Cosmos Future Stadium Thread

Discussion in 'New York Cosmos' started by SoccerPrime, Sep 25, 2014.

1. jspech

jspech Member

Dec 12, 2013
    Very good points. I was looking at a map of what I thought was the 5 boroughs, because Brooklyn & Queens was the first names I saw. The population was listed as 8.9 or so million. I wondered if the NYC population grew. It was actually a map of LI of which Brooklyn & Queens are part of according the the map of our great country. That's almost 9 million people. So, Belmont is actually the perfect location. Something I did not thing at first. It allows the team to claim Queens, LI. Plus, one or more yearly visit to Coney Is. keeps it Brooklyn fresh.

2. USAsports6

USAsports6 Member+

FC Dallas
    United States
    Oct 17, 2014
    Club:
    Indy Eleven
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Saw this on twitter, not sure if Belmont will ever workout for you guys but Brooklyn seems like a strong alternative.

Unak78, Sam U El and oneeyedfool repped this.
  3. oneeyedfool

oneeyedfool Member+

Nov 17, 2012
    Club:
    New York Cosmos
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If he can make it happen, that's great

Unak78, Zoidberg and Sam U El repped this.
  4. bnyc

bnyc Member

Jan 20, 2015
    New York
    Club:
    New York Cosmos
    Or build in Coney Island, Sunset Park, etc. Difficult but not impossible; especially if Adams and a few others get on board. I would think Aquaduct would also be considered.

All this as Plan B though; the Cosmos are still all in for Elmont.

5. Darkwing McQuack

Darkwing McQuack BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 11, 2011
    Morrisville, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    NYCFC are apparently looking at the Aquaduct again.

6. jspech

jspech Member

Dec 12, 2013
    Who cares?

7. Darkwing McQuack

Darkwing McQuack BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 11, 2011
    Morrisville, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just passing along info. No need to be rude. :p Also I'd imagine your team would care if they're looking at secondary locations, lol.

When Saturday Comes repped this.
  8. bnyc

bnyc Member

Jan 20, 2015
    New York
    Club:
    New York Cosmos
    A stadium on the subway? I care.
    Your question should be 'will Cosmos draw more in Elmont or in the City?'

9. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 Member+

Jan 11, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    brentgoulet repped this.
  10. brentgoulet

brentgoulet Member+

Oct 12, 2005
    PuertoPlata, DomRep
    Hey guys, wake up, there's a decision to be made

[​IMG]

Prosoccercdn repped this.
  11. Sam U El

Sam U El Moderator
    Staff Member

May 31, 2013
    Seoul Korea
    Club:
    New York Cosmos
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    :sleep:...Heh, wha?....:sleep:

brentgoulet repped this.
  12. Cirris

Cirris Member+

Feb 25, 2014
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    They'll get around to it after they pass the MMA sanctioning bill...

[​IMG]

Unak78 repped this.
  13. MLSinSTL

MLSinSTL Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Mar 20, 2009
    Ohio - near a city
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  14. brentgoulet

brentgoulet Member+

Oct 12, 2005
    PuertoPlata, DomRep
  15. Jossed

Jossed Member+

Apr 23, 2011
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    We have heard that before and Erik Stover might be the last person on earth I'd listen to about anything.

16. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  17. MLSinSTL

MLSinSTL Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Mar 20, 2009
    Ohio - near a city
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The ESD should decline all three of the existing bids for the current RFP at this point. I read the article and left it saying - wow this process is effed up. No wonder it's so hard to build anything in the NYC area. Best of luck to the Cosmos as they try to find a place to build a stadium.

My favorite quote from the article (by NY Congressman Gregory Meeks) - "It is an existing bid that is existing now, but in fairness to all three of the good companies that would like to do something at Belmont, we thought this would put them in a bad position that if should there be a new RFP, we don’t know if there will be or not, but should there be a new RFP that opens up to other bidders, I don’t want to put them in a bad spot where they are prejudiced."
    [​IMG]

I don't think that the honorable Mr. Meeks understands the definition of the words fairness, prejudiced or the phrase bad position. IMO this RFP seems to already have some prejudice, and lacks fairness (waiting 3 years only to maybe re-open the RFP) and has put all 3 bidders on the current RFP in a bad position. But that's just my opinion.

brentgoulet repped this.
  18. jaykoz3

jaykoz3 Member+

Dec 25, 2010
    Conshohocken, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Kind of sounds like the ESD is not happy with any of the three current RFP's, and doesn't want to tell the three parties "Thanks but no thanks."

It's understandable that the ESD is skeptical of a stadium project that includes retail development as well. Not that this would be case in this instance, but there are many examples of stadiums projects that were proposed as part of a larger mixed development in this country where only the stadium was built. Stadiums are not a driver of retail development. The Cosmos project is excellent on paper, and sounds amazing. Unfortunately for them, so have many stadium projects. PPL Park, RBA, Toyota Park, Marlins Park, DSG, etc.

19. Brooklynspor

Brooklynspor New Member

May 6, 2015
    Club:
    Galatasaray SK
    I'm going to a go a step further and say they are not happy with any of the three current proposals and they have another group they would rather see, that didn't partake in the initial round of bidding. I also think the three delay and even with this current announcement of a "possible" opening of the big is being made in the hopes that one or more of the bidders just back out. It's worked with the Cosmos, who said they would start looking at other sites at the end of the year and give up on Belmont. I don't know if they need one or all of the bidders to back out of the bid, because it seems like that is what they are hoping/waiting for with this delay, instead of cancelling it outright, which I think they might not be able to do legally. I can't believe there aren't time frame agreements with these kind of proposals, especially when organizations have huge amounts of money they want to invest, delays can change the dynamics of everything!

In any case, it has become crystal clear Cuomo doesn't want the Cosmos in Belmont and it is time to move on. Welcome to Brooklyn!

20. Jossed

Jossed Member+

Apr 23, 2011
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    The whole entire point of Belmont was to avoid anything to do with NYC. If they had any chance to build something in NYC, do you think they would have been dragged around like a dog on a chain for three long years? Getting anything done in NYC is next to impossible.

Welcome to Hofstra until they finally pull the plug!

jaykoz3 repped this.
  21. jspech

jspech Member

Dec 12, 2013
    No it wasn't. The Belmont site was selected because it is zoned for sports & entertainment. Meaning they could build "as of right". Learn how developers get to build, learn about zoning laws before giving an opinion.

22. BuckheadRyan

BuckheadRyan New Member

Sep 13, 2013
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Brooklyn seems like a pipe dream, why not start looking at Westchester and Yonkers?

23. jspech

jspech Member

Dec 12, 2013
    You are certainly not being serious?

24. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 Member+

Jan 11, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States