Coronavirus COVID19 - Megathread

Discussion in 'Real Madrid' started by Eddie, Mar 12, 2020.

1. Saeta Rubia

Saeta Rubia Member+

May 28, 2010
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    RM already losing 25 ME per season in basketball even when they have full revenue. Guess there will be big budget cuts for upcoming years in basketball.

2. 4x4s

4x4s Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 26, 2006
    Club:
    Real Madrid

Season done.

3. 4x4s

4x4s Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 26, 2006
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    There are others getting hit harder. In general many clubs operate at a level where they are being financed by ticket sales. Zalgiris, Baskonia, Maccabi, important basketball institutions.

There is a lot of criticism for the players going around who brokered a 20% wage cut and then simply flew back home and said they are not coming back. As far as I've seen our guys are back and are working out for the ACB but vocal star players like Mike James of CSKA have been in the "all my money, and I'm not playing until there's a vaccine" camp.

At least Real Madrid has the greatest youth department in european basketball by a ridiculous margin so we'll be more or less fine.

Indoor sport (Volleyball, Icehockey and Handball included) is pretty much at the brink of going bankrupt collectively right now. Ticket sales mean everything there since TV rights are basically minimal.

Saeta Rubia repped this.
  4. hala_madrid722

hala_madrid722 Member+

Jan 10, 2013
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    I looked into this a bit more. You have to be very cognizant of terms like “may have” etc... I think logic alone will tell you having that match was a bad idea & almost surely spread the virus further. But the claim of 41 deaths is based on extremely shaky science. An incredible amount of assumptions are being made with this claim. Not saying the info is wrong but it’s highly unprovable claims as well when it comes to concrete scientific evidence.

More info below:

”The decision to let Liverpool's Champions League match against Atletico Madrid go-ahead may have "led to 41 additional deaths" due to the coronavirus, the Sunday Times reported. Jurgen Klopp's side faced the Spanish club in a second-leg last 16 tie at Anfield on March 11 in front of a crowd of some 52,000, with 3,000 visiting supporters in attendance. The match was the last major football fixture played in England before the coronavirus lockdown.

According to the Sunday Times, Edge Health, which analyses data for Britain's National Health Service, estimated the match was "linked to 41 additional deaths" at nearby hospitals between 25 and 35 days later, compared with similar hospital trusts that were used as a control.

Imperial College London and Oxford University have estimated Spain had around 640,000 positive coronavirus cases at the time that the match went ahead compared to 100,000 in Britain at that stage“

5. RaMaaa

RaMaaa Member+

Feb 3, 2013
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Anadolu Efes fans im meltdown, jeeeeez. Like season should be not cancelled just because they had great team and was favorite to win all competion this year.

4x4s repped this.
  6. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    It was kinda funny when Mainz blasted whistling noises whenever Leipzig scored. On one hand it makes sense & makes it feel more real.

But OTOH, the home stadium is essentially dissing their own club. "Press the blue 'our team sucks' button, Thomas. Leipzig scored again." :coffee:

7. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    Curious to know how many Atalanta v Valencia killed. The Milan area was much deeper into the pandemic than Madrid at that time.

8. 4x4s

4x4s Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 26, 2006
    Club:
    Real Madrid

9. 4x4s

4x4s Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 26, 2006
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Last team i saw live by the way. I think i watched every single team this season, but the last team i went to watch in person was them.

Our lower division team will probably not be back in action until September: Since we have to hold practices at highschool gyms, we're not allowed to practice until schools are officially open which means next school year at the earliest.

The football courts are behind the school building. What i did think of is that this cancels a lot of plans that enviromentalists were pushing for: Such as wanting to ban artificial pitches because of the "microplastic particles", which were presented as if teams were playing on burning car tires.

Going back from those modern artificial pitches that were installed for millions around the country, to real grass is going to cost millions over millions as well as basically have to be replaced after every winter at the latest.

10. 4x4s

4x4s Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 26, 2006
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    I know it's highly speculative and very very hard to come up with a precice enough number like this, but do you honestly think it was safe to play this match, considering that Madrid had an absolute meltdown just days later and went into a state of lockdown?

Liverpool did everything to snake out of playing without fans, Klopp claimed they would "listen to the medical experts" and now they pretend to be innocent.

Saeta Rubia repped this.
  11. hala_madrid722

hala_madrid722 Member+

Jan 10, 2013
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    I absolutely do not think it was safe. It was a horrible decision to move forward with that match.

lukita and 4x4s repped this.
  12. 4x4s

4x4s Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 26, 2006
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Euroleague is a mess. EuroCup (the lower tier competition) even moreso.

Facundo Campazzo might leave us to join an NBA franchise next season although who knows what will happen. :(

13. Saeta Rubia

Saeta Rubia Member+

May 28, 2010
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Guess the Basketball crisis hasn't affected Barca. Wonder how they are getting the money.

14. Saeta Rubia

Saeta Rubia Member+

May 28, 2010
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    RMSocrates, madridista_hr, Eddie and 3 others repped this.
  15. 4x4s

4x4s Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 26, 2006
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    They got rid of Malcolm Delaney's wages who was earning more than that, well basically Delaney went back to the states and told them he's not coming back, so it's a matter of him leaving more than them getting rid of him, the guy was fantastic for them and i'm happy for it. Also Kevin Pangos is on the chopping block.

16. J-Mezzy

J-Mezzy Member+

Oct 14, 2013
    Orlando
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    This keeps happening in this country. Nothing changes. Disgusting

17. YOUNGSTARS87

YOUNGSTARS87 Yellow C@rd Bandit

Dec 21, 2005
    They will make excuses to make it okay.

Drouchk repped this.
  18. YOUNGSTARS87

Dec 21, 2005
    Here's another one....

Imagine the level of entitlement you have when you're illegally walking a dog without a leash in a park and when you're asked to put a leash on yout dog you threaten the person by saying you will call the cops and tell them a black guy is threatening you...... because you know cops will probably kill him.

Just disgusting. What can one even say about this world at the moment?

RMSocrates, girrdib, Drouchk and 2 others repped this.
  19. YOUNGSTARS87

Dec 21, 2005
    1264965252866641920 is not a valid tweet id

20. natenate101

natenate101 Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 16, 2006
    California, US
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hey all, important topics once again but if not Covid/sports related please discuss in Chat thread. Thanks.

21. J-Mezzy

J-Mezzy Member+

Oct 14, 2013
    Orlando
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    NBA suggesting a group stage for this season lol

I like it

22. Saeta Rubia

Saeta Rubia Member+

May 28, 2010
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
  23. 4x4s

4x4s Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 26, 2006
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    The talk is that what the distance between what the players are asking for and what the owners want to give is huge. Looks like this will get stuck right there in those negotiations.

24. sneakking

sneakking Member+

Sep 11, 2009
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

hit it before June as predicted. also probably undercounting considering the high number of pneumonia deaths compared to previous years:

https://www.reddit.com/r/Coronaviru...tucky_has_had_913_more_pneumonia_deaths_than/

“Pneumonia kills about 50,000 people each year in the U.S., according to the CDC.
    This year, at least 89,555 deaths have been attributed nationwide to pneumonia between February and mid-May.
    It tends to follow a typical flu season, coming on in December and peaking in January and February before declining in March to April.
    But preliminary CDC data from this year show pneumonia deaths steadily climbed in March to peak in April, mirroring the trend line for deaths linked to the coronavirus outbreak.
    Surrounding states are also seeing death counts several times greater than normal:
    Indiana: 1,832 COVID-19 deaths; 2,149 pneumonia deaths (five-year average: 384)
    Illinois: 4,856 COVID-19 deaths; 3,986 pneumonia deaths (five-year average: 782)
    Tennessee: 336 COVID-19 deaths; 1,704 pneumonia deaths (five-year average: 611)
    Ohio: 1,969 COVID-19 deaths; 2,327 pneumonia deaths (five-year average: 820)
    Virginia: 1,208 COVID-19 deaths; 1,394 pneumonia deaths (five-year average: 451)
    West Virginia: 72 COVID-19 deaths; 438 pneumonia deaths (five-year average: 117)”

Saeta Rubia and BocaFan repped this.
  25. 4x4s

4x4s Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 26, 2006
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    You know what's problematic though? That people ar ebasically starting to storm out and ignore it all, so i think at som epoint people won't care unless it directly involves them.

To quote Felix Kroos from the new Kroos brothers podcast "we're basically back to normal only with 1,5m distance and masks".

At the same time, i read that 85% of gastronomy establishments that were allowed to open claim that turnover is even lower than expected. Reports of mass infections at restaurants (ranging from 20 to 100 people in one night) just within a week were a death blow to the industry.