Corrales signs 3 years in Norway

Discussion in 'San Jose Earthquakes' started by swedcrip34, Nov 26, 2004.

1. swedcrip34

swedcrip34 New Member

Mar 17, 2004
  2. doppelganger

doppelganger Member

Jul 6, 2001
    santa cruz, ca
    best of luck to Ramiro and thanks for many years of service....

3. CARLOS1

CARLOS1 Member

Aug 9, 2001
    Sunnyvale, CA
    Club:
    Real Betis
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thank god. Best of luck to him

4. okcomputer

okcomputer Member

Jun 25, 2003
    dc
    I guess this team didnt catch his game for the nats. They probably would have withdrawn the offer then.

5. BlueMeanie

BlueMeanie New Member

Apr 1, 2002
    EastSIIIIDE
    Or maybe they looked at film of more than one match before making a three year commitment.

6. LeeS

LeeS Member

Mar 23, 2002
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    While I am with the crowd as far as thinking Corrales was in over his head at the international level, I am sad to see so many people think he must suck at club level, because he does not.
    While never a superstar, he is exactly the sort of player that will do reasonably well in the MLS.
    He will excel in Norway I am sure.

Lee

7. sonofapitch

sonofapitch New Member

Feb 11, 2002
    Novato, CA
    I'm sorry to see him go because, for better or worse, you knew what you had in Ramiro. I liked the experience and versatility he gave the Quakes when we really needed it. All the injuries over the past few seasons and he was right there to fill the spot. I worried a lot less with him filling those spots than I would with some others.

I don't blame him for wanting to go give Europe a try. I'm just wondering what the heck our team is going to look like, come Opening Day?

No Landon...no Ronnie...no Ramiro...no Jamil...no CBrown...quite possible no DeRo or Goos. Sure are gonna be a lot of new faces in blue this year!

8. We Were Cut

We Were Cut Member

Sep 9, 2000
    Woodland, CA
    Spot on. Hopefully, we won't feel his loss, along with the others, but unfortunately, I think we will.

9. Albany58

Albany58 Member+

Sep 14, 1999
    Concord, CA USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This may signify a good change of atmosphere and location for Ramiro that will be a step upwards.

10. alliu23

alliu23 I'm a Yank til I Die

Jul 28, 2004
    Williamsport, PA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    so my computer breaks down on Sunday.. i just get it back now (Friday) and I've missed Landon going away and Corrales going to Norway!? Darn technology. I feel like I've been in the dark ages.

11. savan

savan New Member

May 16, 2004
    Norway
    Hehe.. That's how it goes.. :) But aren't soccer big enough in america for these things to be on the news/sport?

But I think it's good for the american players to sign up with some "unfamous" leagues.. Sometimes it can really give the player alot of experience.. And alot of "second" leagues in Europe is really on the way up...!!

He signed with a good club though - Ham-Kam (short for 'Hamar Kameratene') came up from 1 division to Tippeligaen this last season, and in the end ended up on a very respectful 5th place.. One place away from a Royal Legaue ticket! (Scandinavias version of Champions League..Rosenborg is the only team from Scandinavia in CL..)

Rosenborg 26 14 6 6 52-34 48
    ----------------------------
    Vålerenga 26 13 9 4 40-22 48
    Brann 26 12 4 10 46-40 40
    Tromsø 26 12 4 10 38-32 40
    Ham-Kam 26 10 8 8 34-33 38
    Lyn 26 9 10 7 30-31 37
    Lillestrøm 26 8 11 7 45-33 35
    Odd Grenland 26 9 8 9 47-44 35
    Viking 26 7 12 7 31-33 33
    Fredrikstad 26 9 5 12 42-54 32
    Molde 26 7 10 9 34-37 31
    ------------------------------
    Bodø/Glimt 26 7 6 13 28-41 27
    ------------------------------
    Stabæk 26 7 6 13 25-40 27
    Sogndal 26 5 7 14 39-57 22

12. babytiger2001

babytiger2001 New Member

Dec 29, 2000
    Melbourne
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As long as he maintains the strengths of his game that got him the call-up to the national team and this opportunity overseas-- and that would entail his tireless work rate, his defensive skills, and being the type of player who can fit into a "team" and "teamwork" structure-- I think he'll do quite well over in Norway.

Ramiro's the type of player whom I've always endeared because he's always known his value to the Quakes as a role player, and knowing what that role is and doing whatever it has taken to get the most out of that role to the benefit of the team.

I'm sure his coaches over there will be very impressed by that quality of his overall game.

13. Albany58

Albany58 Member+

Sep 14, 1999
    Concord, CA USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    But, of course. We're absolutely inundated with information about the beautiful game over here on commercial TV. I might cite the Mark Ibanez-Gary Radnich show on station KXPU that gives us an hour a day of informed news about soccer throughout the world.

14. Hawkeye17

Hawkeye17 DynaChick v QuakeBabe v WildKate v Chewie23

Aug 25, 1999
    Miami Vice 82
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes, I will admit that I had bashed Ramiro for his performance against Jamaica, but overall this is a good move for him. He might as well take advantage and see how well he can play abroad. It's not as tough as England, Germany, Spain, Italy, and the rest but at least he can see if he can take his game to a higher level. He does offer versatility for his new club where he can play defense, move the ball up front, and occasionally take a chance at goal.

Still, all the best of luck to him. He should improve his game even more playing for his new club. It might not mean that many callups (re: Barrett in Denmark), but it will mean a chance to better his game overall and to try his luck in Europe. Cheers!

15. JazzyJ

JazzyJ BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 25, 2003
    Not sure if you're serious because the answer is a huge, undeniable "No". Something like Ramiro's move to Norway might get a passing mention in the context of another article (and during the MLS season we see maybe two Quakes articles per week in the local paper), but it wouldn't warrant it's own article. And as for mainstream TV or radio, absolutely no chance.

Thanks for the info on the Tippeligaen. If you don't mind posting an occasional update on how Ramiro's doing there, I'm sure a lot of people would be interested.

16. sacrxy

sacrxy BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 6, 2003
    As much as I am annoyed by his field goal/fly ball shots, I will miss his versatility and workrate. Best wishes to him.

17. Bajoro

Bajoro Member+

Sep 10, 2000
    The Inland Empire
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Seems to me he was misused. He always seemed lost (to me at least) on the wing, but he did very well on the rare occasions he was able to line up in the middle.

So with Ekelund gone, I thought this might be his opportunity.

Oh well.

Best of luck Ramiro!

I know Beerking and Defender will particularly miss the 10-20 family members and other supporters he brought to every match. :)

18. Quaker

Quaker Member+

FC Dallas
    Apr 19, 2000
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes, his lack of speed really hurt him out wide. Seemed much better suited to playing in the middle.

Good luck, Ramiro, and thanks for your contribution to the Quakes!

19. Defender

Defender Member

Joe's Plumbing 86ers
    Feb 16, 2001
    San Francisco CA
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i tend to agree with bajoro regarding corrales being misplayed, especially in the system the quakes have employed. playing outside, those guys need to run, penetrating from the flanks to the corners and inside. corrales worked well as a holding midfielder with mulrooney in the first playoff game against the wizards this year.

20. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Perhaps I am confused, but didn't Corrales rip it up in Game 1 versus KC Wizs in the Playoffs this year?

In any case, good luck to him.

21. Spartacus

Spartacus Member

May 20, 2001
    The NO SOCCER Zone
    Great...now we're going to have to recruit another name for me to roll my "R's" on -- in the tradition of Rrrrrrramiro Corrrrrrrrales, Rrrrrronald Cerrrrrrrritos and Archie Rrrrrrrroboostoff.

22. ThreeApples

ThreeApples Member+

Jul 28, 1999
    Smurf Village
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Eddie Rrrrrrrrrrrobinson
    Ian Rrrrrrrrrrrrussell
    Rrrrrrrrrrrrrrichard Mulrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrooney

23. JazzyJ

JazzyJ BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 25, 2003
    Tighe Dombrrrrrrrrrowski

24. Bajoro

Bajoro Member+

Sep 10, 2000
    The Inland Empire
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ba-jo--rrrrrrrrrrrro :D

25. sonofapitch

sonofapitch New Member

Feb 11, 2002
    Novato, CA
    Rrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrronaldihnooooo!

***wuh, huh?!?**** oh, sorry....must have dozed off there for a minute. I can dream, can't I?