Coronavirus Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'The Netherlands' started by Orange14, Mar 17, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Brilliant Dutch

Brilliant Dutch Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Oct 14, 2013
    Amsterdam, Holland
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    I can see how population density would increase total infections, but I dont see how it could cause excess mortality.

Please elaborate and explain what you mean

2. Sigh. Are you serious. Working in an IC and with patients on ventilators is a high skilled job that takes 18 months to learn.
    Did you take a look at the population graph?

2019: bijna 14 miljoen volwassenen, 7 miljoen 50-plussers
    In 1950 was nog minder dan een op de drie volwassenen in Nederland een 50-plusser. Naar verwachting is over vijf jaar één op de twee volwassenen 50-plus. Dan zijn 6,9 miljoen van de 13,7 miljoen volwassenen ouder dan 50 jaar.15 sep. 2014

In 2019 helft van volwassenen 50-plusser - CBS
    www.cbs.nl › nl-nl › nieuws › in-2019-helft-van-volwa...

So 7 million are 50+. How do you expect the country functioning with half of the adults in lockdown?
    In health care the age build up is heavily skewed towards the older generation, thanks to decades of gouvernment policies when spending cuts are necesary they took aim at teachers, nurses/doctors/healthcare. So inflow has been not so popular with the working population.

3. Belgium included in their numbers the deaths of elder in care homes when they suspected corona relation. Not so in Sweden or here, when you only count when you were a test confirmed case.

4. US/your approach vs EU approach. US is winning:
    [​IMG]

5. By the time the vaccin is ready the US doesnot need it anymore. People are dead (a couple of millions) or immune.

6. Brilliant Dutch

Brilliant Dutch Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Oct 14, 2013
    Amsterdam, Holland
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    That's assuming they will come up with a vaccine in the first place.

There has never been a vaccine invented for a Coronavirus

7. Brilliant Dutch

Brilliant Dutch Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Oct 14, 2013
    Amsterdam, Holland
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Then let those people who are over 50, who are in good health, and who feel comfortable not being locked also go back to work.

Some people age a lot better than others.
    It's not like everybody who suddenly hits 50 years old is going to die from Coronavirus

8. Dutch business leaders have urge the Dutch to follow the covid rules. They are certain not doing so ends in economic disaster. So these are on the opposite of what you propose.

9. Brilliant Dutch

Brilliant Dutch Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Oct 14, 2013
    Amsterdam, Holland
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    I'm not saying we should stop following covid rules.
    I'm saying you can get people to go back to work, open restaurants, cinemas, bars....etc and still do the following:

- Maintain social distancing (keep tables 5 metres apart in restaurants).
    - Wear masks but only on public transport and keep people 2 or 3 metres apart when possible. Wearing masks in shops or Bijenkorf is stupid and accomplishes nothing.

This way at least more people can get back to work. Keeping people on social benefits while they are unemployed will bankrupt the country if this virus keeps spreading

10. On the contrary. Shops/supermarkets/departmentstores like Bijenkorf are closed environments where, unlike in the outside air, infected particles float around. Wearing masks there should be the rule as people infected can't emit it in the closed environment and the non infected at least filter out the virus containing bigger water droplets. Just this week a part of the advisory board of the gouvernment after researching foreign sources, concluded wearing masks in shops does contribute to keeping the lid on the spread. Apart from this being one of the things the most easy to follow without any disadvantages at all.

11. Brilliant Dutch

Brilliant Dutch Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Oct 14, 2013
    Amsterdam, Holland
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    You realize you still have to breathe WITH a mask on, dont you?? A mask cant contain air, it has to go somewhere. It might stop large water droplets, but it cannot stop microscopical water droplets, which can pass on Corona just as easily as large droplets.

The only thing that can reasonably stop it are N95 masks and almost nobody in the general public is wearing those, they are reserved for hospital workers

12. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    I'm going to let this thread run a bit longer to see how many more absolutely stupid posts come from @Brilliant Dutch who is demonstrating no knowledge of public health measures for pandemic times.

One can also look to the long lines in Bolivia of people purchasing chlorine-dioxide to treat themselves. This was the same 'bleach' that President Trump mentioned a couple of months ago on national television here in the US. Perhaps that is where they got the idea.

13. Brilliant Dutch

Brilliant Dutch Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Oct 14, 2013
    Amsterdam, Holland
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    You're the one who claimed to be an expert in epidemiology, you also (wrongly) claimed Corona was just like a regular flu. I had to correct you on that, so who's the one with the stupid posts??

Also, Sweden never made masks mandatory in shops and restaurants, and they still managed to lower their new infection rate without any problems. Yesterday they were down to 82 cases.

See here: https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/sweden/

[​IMG]

But go ahead and shut down the thread, O14. We all know thats what you want. You've been outdebated and all you have left is censorship

14. Yup, but the microscopic droplets you talk about donot carry far in the air, especially not in these summer temperatures. What I understand the virus needs droplets for "transport". Masks prevent transport after COUGHING to a few inches. Simple breathing stops transport right in the mask!
    https://www.livescience.com/face-mask-visualization-droplets-covid-19.html
    See the visualisation I posted.
    The N95 masks are exactly ment for health professionals as they are constantly in an environment where covid patients are emitting the virus in the air, hence the highest filtering is required.

15. Anyway, I guess you support my idea about the new football season.
    Clubs should be allowed to let fans in whith the condition they wear masks and with 1 seat free next to each other.
    Breach of the mask wearing condition by a fan (time lapsed shots of the stands will be taken every 5 minutes) will result in a 400 €€ fine and a stadium ban for the season.
    This will allow at least a decent amount of revenue. What now is on the table simply isnot workable. Might as well declare most clubs insolvent right now.

16. upload_2020-7-25_21-9-32.png
    In a new visualization, researchers simulated a cough, which appears as a glowing green vapor flowing from a mannequin's mouth. The visualizations shows that face masks dramatically reduce the spread of cough droplet particles, from 12 feet without a mask to just a few inches with a mask. Homemade cloth masks (top) and cone-style masks (bottom) worked the best at reducing droplet spread, although there was some leakage at the top of the mask in each case. (Image credit: Florida Atlantic University, College of Engineering and Computer Science )

17. Brilliant Dutch

Brilliant Dutch Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Oct 14, 2013
    Amsterdam, Holland
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Agreed on all points except more than 1 seat. Might wanna make it at least 3 seats and charge more for the each seat

18. Brilliant Dutch

Brilliant Dutch Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Oct 14, 2013
    Amsterdam, Holland
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    I'll respond to this tomorrow when I get back from the bar

19. Why 3 seats? Based on the link I provided wearing a mask prevents droplets to move more than 15cm when one sneezes=akin to loud shouting. seats are about 50cm wide, so twice the distance droplets could move. One seat skipping is more than sufficient.

20. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    I doubt that I said it was like a regular flu. I have been pretty candid from the beginning and in my daily newsletter that this is something to really be concerned about. It hits people of all ages and some of them have long lasting problems that don't seem to resolve.

Sweden has had a higher mortality rate than neighboring countries. Was this worth it? they also did not control infections in old age homes very well either. Israel thought they had controlled the virus and now schools are being shut down again becasue of large outbreaks.

You and others can refer to my NEWSLETTER to see what I think on a daily basis. I've been putting this out every day since mid-March and have a pretty large readership.

I do not want to spend any time debating you on Big Soccer as I view this as a soccer discussion place. I don't refute any of your posts as they are not worth the time and effort. If you don't like it tough. If you don't like me tough also. If you want me replaced as a MOD, let me know and I'm happy to resign and leave. Life is way too short for this nonsense.

You can continue to post away here and I won't have any issues as quite frankly I honestly do not care what you have to say. I am not a censor unless there is foul or insulting language.

21. Brilliant Dutch

Brilliant Dutch Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Oct 14, 2013
    Amsterdam, Holland
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    You did insinuate it was like the regular flu.
    See for yourself: https://www.bigsoccer.com/threads/euro-2020-team-sheet-and-tactics.2107493/page-4

And Sweden has a lot lower death rate than some other countries with more draconian shutdowns (especially Belgium). Have a look: https://coronavirus.jhu.edu/data/mortality

I also dont understand why you keep whining about me not liking you. I have nothing against you, I dont want to see you leave this forum or be demodded. All I want is open debate without censorship.

And it would also be nice if you stopped calling people like me stupid. It doesnt add anything to the debate and name-calling is kinda against the forum rules as well. So you're in essence breaking your own rules

22. Ah, the problems with BS are solved. For some hours it was impossible to post or quote anything.

23. Brilliant Dutch

Brilliant Dutch Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Oct 14, 2013
    Amsterdam, Holland
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Have a look at this report:

24. I really would object to closing the thread, as other corona virus threads are becoming unreadable with OT posts inundating them. I see about 10,000 views were registered for this thread in it's short existence which means people appreciate the content without actually posting themselves.

25. You put confidence in a trvmp pushers related tv network versus scientist report? Really?