Coronavirus Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'The Netherlands' started by Orange14, Mar 17, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    I am reluctantly setting this thread up for discussion. I don't want to see conspiracy theory or pseudo-scientific stuff as they will be deleted and the thread may end up getting locked. Prior to retirement, I spent 30 years in the biopharma industry and have a good sense of what is going on regarding new drug/vaccine development. I will try to provide links to good references. My state has closed all bars and restaurants and the schools are closed for a minimum of two weeks. Other areas in the US are doing similar things as well. Many countries in Europe have taken strong steps also.

The first small scale trial of a COVID-19 vaccine started yesterday in Seattle. Those in the trial will be tracked for one year to look for safety issues as well as assessing the potency of the vaccine. IMO, large scale production of a vaccine is 12-18 months away. A critical issue given that most people have only mild symptoms is whether the vaccine should be given to all or only those at high risk because of other medical conditions.

Perhaps the best source for information is the World Health Organization Website
    They also publish daily situation reports by country

There is a lot of good data coming out of China. They have a good demographic breakdown from the initial outbreak in Wuhan. Most at risk are the elderly and especially those with health conditions such as diabetes, high blood pressure, etc. Those under the age of 20 seem to be unaffected and many of those probably had the virus but were not ill enough to be tested. Of those that were tested and confirmed to have COVID-19 only 2% were in that age category. 80% of those infected had mild symptoms and did not require any hospital intervention.

https://www.mayoclinicproceedings.org/article/S0025-6196(19)30483-5/abstract is a good discussion of how a Zika Virus vaccine was developed and some of what is in the paper is applicable to a COVID-19 vaccine

Here is a Chinese paper on the impact of heat/humidity on COVID-19 indicating that perhaps increasing temperature and humidity may slow down transmission. We will find out as temps warm up now that we are entering the Spring months.

Aerosol and Surface Stability of COVID-19 from the NIH infectious disease laboratory

In post to come, I will discuss vaccine and drug development in a little more detail.

2. My Alma Mater, Erasmus University, claims to have found the antibody for it.

Dutch researchers first to find Covid-19 antibodies: Report ...
    nltimes.nl › 2020/03/14 › dutch-researchers-first-f...

Vertaal deze pagina
    3 dagen geleden - This is the SARS-2 virus, which causes coronavirus induced disease 19, or Covid-19 for short. They claim the antibody they found "neutralizes" ...

Unique discovery in Erasmus MC: antibody against corona ...
    www.erasmusmagazine.nl › 2020/03/14 › unique-...

Vertaal deze pagina
    3 dagen geleden - Frank Grosveld Erasmus MC coronavirus antibody foto Marko de Haan ... What did you and your fellow researchers from the Department of Virology and Utrecht ... What do you think of the current approach in the Netherlands?

Dutch scientists discover an antibody against the coronavirus ...
    dutchreview.com › News › Innovation

Vertaal deze pagina
    3 dagen geleden - Dutch scientists from Erasmus MC have claimed to have found the antibody against coronavirus. Potentially a huge discovery, but development ...

3. The Dutch numbers are different. About 50% of those in hospital and IC units are under 50yo.
    https://www.trouw.nl/zorg/het-coron...nen~bad010b4/?referer=https://www.google.com/

The problem with this virus, as with one of those early 2000, is that it can cause with very healthy young people the immune system go hyperbolic and as such become the menace instead of the solution to the body. That's what they're witnessing in Dutch hospitals.

4. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    I'm not sure how true this is. The American biotech company Regeneron, is already producing clinical trial material of a monoclonal antibody. The also have a production facility to produce this at large scale. I know their CEO and he was at the meeting with President Trump last week where this was discussed.

5. Brilliant Dutch

Brilliant Dutch Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Oct 14, 2013
    Amsterdam, Holland
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    What did I tell you, O14?? This Covid virus is not like a regular flu at all, it has a much higher death rate (at 3.4% according to WHO).

I started following it as soon as it broke out in Wuhan and right away I knew it was serious business.

Euro has now been cancelled as well. Postponed till 2021

6. The difference is that the Erasmus monoclonal antibody is specific targeted at the corona virus while the Regeneron one is from a medication for arthritis.
    https://www.thepatent.news/2020/03/15/coronavirus-holland-cure-antibody/
    https://www.france24.com/en/2020031...t-testing-arthritis-drug-to-fight-coronavirus

7. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    That is a different project altogether. See this for the real story: https://investor.regeneron.com/news...es-important-advances-novel-covid-19-antibody

I don't want this thread to be turned into a "my product is better than yours" That is not the intent of it.

8. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    I'm deleting all of your posts that cover mortality and disease incidents. this was not the purpose of this thread. Anyone who wants to track the disease can get the daily updates on a country basis at the WHO site that I already posted. All of us know that this thing is dangerous and I too have been following it along with former colleagues of mine from the pharma industry.

9. Brilliant Dutch

Brilliant Dutch Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Oct 14, 2013
    Amsterdam, Holland
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Then you might as well delete the entire thread if you're gonna keep censoring content. Content which is very relevant and important to know, by the way

10. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Posting clips of people who say this is a serious outbreak is not content; it is obvious truth. If you don't like this you have two choices, you can leave the forum or report me to the super MODs in which case I will gladly depart from Big Soccer. I don't need this kind of response. I set out the ground rules in the first post and you apparently don't like that.

11. Brilliant Dutch

Brilliant Dutch Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Oct 14, 2013
    Amsterdam, Holland
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    I dont want to you to depart from this forum O14, but you made a serious error when you compared this virus to just a regular flu when I clearly told you it is not.

You also deleted my 2 posts in this thread which didnt go against the 2 rules you set out in your OP (which were "I don't want to see conspiracy theory or pseudo-scientific stuff"). None of those 2 videos were conspiracy or pseudo-scientific material. In fact you just admitted they were "obvious truth".

So you need to be more clear as to what kind of content is allowed and what isnt, cause you're now all over the place with your forum rules

appwrangler repped this.
  12. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    We do NOT need constant posts talking about the dangers of this virus. Everybody knows that. Sit down and think about what goal YOU are serving by putting up X number of posts from experts talking about corona virus. I wanted to use this post to give those who are/were interested in discussions of possible solutions to the problem. Anyone who is interested in the pandemic can go to the WHO or the health authority website in their own country to get health statistics.

Is this clear? As I noted, i was reluctant to set this up in the first place and will give it a couple of more days to run.

13. Brilliant Dutch

Brilliant Dutch Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Oct 14, 2013
    Amsterdam, Holland
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Not everyone knows this virus is dangerous. Many people are still in denial and think its just a flu.

There's also an easy natural cure for this. I would post it but I'm sure you would delete that as well, so why bother :rolleyes:

Censoring has never worked, just ask Cuba, NKorea and the former CCCP

14. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    #15 Orange14, Mar 18, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 18, 2020
    Enough! You have beaten me into submission. I'm unpinning this thread and will leave it open for several days. You and @feyenoordsoccerfan who seem to be the only posters can use this to whatever means you want. I'm not putting the thread on moderation as that's too much work with me.

Here are the Rules for Every Other Thread: only soccer/football related posting as that is what Big Soccer is for. You can post information about players and training staff who have come down with COVID-19 in the appropriate thread for that team or on the Other Teams thread.

Simple enough rules and any other post outside of this thread will be relentlessly deleted as off topic.

15. Teak

Teak Member+

Feyenoord, VfB Stuttgart, Valencia
    Nov 22, 2008
    Grain Belt
    Club:
    Feyenoord
  16. PuckVanHeel

PuckVanHeel BigSoccer Yellow Card

Oct 4, 2011
    Club:
    Feyenoord
    Why are the number of deaths so high in our country?

17. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    If you are talking about The Netherlands, current information shows a 3% mortality rate from those known to be infected. This is much lower than Italy and higher than Germany. Unfortunately, mass screen for COVID-19 infection has not been done in almost every locale. If you don't know the true numbers of infections it can make the mortality rate look much higher than it might actually be.

There continues to be a lot that is unknown. We do know that age and associated other medical conditions appear to be correlated with poor medical outcomes. there is also data from China showing that those who have Type A blood are more prone to infections and have worse outcomes. Until we can crunch a lot of data, things will remain in a state of flux with a lot of unknowns.

18. PuckVanHeel

PuckVanHeel BigSoccer Yellow Card

Oct 4, 2011
    Club:
    Feyenoord
  19. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    It's likely a result of having a good healthcare system and prompt reporting.

20. Brilliant Dutch

Brilliant Dutch Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Oct 14, 2013
    Amsterdam, Holland
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    #22 Brilliant Dutch, Mar 19, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 19, 2020
    Per CNN:

Half of California will have the virus in 8 weeks from now. Thats about 20 million people FYI.

According to my shitty math, at current 9% daily increase of global infection rate, half the world (about 3.8 billion people) will have it 100 days from now.

Let that sink in for a bit

21. Oh dear. The flue has returned in full epidemic strength over here.
    Can one get both the flu and the coronavirus? Does that worsen your chances?

22. Brilliant Dutch

Brilliant Dutch Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Oct 14, 2013
    Amsterdam, Holland
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    If you're worried about letters or packages that might have the virus on its surface, I read somewhere that microwaving it for 2 minutes kills most viruses and bacteria (assuming of course the package doesnt contain any metal that cant go into the MV)

23. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Yes, and yes.