Coronavirus COVID19 - Megathread

Discussion in 'Real Madrid' started by Eddie, Mar 12, 2020.

1. J-Mezzy

J-Mezzy Member+

Oct 14, 2013
    Orlando
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    So my brother is feelimg the symptoms

Hope he doesnt have it. He is only 36 but he is not a healthy guy

YOUNGSTARS87, RMSocrates and Excape Goat repped this.
  2. Shay Z

Shay Z Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 3, 2007
    #3227 Shay Z, Jun 29, 2020
    Last edited: Jun 29, 2020
    You’re right. There are many comparatively small unforeseen issues that arise from this pandemic like inter personal relationships. I wasn’t aware I was around so many people who are science deniers or huge conspiracy theorists and are so quick to believe nonsense. It’s very very eye opening.

BC, as I was walking out of the gas station I kept the door open for these 2 ladies who were walking in, honestly I figured I’ve already touched the door handle at least they shouldn’t when I’m right here. I was wearing my mask They looked at me and one said to the other, isn’t that suffocating and walked in. Lol. I am sorry my impression of AZ was horrible before but it’s even worse now.

Surely there can be something done about your classroom reopening. That sounds like a recipe for disaster. Newer clinical reports are suggesting that younger patients are showing greater impact by Covid once sick than before. Unfortunately from what I’ve read remote learning has totally failed and shown the real value of teachers and classrooms. Sigh.

Horsehead repped this.
  3. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    I saw someone argue the masks can’t protect you from the virus , but somehow it affects ones oxygen flow ...

4. Akramzizou

Akramzizou Member+

Feb 13, 2006
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    It protects others from the virus if you have it right?

@Shay Z I feel you man, things not going too well with my girl who is with her family in Texas and doesn't understand why am reluctant to fly over right now. Who am I to
    pretend to know better than the city officials who decided its safe to open things up.

@Shay Z @J-Mezzy and yall, hope your loved ones get better.

Horsehead, J-Mezzy and Shay Z repped this.
  5. Shay Z

Shay Z Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 3, 2007
    Hey man that’s government overreach. I’ve been told by Fox News for over 2 decades that government shouldn’t tell me how to live my life or what’s good for me and what’s not. The free market will guide me.

Seriously speaking........ I’ve said it before.... how many people wouldn’t have died due to Covid if that orange anus had issued lockdown orders just a few week or 10 days before. Instead of saying it’s a liberal hoax. Even if it’s 50ppl (im sure it’s way more) that blood is on his hands man. Plain and simple. Unfortunately a lot of people aren’t very smart. That’s just a sad reality. They don’t possess critical thinking and have had little to no education in the sciences. They need leadership. I was just watching Gavin Newsom give his press conference and man that’s the kind of person you want in charge. Someone who is super informed about every aspect of the problem and gives reasons for his decisions. Not saying he’s some perfect dude but man if we had someone slightly better than the curse we have in the White House things would be better.

But we have people who think he is the best. My Texan, low education, co workers a few days ago included me on a text thread chain on which they were saying how the Democrats are “controlling information and saying there is a second strain which is totally a lie so they could shut down Texas again because they want trump to lose in November and TX votes republican”. I mean....... what does that even mean. They said that anyone (hinting at me) who doesn’t believe this is media bullshit needs counseling. I deleted the thread without replying but there was more stuff on there that people freely believe. That’s the reality. We think that our families who are mostly educated are a good representation of the country. They are not.

I am concerned about the future.

Bear Crotch, Horsehead and J-Mezzy repped this.
  6. Shay Z

Shay Z Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 3, 2007
    One of my old nurse friends actually put a picture on her social media wearing a mask and pulse Oximeter on her finger at the same time showing 100% oxygen saturation so people who don’t know can see that wearing a damn surgical mask doesn’t reduce your oxygen levels. Jesus!

7. sneakking

sneakking Member+

Sep 11, 2009
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    All anyone has to do is look at the numbers from the east Asian countries who have strictly adhered to mask wearing and see the results

this isn't difficult

but no, 'American exceptionalism'

8. Shay Z

Shay Z Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 3, 2007
    Absolutely Akram. Wearing a mask reduces spread drastically. We have lots of data now that supports that.

Ya man. Relationships are strained due to these circumstances. But what can we do. I can’t risk spreading the virus to someone else and if it means I have to deal with bullshit I’ll do it. Because if I catch it and give it to someone else I wouldn’t be able to deal with the guilt. And all for what...... getting drunk in a bar. Damn let’s do that at home. In your case it’s even more difficult. Long distance is hard at the best of times.

Bear Crotch repped this.
  9. sneakking

sneakking Member+

Sep 11, 2009
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

the response that I've seen to that lately is that the virus is .1 micron, so of course it's getting through a mask

completely disregarding the fact that the virus needs to be on a much larger mode of transportation to actually travel out of your body

10. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    #3235 celito, Jun 29, 2020
    Right. That's what I meant.

These masks are still not 100% ... specially non N95 ones, but they can help.The N100 is supposedly better.

If you look up how N95 masks work, it's actually pretty neat. Even if the virus is smaller than the N95 mask is rated for, it can still protect you. The problem is reusing it as washing it with soap or whatever removes some of its characteristics that makes it effective.

11. Umar

Umar Member+

Sep 13, 2005
    One step ahead
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Palestine
    Sad to read a lot of this. It’s so insane how some people not only don’t wear personal protective equipment themselves, but demonise those that do.

It’s coming almost entirely from the top, you can bet that if trump wore a mask from the beginning, his dumbass minions would be going around trying to force other (mostly Black/Mexican-American) people to wear them too.

On the wife/girlfriend front, it’s my understanding from many years of study that they need an argument once a week at least and they pick topics completely at random to get mad at you at. I wouldn’t worry too much about it lol.

Hoping you all stay safe.

YOUNGSTARS87, ahnaf, RMSocrates and 3 others repped this.
  12. MiamiNative0722

MiamiNative0722 Member+

May 25, 2013
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have a 28 year old friend who died to the virus this week. It’s insulting how the pandemic is a joke to some people

lukita, Umar, RMSocrates and 9 others repped this.
  13. Starwalker

Starwalker Member

Apr 20, 2011
    I find it really sad to read these stories. Hope all of you can stay safe and tides in the US turn quickly, for everyone’s sake.

RMSocrates, 4x4s, Excape Goat and 2 others repped this.
  14. Shay Z

Shay Z Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 3, 2007
    N95 is the best one. That’s the one we used to wear in the hospital but it’s so hard to find these days. I had one last month. I’ve been using a surgical mask ever since. Even with a basic surgical mask or even a cloth covering the chances of spread are greatly reduced. It’s a no brainer but the issue has been politicized. I 100% agree that if the president had been seen wearing a mask people would follow instead he showed defiance which lead others to believe its some kind of hoax or a lie. If two people are wearing masks and are 6ft apart the chances of spread are super low.

this is all dumb tho. People shouldn’t have to be convinced to cover their damn face in a airborne pandemic.

hala_madrid722 and celito repped this.
  15. Shay Z

Shay Z Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 3, 2007
    I’m so sorry to hear that man.

My step mom (she’s 65) who is basically the only mom I’ve had tested positive 2 weeks ago. She constantly had fever and body aches. Hospitalized for a few days. Then came home and was recovering. Then last week she developed difficulty in breathing. We did a CT and it showed multiple opacities in both her lungs. Was put on oxygen and shifted to ICU. Downgraded 2 nights later. She’s back home now and a little better. Can’t imagine the pain you and your friends family is going through.

Excape Goat, 4x4s, Horsehead and 4 others repped this.
  16. MiamiNative0722

MiamiNative0722 Member+

May 25, 2013
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #3241 MiamiNative0722, Jun 29, 2020
    Thank you for the kind words and I hope your step mom makes a full recovery as soon as possible.

It has been a shock. I know others that have contracted the virus and only had mild symptoms. It was a 3 week battle for my friend and his condition fluctuated. There was optimism a week before he lost his fight.

Anybody can die to this thing. No one should be careless just because of their age or health.

17. hala_madrid722

hala_madrid722 Member+

Jan 10, 2013
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    I’m extremely sorry & saddened to hear this. Condolences to you & especially your friend who passed family & loved ones.

If you don’t mind me asking. I’m curious from a purely scientific view if your friend was in good health or had pre-existing conditions? Compromised immune system or asthma? Anything like that?

MiamiNative0722 repped this.
  18. Bear Crotch

Bear Crotch Member+

Jan 2, 2008
    Ohio, United States
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    @natenate101

I feel for your wife as her sole purpose within the school is to serve the well-being of the students coupled with how sometimes the counselors are in general caught between admin, students and teachers. As you've said there's the trauma of the direct impact that the virus has had on kids especially in low socio-economic communities. Many of these kids will be left behind even more so than they already were. I hope your wife is able to cope with all of this. If you can, keep me updated.

@hala_madrid722

Thankfully your child will be okay, but for me I'm just worried that I'll be getting it from the kids in the classroom where it can affect the likes of you and I. If you don't mind me asking, what country or region of the US are from?

@Shay Z

No need to apologize. AZ is the most beautiful shit hole I've ever been. You interactions with the people you've written about is a good indication of the reality. There's a plethora of people who wear their mask under their nose.

In my own personal experience I had a severe lack of engagement with me own students once we moved to remote learning. You're accurate to label the online learning as a complete disaster. I wish the consensus was that people looked at in-person education as a positive value on their lives from this situation, even to the point that I'll take that they support the profession even for the fact that I "babysit their kid", but that doesn't even seem like it's the majority opinion.

I work in a Title I/inner city school and it's difficult enough to get kids to want to partake in their learning but this was an even more depressing situation. I had an engagement rate of about 30% with my AP kids and that's even higher than some other classes on my campus. I could go on a rant about how we're failing our kids from every angle; racial inequality, economic inequality, the focus on how we educate (from preschool all the way through college) and just the general degradation of American culture that's been brewing since Reagan, or even since the Vietnam War. It's going to be a wild ride in a month.

@MiamiNative0722

I'm sorry to hear that about your friend. The data alone is very illuminating depending on how one wants to interpret it, but when people choose to disregard the personal stories then I can't even come up with a the appropriate way to describe how shitty they are.

I found out my good friends back home in Ohio are going ahead with a bachelor party in a cabin in West Virginia. I made the decision to exclude myself from it even though I'm the best man. I found out while playing video games the other night, that my best friend went out on a date with a girl at multiple bars and ended up sealing the deal. He's going to be with my friends at the end of the week in WV for the bachelor party. The friend that went on a date is clinical lab technician, so he's literally the guy that tests people's fluids for COVID. He's also a liberal, so it's not just the Trumpanzees that are making the poor decisions.

RMSocrates, natenate101, Shay Z and 2 others repped this.
  19. MiamiNative0722

MiamiNative0722 Member+

May 25, 2013
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No serious conditions that I am aware of. He was a bit overweight, around 6 feet and probably 210-220 pounds, but that’s not wholly unusual I think.

I haven’t been following along with the public data and I imagine that it shows minimal deaths for young people. But we should all be careful regardless

Thank you @hala_madrid722 and @Bear Crotch for the kind words

Bear Crotch and hala_madrid722 repped this.
  20. hala_madrid722

hala_madrid722 Member+

Jan 10, 2013
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    @Bear Crotch - I live in the Bay Area (Northern California).

21. robertocarlos3

robertocarlos3 Member+

Jan 9, 2012
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Idiot.
    however, this is photoshopped. and you can see it.

22. Zidane05

Zidane05 Moderator
    Staff Member

Jul 18, 2005
    Toronto
    Hope he's alright man. This virus knows no bounds.

So sorry for your loss.

23. Eddie

Eddie Member+

Oct 19, 2005
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    I'm quite good at photoshop but i didn't check it. What exactly do you think is photoshopped?

Shay Z repped this.
  24. Eddie

Eddie Member+

Oct 19, 2005
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    MiamiNative0722 and J-Mezzy repped this.
  25. Excape Goat

Excape Goat Member+

Mar 18, 1999
    Club:
    Real Madrid