News: Cosmos to NASL

Discussion in 'New York City FC' started by PCFC, Jul 12, 2012.

1. QueensNick

QueensNick Member

Jul 19, 2007
    New York City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We all are - thats why this will only work if they are focused on MLS and that QUeens stadium. If they dont continue on that focus..the fans will lose interest.

2. AmeriSnob

AmeriSnob Member+

Jan 23, 2010
    Queens
    Club:
    New York Cosmos
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't see how Belson is "out there." Take the F to 19th and the Q30 or 31 and you're literally right in front of the stadium. The capacity is an issue at 3500, but the location? I don't think so.

I mean, it's no Manhattan, but its not that far from where the MLS team would be.

3. CosmosV

CosmosV Member

Sep 27, 2011
    Club:
    --other--
    Nah just taking a shot at the Drink ! but would be funny .

4. QueensNick

QueensNick Member

Jul 19, 2007
    New York City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

i would imagine 3500 is too small for nasl

5. PCFC

PCFC Member

May 13, 2007
    NYC
    Club:
    Newry City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  6. CosmosV

CosmosV Member

Sep 27, 2011
    Club:
    --other--
    it's up to the fans not to lose focus, none of this is easy , just look at what we have been through already, once they get the Cosmos up in running it will be the fans responsibility to fill the stadium and buy the merchandise for it to work. I think it's 50/50. The Cosmos will have to have a good PR and an international community type person who gets the word out. The first few years will be pretty rough but that's where the bonds are made with the fans, it's up to us not to abandon the team when it struggles.

7. QueensNick

QueensNick Member

Jul 19, 2007
    New York City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Yea dude - the fans actually are going to play a big role in the success - we really are going to have to work however- the club has to continue to work towards its promise of an MLS club.

8. AmeriSnob

AmeriSnob Member+

Jan 23, 2010
    Queens
    Club:
    New York Cosmos
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You are probably right, Nick. The smaller stadia in NASL are 1500 in Edmonton and 1000? in PR, which are both being upgraded to 4000 and 18000.

Wherever they end up playing, it's safe to say I will support this team over the Red Bulls. Though don't be surprised if, when the two teams play, I show up with a Metrostars flag.

9. QueensNick

QueensNick Member

Jul 19, 2007
    New York City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ha - i loved the metro colors - dont worry man - i enjoyed the metro very much and i still go to RBA too - i just wanted this team east of the rivers..preferably in Queens

10. QueensNick

QueensNick Member

Jul 19, 2007
    New York City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Guys - i might be having a call with Mr. Obrien tomorrow - shoot me your questions via PM - ill see if i can get some clarity

11. PCFC

PCFC Member

May 13, 2007
    NYC
    Club:
    Newry City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I still rock Metro gear.

In regards to the Cosmos playing in LI, I find it funny that both RBA and Hofstra are within walking distance from two failed NHL franchises. And personally, the Cosmos are the Rangers...not the Islanders or Devils.

12. QueensNick

QueensNick Member

Jul 19, 2007
    New York City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    HEY HEY HEY lol -

however- i never thought of that

13. CosmosV

CosmosV Member

Sep 27, 2011
    Club:
    --other--
    i hear you on MLS but if the Cosmos are back i don't care where they play or what league. MLS needs to step up there game and start getting players in there prime. It's nice to ask for $100 million for NY franchise but can i buy and sell players without being subjected to all these rules. the league needs another boost after Beckham and Henry.

14. Roger Allaway

Roger Allaway Member+

Apr 22, 2009
    Warminster, Pa.
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is Clive Toye going to be involved in the team now, in some sort of minor way? I know he wouldn't have gone near it when Kemsley and Chinaglia were involved.

15. pichichi2010

pichichi2010 Member+

Oct 24, 2010
    In your nets
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I looked into a hypothetical Saturday @ 6:00 pm LIRR train ride from Penn Station to Hempstead* and it takes 55 minutes to get to Hempstead. From there it would be easy to catch a 5 minute cab ride. As a point of reference, one could also catch the LIRR in Queens at Woodside and Jamaica.

* According to the Hofstra University website, the Hempstead train station is less than two miles from the campus.

16. VioletCrown

VioletCrown Member+

FC Dallas
    United States
    Aug 30, 2000
    Austin, Texas
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Current NASL average is 3788. I'd like to hope that, even at Hofstra, and even with it being D2, the Cosmos could draw better than that. Not the insane 35K numbers some poster somewhere dreamed of, but I'd like to think they could do better than 5k.

17. C'mon. COSMOS!

Mar 22, 2011
    Long Island, NY
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You know what's funny? I just went back and read this thread from the beginning...it's crazy how everyone was all ready to party in the streets until the word "Hofstra" came into play...and then it was like everyone here just watched their best friend drown their puppy while f**king their wives. THE COSMOS ARE BACK IN PLAY!!! Can we all start being a bit excited again?!?!?!?

Yeah, LI is a bitch to get to, I get it. But no more of a bitch than it will be for LI'ers to get to Flushing when - yeah...WHEN, not if - the club moves to their new digs. What's the problem with driving out to Hempstead? Can't drink? Pick a designated driver and quit belly-aching. Traffic? Not to Hempstead on a Friday evening in the summer...it's not like you have to go out to Montauk.

Remember the big picture...THE COSMOS ARE BACK. Let's start talking positives, shall we?

Mr.Smartypants and Smoke & Mirrors repped this.
  18. Red Card

Red Card Member+

Mar 3, 1999
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have a lot of respect for Hofstra as an educational institution. Almost simultaneous with dropping their football program they started a first class medical school. But getting back to sports, the fact is that they do have a decent stadium that is hardly used. I don't know how they handled parking and the LIRR (hopefully with free shuttle buses) when they had a big football game, but I assume they had some sort of plan to get thousands of people to and from the stadium.

19. modernfootball

Apr 15, 2011
    New York City
    Club:
    --other--
    It would be cool if the FO could set up a bus that goes from somewhere in the city to Hofstra and back. I don't have a car so going to games will be a bit rough.

20. citysoccer83

citysoccer83 Member

Jan 28, 2011
    I agree with you. And I'm a big picture guy too. And I am excited about the possibilities that this news presents. But I can't help to agree with some of the disappointment about hofstra. Granted that everyone's commute will be different, but I don't own a car so I ran the numbers according to google maps.

My apt to:
    Yankee stadium: 12 min
    MSG: 19 min
    Citi Field: 33 min
    Hofstra University: 1hr 36min
    Red Bull Arena: 56 min

Haha....excuse me if Im not jumping up and down at the prospect of getting to Hofstra

21. Ruict

Ruict Member

Oct 10, 2009
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I said if the first game where to be played at Citi field with lots of advertising behind it, they could pull in 35K.

22. QueensNick

QueensNick Member

Jul 19, 2007
    New York City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Your 100 percent right dude - i agree - however the guys here want a team in the city. Seamus O brien is out there saying MLS is the end game - and that stadium right now is trying for Queens but our goal is the city.

however, as long as the Cosmos continue on that goal, many of our members seem to be ready to sacrifice for a year or two and get the abuse of being the Long Island Cosmos and all that.

Like you said - we got a team to go out and watch...its just not where we want it...yet

Smoke & Mirrors repped this.
  23. PCFC

PCFC Member

May 13, 2007
    NYC
    Club:
    Newry City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You have to understand that LI is difficult for carless New Yorkers that ride the subway everyday. Its why Garber states many times that NYC2 needs a subway line. FCNY previously was a 2nd tier soccer team trying to capture NYC and ultimately got rejected by many fans for playing outside the city. Lets not forget that they did many things wrong, but when compared the name will be the main difference (and MLS ambitions). FCNY ultimately played at Belson...but it was all too late. There are NYC based venues that have NASL capacities. And since so many fans will be looking at attendance to gauge MLS2NYC, its extra important to display strong fan support. If its so easy to get LI support, get your fans...because I can't be like, "hey friends, come check out the Cosmos" without difficult planning. Most of my friends don't have cars.

24. QueensNick

QueensNick Member

Jul 19, 2007
    New York City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Its a fair concern - the LIRR goes out there but that last 2 miles is the big issue. From the train station to the stadium.

Im going to bring this up with them when i get them on the phone.

Will try to set something up with the fans and Seamus as soon as possible so he can answer these questions.

Let me ask you this PC - is it easier for you to make that commitment if you know the end game is Queens?

25. PCFC

PCFC Member

May 13, 2007
    NYC
    Club:
    Newry City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Clearly a year or two is doable, but 3 hours commuting is a reason many get angry at traveling to RBA. So it goes both ways. Especially without a subway line.