbell play in both tournaments, though that would mean he would play in 3 straight tournaments in the summer (Gold Cup, Copa America, U-20 World Cup), so I guess it's not a good idea.

Regardless, it's a really busy summer for Costa Rica. I'll be keeping an eye on you guys.

24. Vamos Ticos

Vamos Ticos Member

Jul 18, 2006
    - Yea Madrigal will also be in the Copa America..so it looks like only Madrigal, Alvarado, Miller, and possibly Wallace will be the only abroad players we take unless other players are loaned at the last minute. I would like Gonzalo Segares and Michael Umana get a call but doesn't seem like Lavolpe has them in mind.

- I read that Campbell will most likely play all 3 tournaments this summer since Lavolpe considers him ready for the NT and the U-20 will definitely need him for the WC. I see him being a sub in the Gold Cup and probably starting in the Copa America and U-20 WC.

It sucks we can't take our A-Team to Copa America because i think we'd have a nice battle for 2nd place in the group with Colombia...but Mexico has the same problem and they would probably make it far with their A-team. At least this gives our Olympic team great competition before the Olympic qualifiers.

25. Pønch

Pønch Saprissista

Aug 23, 2006
    Donde siempre
    I heard somewhere that he might not be allowed to play both Copa América and Copa de Oro, as apparently there is a FIFA limitation that says a player that has already played two official FIFA tournaments with the absolute team is no longer elligible for a U-something WC.

FEDEFUTBOL was going to clarify with FIFA to learn if they actually considered Copa de Oro as an official "FIFA tournament" (or just as a CONCACAF tournament), but haven't heard anything else on it.

If it is true, I'd rather save him for the U-20 WC and have him skip Copa America or Copa de Oro.