Cosmos and the role of FCNY??

Discussion in 'F.C. New York' started by PCFC, Dec 22, 2009.

1. Redknapp11

Redknapp11 New Member

Jan 1, 2001
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Russia
    I have no clue who is involved with the ongoing's in terms of former players. I've heard a couple of rumours but they aren't anything more then what has been discussed here don't forget even Pele himself was involved with the Ironmen and looked what happened to them.

The internet and especially this barn is full of armchair quaterback's, people with "inside info" or a "source" and I'm no different, I don't proclaim to have a seen a written document in ink about the topic but from what I was told I feel good enough to mention it on here and put my neck out a little. The MLS world is nuts, Miami-SJ loser gets folded, RB coming into play, player rules...it's all on a whim if you ask me.

2. Redknapp11

Redknapp11 New Member

Jan 1, 2001
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Russia
    In all seriousness this whole FCNY deal really has me thinking that one day someone is going to find this on their website.

[​IMG]

3. evan eleven

evan eleven Member

Jun 4, 2009
    California
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Comeon thinkaboutit for a minnit why would Cosmos buy out RedBull? RedBull has spent millions and millions on their NY soccer project, they've built the stadium, supposedly they're about to 'splash the cash' for Thierry Henry. if they sold at this point they'd be selling at a loss, there's no way they would do that. i know folks hate RedBull but they've done nothing to suggest they're not in this for the long haul.

and as for the Cosmos, if they were to buy out RedBull it would be more expensive than to just pay the entrance fee of $40 mil or whatever. Paul Kemsley has bought the Cosmos brand, he's going to build it up to profitability gradually, probably starting with merchandise and exhibition games and stuff, and then pay to enter MLS once the Cosmos brand has been reestablished. the Cosmos will be back, but they won't be in MLS until 2012 at the soonest.

and FC New York was an April Fools joke all along, forgetaboutit already.

4. Redknapp11

Redknapp11 New Member

Jan 1, 2001
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Russia
    RB may sell but not everything.

RB is owner of the stadium, minority owner of the team and the Cosmos folks take on the larger role of daily operations and what not. Cosmos kit with the toro's on the front as a sponsor.

5. wandering soccerdog

Mar 29, 2003
    Again, you sound pretty confident in your information.

Is this happening in 2010 or 2011?

It would seem stupid to launch the stadium as the Red Bulls, only to re-launch a year later as the Cosmos.

Wouldn't it be smart to open the stadium -- with all of the publicity that will go along with that opening -- as the brand that will continue into the future?

Without compromising your relationship with your source, what more can you tell us?

6. NYC_COSMOS

NYC_COSMOS BigSoccer Supporter

Jan 13, 2007
    Queens, NY
    Club:
    CA Vélez Sársfield
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    This is making me gag at the moment. Ruining the Cosmos image by being associated with the Drink is just OUTRIGHT REPULSIVE.

7. GIO17

GIO17 Member

Nov 29, 1998
    But it would be just like a real football jersey wouldn't it.

8. wandering soccerdog

Mar 29, 2003
    I have a different take.

To me, that is an acceptable compromise. And in the modern era, just about all clubs around the world have a shirt sponsor (which was not the case thirty years ago).

If it isn't "Red Bull" on the Cosmos' jersey, it will be something else (Fedex, UPS, Tampax).

If the price of cheap rent (or some type of partial minority ownership deal for the Red Bull company) at Red Bull Arena is the Red Bull logo on a Cosmos kit, I'm all for it.

No problem by me.

9. NYC_COSMOS

NYC_COSMOS BigSoccer Supporter

Jan 13, 2007
    Queens, NY
    Club:
    CA Vélez Sársfield
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    I don't have a problem with a shirt sponsor just not RB, unless they make it much smaller than the current design.

10. wandering soccerdog

Mar 29, 2003
    That's a little silly, don't you think?

That's like saying, "I like Manchester United with the AIG logo as their sponsor, but I won't like them when they switch to Aon Corporation next year."

Who cares who the shirt sponsor is?

Especially when you consider that having "Red Bull" as a partial owner and shirt sponsor may mean a sweetheart deal at the new stadium.

Let's say Red Bull retains -- I'm pulling this number out of the air -- a 25% ownership stake in the club. And in exchange for that, Paul Kemsley's Cosmos have no stadium rent payments. And then maybe they set up a deal where the Red Bull company gets all the parking revenue and food revenue, but Kemsley's group gets all profits from ticket sales and memorabilia sales. Or something like that.

The Red Bull logo on the Cosmos shirt would be a small price to pay.

11. onlyonefootball_com

Sep 22, 2008
    Allentown, PA
    Club:
    Sligo Rovers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree with this. This would be a good scenario and a step in the right direction. Even so, I'd still like to see an NYC team though, maybe after a few years Wilpon could get the Metrostars name and start an expansion team in Queens. Would fit in nicely with the Mets, and he could give them the same colors.

12. GIO17

GIO17 Member

Nov 29, 1998
    Don't you know by now that Wilpon is still trying to extort money from Mets fans due to the Madoff scandal. Stop looking over to Queens and the Wilpons as a savior. They got fooled by Madoff & lost all that money they invested with him.

13. Jaydawgg22

Jaydawgg22 Member

Jun 26, 2007
    Astoria Queens NYC
    Club:
    Blackburn Rovers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Why are these guys still playing the game is already over, 4 in a row diagonally?

14. Jaydawgg22

Jaydawgg22 Member

Jun 26, 2007
    Astoria Queens NYC
    Club:
    Blackburn Rovers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'll believe that RBNY will change its name when they stop buying soccer teams around the world. It just doesn't make sense to rebrand now, after you have already isolated fans that now detest the Red Bull image.

If the cosmos come back its either a stadium share or a new stadium.

15. metros11

metros11 Member

Sep 11, 1999
    Highlands of NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Actually there was a report a few months ago that stated that Wilpon actually made money off Madoff.

16. GIO17

GIO17 Member

Nov 29, 1998
    Is there a link to this report? I would like to see it. But still the Wilpons are a bunch of shmucks. Anyways it's a guy who is probably a Wilpon supporter who is trying to give them some good press with all the mistakes they have done with the Mets.

17. Redknapp11

Redknapp11 New Member

Jan 1, 2001
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Russia
    They lost serious money, nothing good came out of his situation with Madoff.

I agree the Wilpon's aren't the sharpest knives in the kitchen... I see the father and the son rather frequently during their trips down to the land of Spring Training... while they don't speak much myself when I am in contact with them, the times I do get a few words in I am always left with a money can't buy your brains feeling.

18. RBNYSupporter4Life

Nov 26, 2009
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=4581715

The Mets invested $522.8mil and got back $570.6mil.

19. RBNYSupporter4Life

Nov 26, 2009
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=4581715

20. GIO17

GIO17 Member

Nov 29, 1998
  21. Jaydawgg22

Jaydawgg22 Member

Jun 26, 2007
    Astoria Queens NYC
    Club:
    Blackburn Rovers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I never fully understood if the wilpons invested side money not under the mets' name. I knew the mets made money but it isn't out of the question that the wilpons lost personal money that wasn't invested as part of the teams' assests.

22. ckh1

ckh1 New Member

Jul 19, 2009
    Dubai
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Denmark
    FCNY better hurry up and get ready!
    Garber wants another NY team after Montreal!
    FCNY as the 20th team in MLS???....AWESOME!