Cosmos and the role of FCNY??

Discussion in 'F.C. New York' started by PCFC, Dec 22, 2009.

1. PCFC

PCFC Member

May 13, 2007
    NYC
    Club:
    Newry City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    With the rumors heating up of a New York Cosmos return in the MLS expansion boards, I was wondering what the role of FC New York will be if a 2nd NY team in the City (assuming they are in the City) materializes in a higher league.

Will the Cosmos overshadow every aspect of this movement? Will this eventually turn into LI Rough Riders catering to the LI market?

2. GIO17

GIO17 Member

Nov 29, 1998
    Those rumors are bogus. The only thing the Cosmos will return in any form is a sideshow. Some englishman bought the naming rights from Pepe Pinton so he can bring the name back to perform a summer tour and pick certain players from top clubs and name them the Cosmos for money.

FC NY is dead, Cosmos legit return is bogus. Stop hurting yourself will all this crap.

3. Jaydawgg22

Jaydawgg22 Member

Jun 26, 2007
    Astoria Queens NYC
    Club:
    Blackburn Rovers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    GIO, so you pick and choose what to believe, you believe british tabliods, and ignore Shepp when he says the tabloids got it wrong. Interesting.

However FCNY seems like it was never alive...

4. Ed NYC Firm

Ed NYC Firm Member

May 14, 2000
    NY
    Club:
    Dundee FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    Why do you care? You aren't planning on switching from Energy Drink FC so your input is meaningless.

5. PCFC

PCFC Member

May 13, 2007
    NYC
    Club:
    Newry City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    From Greg Lalas' podcast and Shep Messing's mouth (30 or so mins in)

There's a little reputation there

6. metros11

metros11 Member

Sep 11, 1999
    Highlands of NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So somehow of all people Shep Messing knows what no one else knows or is willing to report on? And exactly what kind of reputation does Shep have? What other 'news' has he broken? Listen, if this came from Goff or Ives it might provide some validity. Coming from Shep without another source to confirm the story this is pure speculation. It's as solid as the rumors of the Cosmos being the Harlem Globetrotters of soccer. But if anything it's certainly what you want to hear as it provides another source of hope for you guys to hang onto. Napoli will start posting about NYC 2012 and others will tell us how Cosmos will reinvent MLS. Personally I'd like nothing better then to see the Cosmos return. Regardless if they play in NASL, ground share at RBA, or preferably buy out Red Bull altogether. But that's just not going to happen.

7. PCFC

PCFC Member

May 13, 2007
    NYC
    Club:
    Newry City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A former Cosmos player with a presence in both NYC soccer and MLS. Does that guarantee that what he says is the truth? No. But is it completely unfathomable that he might just know more than everyone else...much less...than you and me?

He has a reputation within RB commentary, MLS Primetime analysis, and ESPN analysis. Unless he completely wants to destroy his news-breaking reputation, generally people don't want to say things without merit.

8. metros11

metros11 Member

Sep 11, 1999
    Highlands of NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And that's precisely why he didn't say anything outside of it being 'spectacular'.

9. PCFC

PCFC Member

May 13, 2007
    NYC
    Club:
    Newry City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, that's all that matters to me.

10. Jaydawgg22

Jaydawgg22 Member

Jun 26, 2007
    Astoria Queens NYC
    Club:
    Blackburn Rovers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Both sides are just going to hear what they want to hear. I personally don't think Shepp is just flat out lying, and because I don't think he is lying I think he must of talked to someone, are these people he talked to the same people that the Borough Boys talked to about a possible stadium in NYC? I don't know I can only speculate. So really if we agree that Shepp isn't just making things up, then the only way to judge how serious these rumors are is to figure out how serious the people involved are. As of now we don't know if they are Wilpon serious, or FCNY serious.

11. GIO17

GIO17 Member

Nov 29, 1998
    Let me put it too all of you in a way you can understand where I am coming from. When all these rumors started since 1998 about the return or wanting a return of the Cosmos, I was all for it. I was waiting to see the name MetroStars change full time to NY Cosmos.

I also knew the man who owned the right to the Cosmos name in Pepe Pinton who was the head coach of Ramapo College's Men's soccer team back in 1997 thru 1999. Every single rumor I heard never came true, because I knew Pepe wasn't going to hand it over on the cheap. Either as a second club in NYC or renaming the Metro as Cosmos was fine.

No matter what rumors were coming out nothing happened. Do I believe in Shep Messing's reporting? Yes I do because I just heard the podcast. But here is the thing right now. I pray that he isn't being taken for a ride. I pray that he isn't being used because that name is too precious and too historic for getting all our hopes up again.

If it's finally true, congrats to those of you that want them to come. I have given up on the return of the Cosmos with all the false hopes & false promises. Yes I read the story from JACK BELL! Who is Jack Bell why an American reporter from the NY Times. I don't think he's from England.

This club that is now Energy Drink FC was & is our club MetroStars. I look at the media guide and I see stats since 1996. I see the names of Giovanni Savarese, Tony Meola, Tab Ramos, Roberto Donadoni, Clint Mathis, Adolpho Valencia and so on.

I wanted this to happen, I really did. But guess what I've had enough and I don't care anymore. Anything Cosmos rumors is now tainted. It means nothing anymore. That doesn't mean I won't watch old highlights, because I will. It doesn't mean I'm not going to applaud those players of old because I will. I hold Shep, Pele, Beckenbauer, Roth, Chinaglia and many others in the highest regard.

What have I seen from Red Bull right now managing this club. The mistakes I have seen is allowing a man who had no knowledge of managing a professional sports club in Marc deGrandpre and allowed his ego to run amuck. I saw a man in Jeff Agoos who just got started being a sporting director and once again allowed his ego to run amuck and not being on the same page with the head coach who was also ruining this club. Red Bull failed to cut both of them off early in the 1999 season because Stover begged Austria to keep them for stabillity sake when there was none to be had. Change was going to happen, but when the season ended as they saw it was too late to do anything after they got ousted from the Qualifying round of the CONCACAF Champions League.

Those are the problems that I have seen Red Bull do that I'm not happy with. But here is the real question, how many times are we going to hold on to false rumors & false promises. I've had enough of these Cosmos rumors. If this one comes true, like I said good luck to all of you that believes it because I'm done with it.

I was also ready for FC NY to come because I was curious to see what they would be like, but sadly it's a false promise as well. They tried to talk the talk, but sadly they failed to get out of their house and start building a club.

To NYC Cosmos I do believe you that you saw the tryouts for FC NY, but I'm sorry to say that if these people can't update their F'en website since April fools day of this year, then I have to say they are dead. They wasted all of our time and energy with that press conference to announce their birth.
    http://www.newyorkusl2010.com/

Everyday I click a link that leads to a webcam and I see seats in a lower bowl of a football/soccer stadium. It's in Harrison, NJ near a PATH Train Station and we can also use NJ Transit to get to Newark then transfer to the PATH or cross the bridge. I can finally say that this will be the new home of a club that has been in existance since 1996 with a name change in 2006.

This is what's been infront of my eyes since I got back into the sport due to the 1994 World Cup. I'm sick of the false rumors, false stories, basically false promises on the return of the Cosmos. And even if they do return, where are they going to play? Tell me what stadium are they going to play in. This isn't a Tex Avery cartoon where you bury a seed in the ground, pour water over it and then it automatically sprouts a Stadium.

That's the reality folks. I am done with this. Had enough. Have fun & congrats if it does become a reality but if you guys and Shep have been taken for a ride again, all I can say is you've been fooled again.

12. GIO17

GIO17 Member

Nov 29, 1998
    All you can do is speculate. In other words, YOU DON'T KNOW WHAT'S REALLY GOING ON DO YOU! It's easy for you to point the finger of blame at me because I have been reading reports from our regular writers that concentrate on the game here. Yes Shep Messing is also respected and I do listen to him. But once again I'm not killing the messenger, I don't believe in the man that gave Shep the information.

Let's revisit the FC New York Press Conference once again shall we? These people decided to give USL $750,000 for an operating fee to play in 2010 USL-1st Division. They had a big party at the NY Athletic Club starting up for this coming season. Michael Lewis, Ives Galarcep, Brian Lewis all reported this on their sites and papers, but since that press conference and their website advertising on April Fools Day of 2009 nothing has happened.

Since then there has been a tryout that was seen by NYC Cosmos, no news of hiring a head coach, and basically there has been no news at all of what's going on with them.

Now Shep Messing is reporting on a podcast with his fool of a sidekick (Yes he is a Lalas) that someone told him the Cosmos is making a comeback. How many times have we heard this and not just from Shep, but from other profesional writers that have written on this topic so many times. Nothing has happened. Nothing at all. Why should this be any different than the many other times the same story of the Cosmos making a comeback & it's over after nothing happens.

For your sake, Shep's sake & those that want the Cosmos to honestly make a return, this new rumor does come true. But if it doesn't then just put it into the bin of false hopes and false promises on the revival of the Cosmos.

13. Wile Coyote

Wile Coyote Red Card

Sep 21, 2000
    Punta del Este, Uru.
    Club:
    Club Nacional de Football
    danimal...

i rather be fooled again than to support a energy drink named side show.....

until NYC gets a team that will have a proper club image and not the name or image of a revolting energy drink product... I will simply root for DC United.....nyc will get a club side some day then mls will finally have its flagship club to go with LA then watch how you become totaly ignored just a energy drink team to make up the numbers in the league....

FACT a cosmos team or any team with a proper club image will attract more people than your drink themed freak show based on name and identity alone........

i can only hope that the drink continues to fail and the stadium in harrison is not enough of a reason to get any one to support that which in name alone is UNSUPPORTABLE.....

after your 3rd game at the stadium your drink will return to being ignored by the media and every one in general except a few misguided souls who back the drink for what ever stupid reason....

14. GIO17

GIO17 Member

Nov 29, 1998
    I understand where you are coming from my friend. But like I said, this is the club I support. I'm not getting in your way, or anyone else. I hope for you that this Cosmos rumor is true.

15. MasterShake29

MasterShake29 Member+

Oct 28, 2001
    Jersey City, NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think it's awesome that a Red Bull employee/contractor (however announcers are hired by MSG/RB) is pulling the NYC2 crowd along. I think it's awesome.

16. GIO17

GIO17 Member

Nov 29, 1998
    Getting their hopes up? Well, let's see what happens in these coming months if that rumor does come true. But I will say this. Shep & his friend Greg Lalas are pretty good on the MLS Extratime show, but this podcast I'm not going to take it seriously.

17. Redknapp11

Redknapp11 New Member

Jan 1, 2001
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Russia
    *Shep has zero to gain by mentioning this and he's gone on record about player deals in the past that usually did pan out

*He's a player agent as well and is very much in touch with the current on going's of RB and MLS

*Cosmos are coming back and they will buy out RB. RB wanted the stadium and not so much the team, this up and coming deal will see the Cosmos play inside RB Arena.

*FCNY recent ad's across the boroughs pretty much sums up the efforts and also adds to why RB got into this game. RB's portfolio show's it's not just about the drink and extreme events, they just bought land and built a stadium in one of the most saught after area's of the world. Still like those FCNY advertisements though, it's catchy....
    [​IMG]

18. GIO17

GIO17 Member

Nov 29, 1998
    Then why hire Soler to become the Sporting Director? Honestly if four years ago Kemsley bought the rights to the Metro and talked to Pinton about the Cosmos name with all of his money then I would agree with you.

Right now all we have is a rumor. Everyone can say that if it comes from Shep Messing's mouth it must be true. But at the same time Shep can be used as a messenger for information that has failed as well. So like I have said, I'm not shooting the messenger. I am shooting the person who wrote the Message.

19. Jaydawgg22

Jaydawgg22 Member

Jun 26, 2007
    Astoria Queens NYC
    Club:
    Blackburn Rovers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If Red Bull just wants the stadium why ever change the name of the club at all? and why poor so much money into a stadium that a team would have the opportunity to leave. Assuming red bull sold the team, but retained the grounds, then the metro club would be in a renting situation rather than the revenue controlled one that they wanted all along.

I don't think the Cosmos would be a rebranding of the Red Bull it doesn't fall in line with how RB has managed its teams in Austria, Brazil, and Germany. Clearly by the fact that they have 4* soccer teams named after the drink (*the german team is called RB cause rules prohibit the Red Bull name) as well as a hockey team an F1 team and extreme sports teams all named after the drink, the name is an important part of the buying and running these teams.

20. Jaydawgg22

Jaydawgg22 Member

Jun 26, 2007
    Astoria Queens NYC
    Club:
    Blackburn Rovers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What adds are you talking about, or was that a crack is whack joke?

21. wandering soccerdog

Mar 29, 2003
    Regarding your third point, do you know something that we don't. Or are you just speculating?

22. Redknapp11

Redknapp11 New Member

Jan 1, 2001
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Russia
    President of media relations told me about it ---

[​IMG]

23. Redknapp11

Redknapp11 New Member

Jan 1, 2001
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Russia
    Trust me on this one... bookmark it or save screen.

If RB doesn't become the Cosmos then you'll see the Cosmos playing inside RB similar to how the Goats and Galaxy exsist.

I won't kiss and tell and ruin my friendship with the person(s) who tells me what's going on in with the NYC scene but the above will come about sooner then later. I've been wrong before and will be wrong again but I'd put my own money on the fact that the Cosmos will be back and at this moment are looking to be the new face of RB.

24. wandering soccerdog

Mar 29, 2003
    Okay, you seem very confident. And certainly, "Cosmos" becoming the new face of the Red Bulls (and playing in Red Bull Arena) would be my preference (rather than a touring team or MLS team based in Queens).

So, without ruining your friendship with the person(s) you know, what else can you divulge?

If the Cosmos will be an expansion club, in what year will they begin play?

If the Cosmos will be a re-branding of the current Red Bulls team, will this re-branding happen for the 2010 season or for 2011?

It would seem a ripe opportunity to re-brand heading into the new stadium, rather than starting off in the new stadium as the Red Bulls and then re-branding a year later to Cosmos.

Will Pepe Pinton still be involved?

Will Pele be involved?

Will Shep Messing be involved?

Whatever you can share, please share.

25. wandering soccerdog

Mar 29, 2003
    And furthermore....

Will the Red Bull corporation be involved?

In other words, will Red Bull still own the team? Or will they just own the stadium?