Cosmos attempted rebirth tracking thread

Discussion in 'MLS: News & Analysis' started by SonicDeathMonkey, Oct 25, 2011.

1. athletics68

athletics68 Member+

Dec 12, 2006
    San Diego & San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yep. No easy public transit access in NY is a non-starter. This is nothing but more PR smokescreen from a group flailing about now that they realize they're never getting an MLS team.

2. athletics68

athletics68 Member+

Dec 12, 2006
    San Diego & San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No. So answer the question. How are Toronto and Montreal deluded?

3. Zoidberg

Zoidberg Member+

Jun 23, 2006
    I could design one just as good and put it here. It's amazing how top notch u can go when u know there is zero chance in hell of it actually happening. When u play fantasy u should go all the way.

If I were them I would have added helicopter pads.

tehlazerviking repped this.
  4. The Devil's Architect

Feb 10, 2000
    The American Steppe
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I give it a B- You might as well scour tumblr for "futuristic architecture" and find more things that have a chance of being built.

(Mod Note: Questionable image removed)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. The Devil's Architect

Feb 10, 2000
    The American Steppe
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And not parking for flying cars? That's horse and buggy thinking...

[​IMG]

Bill Archer and Zoidberg repped this.
  6. Zoidberg

Zoidberg Member+

Jun 23, 2006

All u need to add is Bender, Frye, Leela, Zap Brannigan, Hermes, Scruffy, Amyu and myself with Cosmos shirts on.

Now that would make it more realistic.

BrodieQPR and (TxT) repped this.
  7. Yoshou

Yoshou Fan of the CCL Champ

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think you can build a pretty strong case for Montreal being deluded considering Saputo was saying that his D2 club was already strong enough to succeed in MLS.. Never mind that he completely blew up his D2 club and pretty much started over when he got in MLS, but deluded and Saputo have long occupied the same sentence.

Unak78 repped this.
  8. Nidal Baba Superstar

Sep 20, 2006
    Far away
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I hear that Cantona is going to build the new stadium by hand.

Bill Archer, SYoshonis and ji_shuheng repped this.
  9. Namrog The Just

Namrog The Just Member+

L.A. Galaxy
    United States
    Jul 2, 2007
    Baltimore County, Maryland
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think it's brilliant. The Cosmos are obviously going to take over the NASL, rebrand it as the NACL (North American Cosmos League), and recreate the Cosmos brand in every city they bring into the league, thereby burying MLS. Eventually we'll get to see not just the NY Cosmos, but the Chicago Cosmos, the Los Angeles Cosmos, the Atlanta Cosmos, the Baltimore Cosmos, the Chicago Cosmos, the Minneapolis Cosmos, etc. It's going to be wicked awesome.

redinthemorning, Bill Archer and nick p repped this.
  10. athletics68

athletics68 Member+

Dec 12, 2006
    San Diego & San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not seeing how that is deluded. His statement about his D2 side being strong enough to compete in MLS and the fact ALL incoming MLS sides have to go through an expansion draft are not mutually exclusive.

11. Jahinho_Guerro

Apr 17, 2009
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Crack is Whack, but Naive will sh*t on your mouth.

All I'm saying is don't be blind to the whats going on in NA in terms of Soccer.
    The attention its getting, the stadiums being built, the NEW ERA of fans sport culture. Everyone has played it, or plays it, and it will continue to grow, however, the onus is not just solely on the MLS, and that's where the NASL comes in.
    Capitalizing on the markets where MLS can't cover

12. Zoidberg

Zoidberg Member+

Jun 23, 2006

Think it's cute u used the word naive.

Fot a guy who has watched it all, and been involved in it all for over 45 years now, naive is the nicest thing that can be said about u right about now.

Psst...sayin stuff on the Internet and making press releases means nothing.

Only naive people believe that. Especially ones who show how naive they are with each post they make.

Go ahead...keep making my case for me.

13. Yoshou

Yoshou Fan of the CCL Champ

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That wasn't what he was saying. Saputo thought that his D2 side (plus a few high priced internationals) would be able to dominate in MLS. There was no mention of augmenting his team with MLS players from the expansion draft.

14. Jahinho_Guerro

Apr 17, 2009
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Because this is a discussion, I'll keep it a debate.

Since in your 45 years of watching it all (Way Longer than myself).by each decade, you should be able to illustrate to me, the milestones in which North America has taken considerable strides to the OVERALL growth of the game?

Because to my understanding the past decade has made prolific strides in advancing the game.

....and you can't state nothing, and then say "keep making my case for me".

15. The Devil's Architect

Feb 10, 2000
    The American Steppe
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Let us know when it gets started.

16. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I think I have seen this put down before.

I think it was a fan of liga MX talking shit about MLS.

funny how things can sound familiar.

17. Etienne_72772

Etienne_72772 Member+

Oct 14, 1999
    What does this even mean???

What does this say about me that this is how I originally read this sentence?

And I am all for a D2 to cover markets that MLS can't cover. But it seems that MLS has been doing a pretty good job covering NYC. (And don't argue that this faerie tale that Cosmos is spinning is indicative that MLS is not properly covering NYC. This is a fantasy, pure and simple. I do not believe it has ANY chance of coming true).

18. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

NYC is a huge market, they could have multiple teams there in many levels of the pyramid, the Cosmos crazy grandiose ideas may not be the right combination, but there is room for a NASL NYC team there.

19. Zxcv

Zxcv Member+

Feb 22, 2012
    Sure, except that this concept isn't being designed with NASL in mind. This seems to be a final shot at trying to make MLS in 2016 or thereabouts. What I don't fully understand is why they're trying to antagonize the efforts MLS are making in Flushing. The only thing that makes sense is that they feel MLS will have their hands tied behind their backs if Flushing falls through.

I doubt we'll hear anything else about this project until Flushing is resolved.

20. OleGunnar20

OleGunnar20 Member+

Dec 7, 2009
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    this isn't going to happen. this is PR nonsense and more f.cosmos magic unicorns.

A. it is a PROPOSAL only ... a couple of renderings and a glossy brochure.
    B. OTHER groups have submitted proposals

who do you think Nassau Co and whoever is developing Belmont Track are going to pick ... something lucrative like housing or retail OR some completely ludicrous 25K stadium for a D2 team that is long on delusions and short on deliverables? oh, in a location most of NYC can't get to easily.

MLS has kicked this Cosmos ownership/circus to the curb. they are moving ahead with their own stadium plans actually in NYC and they are going to give the expansion franchise to somebody else and the Cosmos are simply trying to fight some of that momentum with big talk and bluster.

early on Cosmos went from "we want to be in MLS" to "MLS might be too small for the super Cosmos, we don't want to lose our branding control and our international TV rights and we want our own players, so MLS is too small time for us .. our idea is to be part of some non-existant global world league or to make NASL so super duper it is better than MLS (ignoring the fact MLS is owned and run by the biggest and richest people in NA soccer and would crush any Cosmos attempt to actually do this taking out the NASL as collateral damage if necessary, something NASL probably isn't interested in happening .. they seem content as D2 and probably don't want Cosmos poking the MLS bear.)

21. carnifex2005

carnifex2005 Member+

Jul 1, 2008
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    That's bullshit to the domination quote. He wanted to get his D2 side with internationals a year ahead of when he got in because he didn't want to wait around in a lame duck NASL season in 2011. He thought the team would be as competive as a normal expansion side, so why not let them in early? That was his argument. Besides, Saputo been in the soccer business longer than the MLS has been active. I'd take his judgement over some Big Soccer "experts".

22. ji_shuheng

ji_shuheng Member+

Mar 26, 2003
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    like just outside new york?

reminds me of trump destroying the usfl because he wanted an nfl team in nyc but didn't want to spend the money for an expansion team or to buy the jets/giants.

theoretically they could spend a bajillion dollars in player salary, make it to the CCL through USOC and onto the CWC from there, but even if i still don't see great players willing to play in a league with no real opposition.

it sounds like they're being obnoxious in the hopes that MLS will pay them to stop. but the only thing they'll accept as payment is entry to MLS, where they'll continue to be obnoxious in other ways, assuming they can even remotely handle the day-to-day of running a team.

but hell, this is the closest thing i can find to a roster on their website. do they even have players? or they gonna run out 11 directors and vice presidents on opening day?

23. MiWilson

MiWilson Member

Oct 17, 2011
    Pennsylvania
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    no

24. The Devil's Architect

Feb 10, 2000
    The American Steppe
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't think you know too much about those places.

25. The Devil's Architect

Feb 10, 2000
    The American Steppe
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Circa 2000, that was justified, and still is to a degree. That being said, soccer is very popular in Mexico and Mexican soccer is very popular in the US. Minor League soccer in the US is, by and large, a joke. It says it reinvents itself every decade or so, but really it just starts from zero again and again because even though soccer has vastly grown in popularity over the past 16 years, in it's minor leagues, it's run largely by small timers for smatterings of fans that can't recruit members of their own family to go to games with them.

Editor In Chimp repped this.