Coronavirus COVID19 - Megathread

Discussion in 'Real Madrid' started by Eddie, Mar 12, 2020.

1. J-Mezzy

J-Mezzy Member+

Oct 14, 2013
    Orlando
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Yeah i can see that

What i don't understand is why anyone actually prefers college basketball to the NBA. Lesser talent, weaker game due to the rules style, less exciting.

Some people follow college basketball religiously and never watch an NBA game. That's crazy to me.

Shay Z and RMSocrates repped this.
  2. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Well ... like I said, in cities that don't have professional team but has a College that has a winning program, College sports seem to be more of a conversation than Pros. Perhaps not FB because you're right, NFL is big all over. But BB yes.

Reasons why people prefer College BB over NBA is in College basically every game counts, less individualistic, more passion. I've known many people who follow College BB and don't care about NBA.

3. J-Mezzy

J-Mezzy Member+

Oct 14, 2013
    Orlando
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia

Fan passion

But with a 64 team playoffs, hard to say every regular season game counts.

I don't have a problem with people liking and having affiliations to the local college teams or family teams. Or even loving it more due to affiliation, but i am talking about actually preferring the game overall to the NBA game.

I love Colombia soccer above anything elese, but I'm not gonna sit here and argue that conmebol is a better product than Champions for example or Uefa.

4. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Well ... each conference also has a tournament. So winning that is also a big deal. But there is definitely a feeling that all regular season games, at least all conference games count but the season is shorter and every game is a tick towards qualifying towards the big dance. Can't compare that to NBAs regular season.

About the game itself ... yes many people don't like all the individuality of the NBA and just prefer NCAA BB. Obviously a bit of it has to do with you following your alma mater.

J-Mezzy repped this.
  5. 4x4s

4x4s Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 26, 2006
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    The schools have a much bigger identification factor than the franchises. People still aren't over the Supersonics heartbreak, and that's just one example. Also the nba is diluted by tons of fans that follow a player and not the team, which barely happens at the Ncaa level unless it's a once in a lifetime talent like Zion.

celito and J-Mezzy repped this.
  6. J-Mezzy

J-Mezzy Member+

Oct 14, 2013
    Orlando
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Either way

Glad the NBA found a way to help the elite players make some money with the G-league

With more and more alternatives to free labor that college offers, i see more and more talent choosing to skip college

Ahmadi8, 4x4s and Saeta Rubia repped this.
  7. RMSocrates

RMSocrates Member+

Apr 5, 2006
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    I know people who feel that way about college football vs pro football but that’s mainly for the reason @celito posted, the capital of that state only had a D1 college football team (Nebraska - Huskers) so most everyone in the largest city (Omaha) would go crazy over them. I ended up hating the team for that reason lolz, Husker fans are unbearable. Haven’t been good since the mid-late 90s but won’t shut up about being “disrespected” and how they should be better, this year is the year to finally comeback and worst of all, you have to be a fan of the huskers since you live/grew up here. ******** that.

Personally I’ve never understood the appeal of college football, outside of SEC and Ohio, the teams are too average IMO, the difference in the quality and especially speed of the NFL is too much to overcome and college games are way too long.

End rant, lol.

J-Mezzy repped this.
  8. hala_madrid722

hala_madrid722 Member+

Jan 10, 2013
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    I’m highly skeptical that NCAA basketball is more popular in the US than the NBA I don’t believe that for a second.

Same goes for the NFL, although college football is probably closer in popularity than college basketball is to the NBA.

J-Mezzy repped this.
  9. J-Mezzy

J-Mezzy Member+

Oct 14, 2013
    Orlando
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Going by marquee times in NT (Christmas, sunday games, etc, i would think NBA is overall bigger) Cities also have higher population than small towns

10. hala_madrid722

hala_madrid722 Member+

Jan 10, 2013
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Not buying this one bit. There is no way NCAA basketball is more popular in the US than the NBA that is compete nonsense. It’s a completely inferior product outside of the NCAA tournament (March madness).

The NBA is literally argued about on ESPN 365 days a year, trends on Twitter constantly, highlights are shown & discussed on every sports show across the country. People constantly discuss the NBA on all social media platforms. None of the above can be said about NCAA basketball.

I would have to imagine US viewership & attendance being SIGNIFICANTLY higher per game in the NBA as well.

11. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    We cannot afford herd immunity for such a strong virus for which there is no treatment or vaccine. Its fine to simply wait for herd immunity when hospitalization and mortality rates are very low, like with the common flu in most years (for which there is also treatment).

12. YOUNGSTARS87

YOUNGSTARS87 Yellow C@rd Bandit

Dec 21, 2005
    It is not.

It's laughable to even compare. At least with college football the following is great in states and cities with no professional team. Even with that it takes a backseat to the league.

However college basketball is pretty much an after thought unless some great talent like Zion is playing or the tournament is on.

Saeta Rubia, hala_madrid722 and J-Mezzy repped this.
  13. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    This tells me you didn't really read the post carefully.

14. sneakking

sneakking Member+

Sep 11, 2009
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #2889 sneakking, May 20, 2020
    Last edited: May 20, 2020
    take my time to understand your rubbish picture that has no source?

might be a while

here's one for you....it's about at your pace, nice colors

Attached Files:

Shay Z and YOUNGSTARS87 repped this.
  15. sneakking

sneakking Member+

Sep 11, 2009
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  16. YOUNGSTARS87

YOUNGSTARS87 Yellow C@rd Bandit

Dec 21, 2005
  17. J-Mezzy

J-Mezzy Member+

Oct 14, 2013
    Orlando
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Looks like the NBA is leaning to Orlando as the site for an NBA return.

Been saying it all along. Vegas made little sense when Disney is private property, has a sports complex, a transportation system, plenty of hotels and resorts, food, and ESPN. It's a no brainer

18. Doni

Doni Member+

Dec 4, 2010
    London
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    I’ve fallen into this category. By the time I started to watch NBA with any sort of regularity I was too old to just pick a team without living in the city, so now have fav players but no fav team.

J-Mezzy and Eddie repped this.
  19. Eddie

Eddie Member+

Oct 19, 2005
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Personally i've decided not to follow a specific team but enjoy the game overall. I have a few teams whose games i watch more often because of players i like.

20. J-Mezzy

J-Mezzy Member+

Oct 14, 2013
    Orlando
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    #2895 J-Mezzy, May 20, 2020
    Last edited: May 20, 2020
    The Magic are always welcoming fans even though we suck

Zidane05 repped this.
  21. Doni

Doni Member+

Dec 4, 2010
    London
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Yeah no thanks :p

J-Mezzy repped this.
  22. RMSocrates

RMSocrates Member+

Apr 5, 2006
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    So is the plan all the teams are going to stay/play in Orlando until they are eliminated? Players going to stay in a hotel/hotels away from their families?

23. J-Mezzy

J-Mezzy Member+

Oct 14, 2013
    Orlando
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia

From what i read families can come and stay in the resorts too but the players will be subject to constant testing

They are looking at mid June mini camp and mid july resuming the season

RMSocrates repped this.
  24. Zidane05

Zidane05 Moderator
    Staff Member

Jul 18, 2005
    Toronto
    So true, been to the new arena a couple of times, great fans for the ones that are there.

J-Mezzy repped this.
  25. J-Mezzy

J-Mezzy Member+

Oct 14, 2013
    Orlando
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Yeah that new arena is sick

I've been to a few older ones and there is a big difference