News: Cosmos to NASL

Discussion in 'New York City FC' started by PCFC, Jul 12, 2012.

1. PCFC

PCFC Member

May 13, 2007
    NYC
    Club:
    Newry City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    35K for an NASL team is a bit delusional. Why not just sell-out every game in Belson? It would create a buzz and appeal of exclusivity.

2. Jossed

Jossed Member+

Apr 23, 2011
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    By Kenn's own numbers, only three minor league teams average over 5,000. San Antonio, Orlando, and Rochester. And Rochester's numbers are inflated.

3. PCFC

PCFC Member

May 13, 2007
    NYC
    Club:
    Newry City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's what I asked and no one seemed to answer. So no one seems to know. Could be a move because Garber told them no.

4. Smoke & Mirrors

Jul 18, 2010
    Club:
    Ft Lauderdale Strikers
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    And you really think the NY Cosmos brand should set their sights lower than those three? The guy who said 35,000 is thinking way too big for D2, but if San Antonio Scorpions can average 9,000+, the New York Cosmos certainly can.

5. CosmosV

CosmosV Member

Sep 27, 2011
    Club:
    --other--
    NASL is exactly what MLS needs a rival league ! Can't wait to beat the rED bULLS in the US Open Cup at RBA and have more Cosmos fans fill there Arena. let's make it happen people ! it starts now !

6. Smoke & Mirrors

Jul 18, 2010
    Club:
    Ft Lauderdale Strikers
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Interested in your comments and take on all of this. I've seen you posting as someone deeply invovled in the revival of the Cosmos for quite some time. Were you aware of this? If you read O'Brien's letter it seems obvious to me that they consider this a first step on the road to the highest level of American pro soccer. In fact it pretty much says that outright. I don't think it ever mattered whether or not this particular group became the one, or part of the one that ultimately owns NY2 in MLS. But I think they are in a unique position to ensure one way or another they make out big from owning the Cosmos name if they can get this NASL franchise made into a legitmiate organization over the next couple of years. If they do things right and the Cosmos brand has a true rebirth, how can MLS ignore it? You either have to let them in on their own if they have the money, let them in as a minority owner bringing the name with them, or outright buy the name from them. Smart business maneuvering on their part if you ask me, if they are able to rebuild the brand to a high level over the next couple of years in the NASL.

7. Jossed

Jossed Member+

Apr 23, 2011
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Different situation. San Antonio was starved for a pro soccer team. The NYC area doesn't really embrace minor league teams. The Cosmos were a draw because of their players. Not the uniform. Even if they call themselves the Cosmos, they are not going to have superstars players like the fanbase expect the Cosmos to have. Nor will they be playing against the best teams in North America every week. They drew poorly when they played at Hofstra in the early 70s and didn't draw until Pele was brought in 1975.

If anything, the Cosmos risk damaging their brand returning as a minor league team. They have to announce this is a stepping stone to MLS and #20.

If you think this means the NASL is now a rival to MLS, you are delusional.

8. Ruict

Ruict Member

Oct 10, 2009
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would be very disappointed if it wasn't the Cosmos as NY2.
    NASL is a temp stop for the Cosmos, it has to be. Use NASL to get the team going so the transition will be smooth to MLS. All the pieces are falling into place.

9. PCFC

PCFC Member

May 13, 2007
    NYC
    Club:
    Newry City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    San Antonio doesn't have any rival teams. New York has 9 pro teams (excluding the Red Bulls as most TV networks do). Most people would much rather watch a more competitive MLS team that (for me) is easier to get to from NYC. Not to mention, go see the Yankees, Mets, and the millions of Euro friendlies happen in their stadiums this year.

10. Ruict

Ruict Member

Oct 10, 2009
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I truly believe that if the Cosmos advertise correctly and that every NY station announces that the Cosmos are back starting next April at Citi field, I bet every penny I have that they will get 35,000K.

11. CosmosV

CosmosV Member

Sep 27, 2011
    Club:
    --other--
    http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/need

12. napolisoccer

napolisoccer Member

NYCFC - Napoli
    Feb 20, 2005
    Napoli
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Can somebody to explain me why the NASL and not the MLS at Citi Field ? I at least hope that in 2014 we will see this team in MLS at Citi Field.

13. PCFC

PCFC Member

May 13, 2007
    NYC
    Club:
    Newry City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    @GrantWahl: Spoke to Cosmos chairman Seamus O'Brien. Said team hopes to play in existing venue in Queens or Long Island.

14. Jossed

Jossed Member+

Apr 23, 2011
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Because the Mets are not going to share their new stadium with a MLS team for the summer?

15. fifty7

fifty7 Member

Oct 27, 2010
    Long Island
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm a Long Islander, so I'd be okay with Hofstra for minor league games until MLS comes calling in Flushing. International friendlies and Open Cup matches could be played at Citi.

Imagine the first Hudson River Derby game in Queens @_@

16. RAL_United

RAL_United Member

Nov 1, 2011
    Raleigh
    Club:
    Carolina Railhawks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So you think a D2 team will pull in twice as many fans as the MLS team? Also, is a baseball stadium really a possibility? Seems like there would be a lot of conflicts for game dates during the summer and its not likely that pro soccer players want on a field with partly dirt surface.

17. PCFC

PCFC Member

May 13, 2007
    NYC
    Club:
    Newry City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They'd be drawing more than the Mets right now.

18. OleGunnar20

OleGunnar20 Member+

Dec 7, 2009
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    so since it seems like the stadium at Hofstra ... for us non-NYCers how easy is that to get to from NYC proper by public transportation?

it seems like if it is at all a hassle they won't get nearly the fans one would expect for a brand name like NY Cosmos ... the core fanbase seems to be nostaltic hipsters ... don't imagine many of those live in Hampstead do they?

but pretty good news ... depending on how competent the FO is of this new Cosmos and if they can still harness all of that great and creative marketing buzz they had going a while back they might be able to average 5-10K i'd say ... right up there with the other prospective teams hoping to graduate to MLS: orlando and san antonio. and remember portland was around 8-10K in their D2 years leading up to MLS and MTL was around 12K.

19. Ruict

Ruict Member

Oct 10, 2009
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I mean the 1st game, after that it would be in Hosftra, LI.

20. QueensNick

QueensNick Member

Jul 19, 2007
    New York City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I think you hit the nail on the head - its not easy at all dude. Public Transportation is just a pain in the ass. Car is easier - traffic but easier but as you know, not everyone has a car.

The new Front Office has a lot to prove to ensure to me and many others that they are for real. I heard from someone the NASL deal is short term, if true, it says A LOT about their plans and goals

21. PCFC

PCFC Member

May 13, 2007
    NYC
    Club:
    Newry City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'll be waiting for Grant Wahl's story tomorrow. You all should too.

22. napolisoccer

napolisoccer Member

NYCFC - Napoli
    Feb 20, 2005
    Napoli
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I hope that SHORT TERM means 1 year........

23. Goforthekill

Goforthekill Member

Aug 13, 2011
    Minnesota
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    35,000 is a little extreme, even for the cosmos. i could see 15,000-25,000 for game 1 but after that maybe 10,000 for the rest of the season. attendances will probably drop dramatically for season 2 in NASL (if there is one) unless they sign some stars.

24. Goforthekill

Goforthekill Member

Aug 13, 2011
    Minnesota
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    don't get ahead of yourself, but yes, this could be the first step. the NFL had the AFL, the NBA had the ABA and the NHL hat the WHA. the NASL could very well evolve into a rival if they keep the cosmos long term (need a proper stadium).

25. Ruict

Ruict Member

Oct 10, 2009
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just signed up for tickets at nycosmos.com

Smoke & Mirrors and PCFC repped this.