Cosmos Future Stadium Thread

Discussion in 'New York Cosmos' started by SoccerPrime, Sep 25, 2014.

1. Sam U El

Sam U El Moderator
    Staff Member

May 31, 2013
    Seoul Korea
    Club:
    New York Cosmos
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't see where you draw "quell" D1 talk out of this article... I think they mention possibly building a stadium in Brooklyn.

2. athletics68

athletics68 Member+

Dec 12, 2006
    San Diego & San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Didn't see that part. Guess we'll have to endure years more of them pretending they'll someday be D1.

3. Sam U El

Sam U El Moderator
    Staff Member

May 31, 2013
    Seoul Korea
    Club:
    New York Cosmos
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There was a fairly robust discussion regarding this on Soccer Morning... We can all sit back and shoot conjecture about the future of the Cosmos but I think the longer they exist and the more traction they gain they will ultimately end up in MLS. Now of course that may just be my opinion and I understand there are folks who stand opposed to this based on dislike of the Cosmos, NASL or MLS. At the end of the day, this manufactured "feud" between the Cosmos and MLS means nothing. It will come down to smart business. Anyone that says to you NY City can't support 3 MLS franchises doesn't know what they are talking about and should simply STFU.

The Cosmos are taking the hardest road possible and in some respect are becoming the Anti-American team and that is actually another piece that could prove to strengthen the world wide brand of MLS if/when they do actually join forces. It seems like just yesterday that MLS was going to pause at 20 teams... Now not only did they bypass that rhetoric in the space of a year they haven't let the dust settle to announce going beyond 24... Perhaps NASL is on their minds more than some would like to admit. The Don is the voice of the BOD and if the Owners and the Cosmos come to terms in the future they will be part of the league. The Don just left the door wide open for the Cosmos a few days ago. Now they can talk all they want about El Paso, St. Louis, Louisville etc... but New York still equals television dollars and the Cosmos in MLS is worth more to both sides than without it.

brentgoulet repped this.
  4. Darkwing McQuack

Darkwing McQuack BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 11, 2011
    Morrisville, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wonder if they build it in Brooklyn if it'll just be the stadium or if they'll do the stadium, hotel, shops, and restaurants like in Belmont?

5. Sam U El

Sam U El Moderator
    Staff Member

May 31, 2013
    Seoul Korea
    Club:
    New York Cosmos
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I guess that would come down to how big those, "parcels of land we can build out in the Coney Island area that can hold a soccer team," are that the Brooklyn Borough President was quoted about... Man wouldn't it be wonderful (the irony) to see the Don on stage working for the Cosmos owners? Hmmm... Viva la single entity!

6. Darkwing McQuack

Nov 11, 2011
    Morrisville, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'd laugh more if the Cosmos and NYCFC had to join forces for a stadium.

kenntomasch repped this.
  7. Sam U El

Sam U El Moderator
    Staff Member

May 31, 2013
    Seoul Korea
    Club:
    New York Cosmos
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Could you imagine Derby day?

USAsports6 repped this.
  8. nanoGVSP

nanoGVSP Member+

Jan 31, 2012
    New york
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    I can tell you have never set foot in Brooklyn. It would be the exact opposite, even in a MCU park wich I'm sure would only be temporary. They would build in the adjacent area, wich has been mentioned before.

Sam U El repped this.
  9. Onionsack

Onionsack BigSoccer Yellow Card

Jul 21, 2003
    New York City
    Club:
    FC Girondins de Bordeaux
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is that any worse than enduring years of watching the Quakes be irrelevant and terrible on the pitch?

USAsports6 and oneeyedfool repped this.
  10. manny84

manny84 Member

Mar 16, 2015
    New York, NY
    Club:
    New York Cosmos
    Coney Island would be a good location too, IMO. That area could use a lift. The prospect of the Cosmos playing in MLS against NYCFC would be sweet. I hope it happens soon.

11. Darkwing McQuack

Nov 11, 2011
    Morrisville, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So I guess they're not bothering to cover the dirt? That's a bummer.

FoxBoro 143 and oneeyedfool repped this.
  12. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes, how DID you survive that? Do tell.

13. oneeyedfool

oneeyedfool Member+

Nov 17, 2012
    Club:
    New York Cosmos
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'll be there tomorrow so I'll share how it feels for a gameday experience vs Shuart.

brentgoulet repped this.
  14. brentgoulet

brentgoulet Member+

Oct 12, 2005
    PuertoPlata, DomRep
    They'll invite this guy

[​IMG]

15. raymondleone

raymondleone Member

Aug 7, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Prosoccercdn repped this.
  16. Darkwing McQuack

Nov 11, 2011
    Morrisville, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    o_O That's um... Yea...

17. nanoGVSP

nanoGVSP Member+

Jan 31, 2012
    New york
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
  18. Brooklynspor

Brooklynspor New Member

May 6, 2015
    Club:
    Galatasaray SK
    I don't know why it would be funny, it might be an ideal situation, because right now, neither have anything set in stone. The Cosmos are in a better situation, slightly, but if the bid for Elmont site fails, they are in the same situation with NYCFC. I don't think NYCFC will be opening any doors to a rival organization and I don't think they would take one offered from the Cosmos, but if they agree at this point, to work together on a site, I think both teams could save face moving forward. I don't see either team hopping on to the other team's successful stadium after the fact, as they will look like 2nd class citizens at the park. This has to be done prior to any concrete establishment of a site and it might pay off, if they work together. Do I see it happening? Not likely, but I wouldn't be surprised.

It's not dirt. It's actually the same turf, but different colors. It was slightly distracting, but regarding the turf it self, the Cosmos were full of praise after the game. They said it was the best artificial turf they have played on. It cost about a million dollars to install.

Article about the turf...
    http://www.fieldturf.com/fr/artific...install-fieldturf-doubleplay-turf-at-mcu-park

Cosmos talk about the turf after game...
    http://www.sbisoccer.com/2015/05/brooklyn-compare-surface.html

Time lapse video of the park being transformed for soccer...

brentgoulet repped this.
  19. nanoGVSP

nanoGVSP Member+

Jan 31, 2012
    New york
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
  20. oneeyedfool

oneeyedfool Member+

Nov 17, 2012
    Club:
    New York Cosmos
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    @FivePointsPress twitter feed had awesome detailed coverage. Sounds like it was overwhelmingly well received with only one detractor aside from state senator Carrie Solegens or whatever his name is, who cited that stadium projects rarely financially benefit communities. The reports I've seen on that are usually talking about stadium projects paid for mostly by taxpayers... I would imagine a privately financed stadium would make a big difference there. Haters gonna hate.

21. AmeriSnob

AmeriSnob Member+

Jan 23, 2010
    Queens
    Club:
    New York Cosmos
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not only are the Cosmos funding the stadium, but also development in the area, and an upgrade to the LIRR station to make it a permanently running station rather than one that just runs on horse racing days. That's the definition of "financially benefitting communities."

Sam U El and oneeyedfool repped this.
  22. Darkwing McQuack

Nov 11, 2011
    Morrisville, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Guys, guys. You're thinking about this to logically. The nimby's aren't going to comprehend what you're saying.

23. cflsteve

cflsteve Member

Jul 21, 2013
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    It is hard for me to comprehend the politics for a franchise that is paying for a new stadium themselves is having such a hard time securing a location. Belmont, Brooklyn, Coney Island, would all benefit from a new venue of that price that would be able to host many other events other than NASL Cosmos.