Cosmos NEW Stadium Thread

Discussion in 'New York Cosmos' started by penske, Aug 6, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cflsteve

cflsteve Member

Jul 21, 2013
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Sorry was just asking a question. Did not mean to cause any confusion.

2. San Diego Socker

Aug 3, 2014
    San Diego
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The cosmos brand, What little value it has left? You should be saying to yourself what little value your adding to this thread with that statement.

OpenCupFan and Quakesss repped this.
  3. FoxBoro 143

FoxBoro 143 Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think it's clear at this point that the Cosmos brand only has so much value to it right now, and it's value is as the New York Cosmos. My point was that operating the club in another market like Hartford makes little sense as it would make more sense to start something original from scratch.

4. jspech

jspech Member

Dec 12, 2013
    #504 jspech, Sep 1, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 1, 2014
    Sunday night, I had the pleasure of attending a BBQ in Elmont NY, where the Cosmos planned stadium will be. Thou I have been to race track before, & certainly drove pass numerous times, I have never spent any time in the town.

Interesting observations:
    -Driving pass track & into town something just struck me, yes I prefer Acqeduct or something closer to city, Elmont is not a bad option. It is across the street from Queens & subway (15mins) from Jamaica Station JMZ, E,F trains, LIRR at Jamaica (shuttle buses can work). It is literlly across the street from Queens. It does not feel like u are in LI at all. It feels like you are in the Borough of Queens.

"Moments", a Reggae club that is well known in NYC is in the town

- beautiful two story homes for middle & working class AA, & Caribbean people.
    It is not the ghetto, shit hole it has been portrayed as in some places. Chester, Pa it is certainly not.

Working-Middle class mother & father households from what I gathered

- I mentioned stadium planned in a few conversations. The mostly Jamaican crowd of people at the BBQ were amped by the possibilities. They wanna watch soccer. Div.II won't keep them away. The idea of a stadium was greeted w/excitement. The Cosmos needs to put some flags in the town. Get interactive w/ the community, NOW.
    No one in pining for MLS or NASL or USLPro. They are pinning for soccer & a stadium.

so w/this new Stadium, hopeful w/ USMNT games, international friendlies, FIFA match ups, the NY Cosmos will draw, from Long Island, Queens, & Brooklyn. These people did not struck me like they will be heading to the Bronx or Harrison, NJ to watch soccer. But a stadium in their Community, Yes for sure.

I have often wondered why Belmont? Being in the town I understand why, after exiting from the Cross Is. Parkwy 25minutes after leaving Bed-Stuy, Bklyn. Moderate traffic!!

Cheers to the Cosmos org. U know what your are doing, by quietly waiting for the state's decision. Given Real Estate in NYC, this location is a gem & a potential gold mine for the Club. People will come. It's not Hofstra, LI far. It is Queens, NY. Don't believe anything else you may have heard.

The Cosmos supporters & Org, need not worry what NYCFC or NYRB is doing. With this stdium my NY Cosmos will be solid. Elmont Crossing it will be. I do wish u can keep size similar to Sporting KC 18-20,000 seats. The atmosphere will be very important.

Quakesss and oneeyedfool repped this.
  5. FoxBoro 143

FoxBoro 143 Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  6. wolfp10

wolfp10 Member

Sep 25, 2005
    Any meaningful updates or approaching milestones?

7. oneeyedfool

oneeyedfool Member+

Nov 17, 2012
    Club:
    New York Cosmos
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  8. cflsteve

cflsteve Member

Jul 21, 2013
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    That would seem to be the smart and best set up for the Cosmos new stadium having the Queens/Brooklyn population as u said likely not going to travel to Bronx and especially not Harrison for soccer matches.
    A stadium and training facilities with some backing from Emirates could be the Emirates Club sponsored sides as a home base when they come for US/Canada summer tours.

9. nanoGVSP

nanoGVSP Member+

Jan 31, 2012
    New york
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    Finally the Cosmos admit they are looking into different locations, if they weren't before at least now they are. IMO this should have been done a long time ago.
    Someone mentioned the MCU park, that sounds like a good option.

10. OpenCupFan

OpenCupFan Member

Jun 19, 2014
    Club:
    New York Cosmos
    I believe they admitted this sometime ago. But they didn't want to walk away from this location until they got a solid "no" on the stadium proposal.

11. jspech

jspech Member

Dec 12, 2013
    this locatio will also be a gem for concerts & large gatherings. Also should state kick in a in few $$$ (not a fan of taxs $$ for stadiums). They can do a retrachable roo
    Let's not getting two things confused here.
    1. better accessible place to play. I suggested maybe a few games @MCU, Coney Island
    2. Cosmos stated they are looking into backup Stadium sites in case Belmont falls thru.

#1 hopefully stops current attendance downward trend.
    #2 IMHO is to reassure Cosmos supporters that the management is committed.

And flies in the face of those in the top Div. who are still seeking legitimacy w/the masses & have suggested that certain area DI team buys out Cosmos & rebrand their club as NY Cosmos.
    That's their insecurity speaking, but it tickles my funny bones, so I laugh when I read that.

Good to know there is a commitment & if that changes hopeful they sell to an area person, who is a visionary. One who sees the potential goldmine that a 15-18,o00 seater in Queens, LI or Brooklyn can be.

12. DanGerman

DanGerman Member+

Aug 28, 2014
    New York City
    Club:
    New York City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I really think they should consider the MCU option. The longer the Cosmos don't hear anything about belmont the worse things get. They definitely need to get out of Hofstra as I think that stadium is hurting and not helping.

13. Bklyn Royals Fan

United States
    Jan 17, 2008
    Club:
    New York Cosmos
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    oneeyedfool repped this.
  14. oneeyedfool

oneeyedfool Member+

Nov 17, 2012
    Club:
    New York Cosmos
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I actually didn't think of that - NYPenn League is only 6/15-8/31. So you could play the entire spring season there with no baseball interference and only have that problem for the first few weeks of fall, which could be scheduled towards more away than home games in that patch anyway.
    Makes this a much more appealing option.

15. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Except for it being a 7,500 seat baseball stadium.

16. oneeyedfool

oneeyedfool Member+

Nov 17, 2012
    Club:
    New York Cosmos
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Here's the MCU layout for the semipro football team. Doesn't look that great unless they add more field level access seating temporarily during the non-baseball season:

[​IMG]

17. davidrpaige

davidrpaige Member

May 17, 2008
    Washington, DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Not to piss in everyone's Cherrios, but MCU is going to be a shitty place to watch football or soccer. It is a small capacity baseball stadium so all the seats are congregated near home plate. You know what that does? Makes for crappy seating for soccer. Just take a second and look at the layout, it is awful.

Yes, CI would be a much better location then Hempstead, but without a proper setup it is a downgrade. They'd have better results if they said they'd play on the Great Lawn in Central Park and that would be a crappy option too.

18. cflsteve

cflsteve Member

Jul 21, 2013
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Wow that is a great alternative to Hofstra. Being that MCU installed field turf in 2013 I believe for the very reason of having other tenants to the stadium. The sideline seats that the Rowdies have installed this season would be an excellent seating option to bring the seating capacity up to almost 9K. Also adds an additional premium VIP section behind the grand stands. That new seating at Al Lang is removable if needed but is said not to be ideal for constant movement.
    On the flipside to the Mets run MCU is the Yankees NY-PENN league Staten Island Yankees with RCB Ballbark in which is run by the Yankees and could be the sight of their USLPro side.
    MCU something the Cosmos should look into using in some capacity.
    Both sites have the beautiful setting as well as modern amenities in which Hostra does not have.
    I could almost bet the NYCFC would schedule an appearance at RCB Ballpark for a friendly, especially vs reserve / USLPro club if it uses the venue, and/or early US Open home match.
    Really some unique options for soccer matches involving NYC clubs

19. cflsteve

cflsteve Member

Jul 21, 2013
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    converting a baseball stadium for soccer or football is never perfect. Tampa Bay sporting the sideline seats will be an option that I think clubs will use to their advantage.
    Have to weigh the pluses and minus when it comes to this.
    MCU. better location, more modern amenities, option to add seating closer to the pitch.
    Hofstra. Former football stadium converted now for soccer and Lacrosse. minimal extra lines for Lacrosse opposed to football lines.

If Hoftsra location is hurting attendance and MCU would attract better attendance then it is worth looking into. Remember this is hopefully just a short term and the new stadium will come sooner than later

20. athletics68

athletics68 Member+

Dec 12, 2006
    San Diego & San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well that and isn't MCU park all artificial turf anyway since Hurricane Sandy. Pretty hard to screw it up.

21. jspech

jspech Member

Dec 12, 2013
    #521 jspech, Sep 4, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 4, 2014
    actually thought a re-modelled RCB Ballpark in SI will is where NYCFC may end up if the BX falls thru.

Google- Tallest Ferris Wheel that will soon start Construction next to RCB Ballpark, plus lots of other development at water front. The Staten Island Yankees can move to Newark Bears Stadium, which is a yr or 2 older than RBA, an currently has zero tenant. Newark Bears folded,

MCU also has a sizable parking lot, that can hold a 15-18,000 SSS. The landmark Child's Resturant next door, is getting a few $mil reno, to serve as former Boro Pres. amphi-theatre & Resturants, for his pet concert series. All in all this is the push to make CI a 24/7, 365 day destination.

Google MAP 21 st And Surf Ave for view

22. jspech

jspech Member

Dec 12, 2013
    #522 jspech, Sep 16, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 16, 2014
    Now the interlopers have turned to one of my proposed site for the Cosmos Stadium; Acqueduct Racetrack as they have fallen on their face in the Bronx. To slow NY Cosmos, sometimes one just can not sit idle.
    If this goes thru, & Cosmos Stadium at Belmont is approved, it means 2 SSS w/in a 10-15 min drive ( Belt Pkwy to Cross Is. Pkwy) of each other. About 8 miles people. 8 freaking, fracking ,F'ing miles.

Folks that's (2) 25,000 seat stadiums built on state owned land already zoned for sports. I cannot see that happening.

Sadly my worst fears may come thru, co-tenants. NYCFC & NY Cosmos. The state cannot justify approving 2 SSS on state property w/ the housing crisis in NYC.

What the F'*u* does this mean for my club?
    NY Cosmos, your silence is not needed right now.
    Action!!!

Soccer club considers Aqueduct for stadium site http://capi.tl/1y8Znrn via @capitalnewyork

HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!!!!!

23. Sporting Real

Sporting Real Member+

Jun 29, 2011
    Kansas City
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I've often wondered why the Cosmos didn't try for Brooklyn, both for where to play currently and where to build a permanent home. Sure, it's mad expensive, but you've got that oil money baby! Not to mention the Cosmos are like the hipster, anti-establishment team, and Brooklyn is something of a hipster haven. This would have be perfect for them

Blando13 repped this.
  24. OpenCupFan

OpenCupFan Member

Jun 19, 2014
    Club:
    New York Cosmos
    Aquaduct ain't happening. Might as well be on Mars, except Mars would be more convenient.

Brooklyn/Queens border would be nice, but good luck finding the land - even if the money is available.

25. jspech

jspech Member

Dec 12, 2013
    there's a big parking lot next to MCU Park in Coney Island, maybe not for 25,000 seats but surely 15-18,000.
    Damn it, Acqueduct NYCFC Stadium will be a garanutee sharing sitution for Cosmos. I just don't see any other option, this will differently eat into potential fan base. And I was just thinking, thou not a Cuomo fan thought his re-election would be good for the "Mos. This is just not good, not good at all.