Cosmos Academy?

Discussion in 'New York Cosmos' started by BuckheadRyan, Apr 15, 2014.

1. QuakesForever

QuakesForever Member

Mar 15, 2014
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hopefully the academy is in USSDA. That's the top tier academy league in US Soccer. Would be fun for the boys to go up against MLS academies. Especially RBNY.

2. nanoGVSP

nanoGVSP Member+

Jan 31, 2012
    New york
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    Yup, I wonder how that works, how does an academy get to be part of USSDA. As far as I know there are three in the area. BW Gotchee, Met Oval, and Albertson. The first is in BK most fields, the oval is in Queens, and Albertson is in the north shore of Nassau county. Met Oval is the only one to own it's field within the 5 boroughs.

3. QuakesForever

QuakesForever Member

Mar 15, 2014
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You have to apply with US Soccer. I'm sure a club like the NY Cosmos will match all the criteria and be eligible.
    https://ussoccer.app.box.com/s/cncvklem30o2qsfyuflq/1/1082271754/9764913344/1

4. nanoGVSP

nanoGVSP Member+

Jan 31, 2012
    New york
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    I would think the goal is to have the academy be part of the top tear in the US, probably not in the first couple of years but in time. They got their work cut out.

QuakesForever repped this.
  5. nanoGVSP

nanoGVSP Member+

Jan 31, 2012
    New york
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
  6. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  7. nanoGVSP

nanoGVSP Member+

Jan 31, 2012
    New york
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    I've seen his introduction video and he speaks well, heavy accent but he gets his point across. I'm not sure how much he will work directly with the academy kids, I guess in time he's language skills will improve.( kids will understand )

brentgoulet repped this.
  8. jaykoz3

jaykoz3 Member+

Dec 25, 2010
    Conshohocken, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He was interviewed yesterday on ESPN FC. He speaks fairly good English. Interview mainly covered his favorite moments of his career, what he thought of this years Real Madrid squad, and who he thought would win the UCL.

brentgoulet repped this.
  9. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I liked how he kept referring to himself in third person. :)

10. Roger Allaway

Roger Allaway Member+

Apr 22, 2009
    Warminster, Pa.
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hoping to remind people of Chinaglia?

Sam U El repped this.
  11. nanoGVSP

nanoGVSP Member+

Jan 31, 2012
    New york
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
  12. oneeyedfool

oneeyedfool Member+

Nov 17, 2012
    Club:
    New York Cosmos
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  13. nanoGVSP

nanoGVSP Member+

Jan 31, 2012
    New york
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    Well it's only the beginning, they could add more clubs from different areas as time goes. I would like to know how they plan on seeing this kids. I like the system that NYCFC has started. They have all their affiliated clubs play in a league against each other, then they make Tournaments where they asses the players, that will start this September I'm told. The Cosmos should look to do something similar to be able to get a look at all the kids.

oneeyedfool and brentgoulet repped this.
  14. Bookmesir

Bookmesir Member

Oct 14, 2012
    Club:
    FC Aarau
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

BW Gottschee has been around since the 1950's. Before Nike dropped a million+$ on the Met Oval in the late 1990's, it was a mecca of old school soccer on the Brooklyn/Queens line. BW have Gottscheer coaches on board, and a track record of success, with a solid love for developing players from within. After the Nike investment, the Oval, and BWG became something else entirely with a marked emphasis on the youth game versus adult league play. The ethnic diversity of BW's home turf in Maspeth/Ridgewood is wide ranging, though still with a strong central European immigrant base (Gottschee was located in land disputed between Germany and what was Yugoslavia {now Slovenia} at the time of the mass migration to NYC in the '50's). Whether they are pay to play or not, they still have a history of raising players from their own enclave through the youth ranks. The fact that they've been around longer than most speaks to their strong tradition, while their continued ability to compete at the higher youth levels in the US speaks to a successful process in place for players to develop their game.

FootySkeptic and brentgoulet repped this.
  15. nanoGVSP

nanoGVSP Member+

Jan 31, 2012
    New york
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    I took a coach licensing class not too long ago, to my surprise we had Jon Fitzgerald teaching the class. He kept the everyone engaged, made it interesting. One thing he did mentione was that the Cosmos are moving forward with the academy, he said they had brought in someone from Brazil, with experience leading some of the biggest academies there. This guy will be working with John in the coming months to stablish the Academy. I don't think he was trying to plug the Cosmos, this class was part of the series offered by the NSCAA. hope it works out well, because it seems unlikely that Raul will be involved at this point.

16. oneeyedfool

oneeyedfool Member+

Nov 17, 2012
    Club:
    New York Cosmos
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We are probably better off with experts on academies running out academy with Raul having an honorary/limited role where he comes by and teaches the kids several times a year when scheduling makes sense.

17. nanoGVSP

nanoGVSP Member+

Jan 31, 2012
    New york
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    Agreed, having someone who has done it before helps, and keeping Raul involved and n some way gives the academy a boost just because of his name. Yesterday Gio took some questions on Reddit, he said they hope to start play next year with U11, U 12' and U 13 teams.
    http://www.nycosmos.com/news/2015/12/11/cosmosama-recap-giovanni-savarese

18. nanoGVSP

nanoGVSP Member+

Jan 31, 2012
    New york
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    Sam U El repped this.
  19. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 Member+

Jan 11, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    brentgoulet and FootySkeptic repped this.
  20. Sam U El

Sam U El Moderator
    Staff Member

May 31, 2013
    Seoul Korea
    Club:
    New York Cosmos
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Cosmos Cleared as U.S. Development Academy for U-13s, U-14s, Announce First Signings

After being named as Assistant Youth Director in February, Ronan Wiseman has now been appointed as the club’s Youth Development Director.

To coincide with the latest academy development, the club has also announced 11-year-old Simon Adjakple and 12-year-old Aidan Pericic as its first ever academy signings. Both players were recruited from Cosmos Academy Affiliate Program member Auburndale SC in Queens.

“I’m delighted to welcome Aidan and Simon to the Academy,” Wiseman said. “Over the last few months we’ve been running a number of Academy identification centers in the New York area, searching for talented young players with the right mentality.”

http://www.empireofsoccer.com/cosmo...or-u-13s-u-14s-announce-first-signings-47723/

nanoGVSP repped this.
  21. nanoGVSP

nanoGVSP Member+

Jan 31, 2012
    New york
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    http://sbisoccer.com/2016/05/cosmos-academy-vision-taking-shape-with-approval-from-u-s-soccer
    Another article about our academy coming together and the plans for it's growth.
    This article does sound a bit like a commercial, if the Cosmos have such a vision for the academy it will help the club immensely. However an academy will take a very long time to produce first team caliber players, let alone national team level. All they need to do is work hard and not worry about results, they will come as a byproduct of good player development.

22. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 Member+

Jan 11, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    NEW YORK COSMOS ACADEMY IS RECRUITING
    Soccer players born in 2002, 2003 and 2004/5 can register for the chance to be invited to an Academy try out
    The New York Cosmos announced today that the club is opening registration for young soccer players who want to try out for the club’s US Soccer Development Academy teams.
    Prospective players must register with details about their playing experience. The Cosmos will select players from the submitted applications to participate in an invite only tryout which will take place over the months of June and July. No exceptions or walk up applications will be accepted.
    “Our intention with the Academy is to source local talent and give these players a pathway to professional soccer,” commented New York Cosmos Head Coach, Giovanni Savarese. “These tryouts will help us find talented young players from all different backgrounds of youth soccer in the Tristate area,” he added.
    The New York Cosmos Academy aims to advance players’ skills as well as exposing them to a professional training environment and more competitive games.
    “We’ve held a number of Academy identification centers with our Academy Affiliate Program members and we’ve already signed our first two players,” said New York Cosmos Youth Development Director, Ronan Wiseman. “We are building a youth development program that will help young players hone their skills both on and off the pitch,” he added.
    To register for the chance to be invited for a tryout visit: http://bit.ly/1TSWPXD

23. nanoGVSP

nanoGVSP Member+

Jan 31, 2012
    New york
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia

We finally get the academy going, they started play this weekend, and were introduced to the fans during halftime at the last home game. Good to see they have a large number of kids and have been training hard, this will possitively change the local soccer landscape for the kids giving them another opportunity to develop.

Prosoccercdn repped this.
  24. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 Member+

Jan 11, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  25. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 Member+

Jan 11, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    New York Cosmos‏Verified account @NYCosmos 17m17 minutes ago
    Registration for Cosmos Academy tryouts is open now!
    We're looking for players that are born in 04, 05, 06, 07, and 08: http://nasl.io/Z8gCjCnBy