cost for south africa trip

Discussion in 'USA Men: Fans & Travel' started by bostonf4lyf, Mar 11, 2007.

1. bostonf4lyf

bostonf4lyf Member

Mar 18, 2006
    wmass
    In 2010, i will be 21 years old and i am planning to attend the tournament, whether i get tickets or not. anyways, im trying to start saving money now, because i am sure i will not be able to afford the trip without saving.

can somebody give me an estimate of how much this trip would cost. the amount for the 2006 world cup would be helpful if anyone got the numbers.

2. TeamUSA

TeamUSA Member

Nov 24, 1999
    Tianjin, China
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Bank about $6,000.00 US Dollars. The flights are rather on the high side into Johannesburg, South Africa which last numbers floated around hit the $2,000.00 to $2,500.00 USD marks. Then figure in the hotel and possible car rental with that which throws another $2000.00. Then $2000.00 to spend about without any worries. Figuring on a two week trip, but not believing the US will go three and out again.

3. Galaxian

Galaxian Member

Oct 30, 2005
    Newport Beach, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ill be twenty , and I will be there for sure .

I'm getting a job this summer up until college , hoping to make around 6000 dollars for the home hex qualies , mexico city , and hopefully toronto.

4. FoxBoro 143

FoxBoro 143 Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How great would it be if they held it in Germany everytime? I did the Germany trip, two weeks all USA games and train passes and alcohol for about $2,500.
    Wont be anywhere near that cheap for SA unfortunately.

5. irish56

irish56 Member+

Oct 30, 2006
    indy
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    airfare to SA=$6000
    Hotel stay=$1200
    match tickets=$450
    Get rob of everything you have with you=$1500
    one year supply of HIV supressing drugs=$45000
    Getting out of SA with your life priceless:D

6. directorman

directorman New Member

Jan 21, 2007
    Omaha
    Ok, just as sort of a reference point here, since I want to make the 2010 my first World Cup as well, I plugged in June 9 - July 5 (Travelocity only allows a maximum of 26 days, and the WC is June 11 - July 11) of this year.

The lowest price for round trip airfare from Omaha to Johannesburg and hotel at what Travelocity rates 3 out of 5 stars is $3784 (That includes taxes and fees).

So, make of that what you will. But I'll be budgeting about 6 grand for the whole trip.

How far does our dollar go in South Africa? Will a car rental be necessary or will they have like, a FIFA sponsored bus or something?

7. FoxBoro 143

FoxBoro 143 Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wow, the more I see tnumbers, the more I think Ill have to skip it this time around. I simply cant afford that, unless i'm wealthy and SA looks like its not going to be dangerous. The way I see it, I can go to Mexico in 09 for the hex qualifier, and get a HUGE HDTV to watch the world cup, safely, and still spend much less.
    Although Ill go broke and go anyway, most likely.

8. The Wisdom Cube

The Wisdom Cube New Member

Oct 7, 2005
    Clemson, SC
    Don't be too discouraged. My dad went on business to South Africa last year and I believe his ticket was about $1200 through a South African airline, although they had to buy through Delta (Fed. govt money) which bumped it up to around $1700-1900. God knows how much plane tickets will be in 2010 though.

9. GOREVS3000

GOREVS3000 Moderator
    Staff Member

New England Revolution
    United States
    Sep 18, 2006
    Boston
    Club:
    2 de Mayo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    All you guys are mentioning staying in hotels...why not stay in a hostel or a camp? Go cheap. Forget hotels they're wicked expensive. Shoot low for a hostel. If its only a couple of guys going so what...

10. Bill Schmidt

Bill Schmidt BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 3, 2003
    Washington, DC
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's right. Especially if u have group of 2 or 4. That way you could get both beds in a two-bed room or all four in a four-bed room. Then you are talking $10-14 per person, maybe even less. That's what I did for the U.S. game in Mexico City.

11. bostonf4lyf

bostonf4lyf Member

Mar 18, 2006
    wmass
    after reading the responses, people are saying around $6000 for the trip. i agree with this number but if you want to have a comfortable time in SA without worrying about things you would have to rent a car and stay in a moderately nice living space

ticket-anywhere from $1200 to more likely $1500 in 2010
    gametickets(please god)-$500-800
    room and board-to stay in a decent hotel for 20 days, $2700transportation- rent a car for 20 days with gas prices in SA-$1500
    exta money- $1500

this comes to $8000, but if you wanted to go cheep i can see it being $6000 without a car and by staying in a hostel

conclusion, i was going to say buy a huge TV, but this is a once in a lifetime experience..kind of, so go to SA no matter what!

12. TeamUSA

TeamUSA Member

Nov 24, 1999
    Tianjin, China
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    FIFA should have chosen Morocco instead of South Africa for 2010.

13. Beerking

Beerking Member+

Nov 14, 2000
    Humboldt County
    LMAO :D true, he should save his money because FIFA will come to their senses and it won't be held there.

14. HighburyForever

HighburyForever Red Card

Oct 15, 2006
    Wooloomooloo, New South Wales
    Club:
    Zenit St Petersburg
    Nat'l Team:
    Russia
    If this was Germany, I would recommend staying in hostel if you're on a budget. But being this is South Africa, there is no way on earth I would suggest ANYONE (unless you have a small army) to stay in the hostel. :eek:

A German hostel and a South African hostel are two very different things.

15. directorman

directorman New Member

Jan 21, 2007
    Omaha
    This.

I can't even imagine staying in a South African hostel. No offense to those living there, truly.

I'll take my hotel and bed, thanks.

16. dirk diggler

dirk diggler Member

May 14, 2000
    Fire Daddy!
    Club:
    --other--
  17. dfb547490

dfb547490 New Member

Feb 9, 2000
    The Heights
    I'm not expecting it to cost too much for the 2010 WC. In fact I may just rent an RV so I don't have to worry about airfares and can go to our games in Cleveland, DC, and Foxboro at my own pace...

18. dirk diggler

dirk diggler Member

May 14, 2000
    Fire Daddy!
    Club:
    --other--
    Wasn't aware that there was a bridge between between Miami and Cape Town :D I hope they have a few gas station along that bridge!;)

19. J-Rod

J-Rod New Member

Aug 17, 2004
    Thanks for the great travel article. Airfare will be one of the big expenses for SA.
    FYI, I notice that Amex membership rewards has econ trip to SA for 80k miles. But they have a companion ticket available for 40k miles. Nice to know that Air France now flies to SA from US.
    With a bunch of planning and a lot of luck, was able to do Germany for a family of 3 completely on air miles. (for the most awesome vacation we ever had.) That was a great tip about breaking up the US-Europe and the Europe-SA legs into separate tickets. It may be worthwhile to look into paying for one of the legs and using miles to do the other leg. Here’s hoping (and planning.)