Coronavirus COVID19 - Megathread

Discussion in 'Real Madrid' started by Eddie, Mar 12, 2020.

1. Eddie

Eddie Member+

Oct 19, 2005
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Since we have news related to the recent outbreak of the pandemic Coronavirus Covid19, i thought we should have one central thread to discuss news and the effect it has had on everything sports related.

Today our club announced that one member of our basketball team tested positive and since both our football and basketball team share the same facilities, they will all go into quarantine until further notice.

La Liga has suspended the next two match days.

UCL and EL are about to be suspended as well.

NBA has been suspended.

Some useful links about the virus:
    WHO Coronavirus website
    John Hopkins - Real time monitoring (world wide)

S1na, Nathanial Essex, Anon. and 3 others repped this.
  2. robnycus

robnycus Member+

Jun 28, 2010
    Club:
    New York Cosmos
    McLaren F1 team pulled out from the Australian GP as someone from their team got infected.

3. Eddie

Eddie Member+

Oct 19, 2005
    Club:
    Real Madrid
  4. Shay Z

Shay Z Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 3, 2007
    Good idea Eddie. We can talk other sports and football here.

How is Ferrari going to take its people out of Italy to Australia for the GP. That seems utterly foolish. Australia hasn’t had that many cases I believe. Hanks was diagnosed there tho. They should cancel the Grand Prix but there nobody more money hungry than F1

MerlinRM and Digital repped this.
  5. Zidane05

Zidane05 Moderator
    Staff Member

Jul 18, 2005
    Toronto
    F1 is close to lunacy with what they are doing.

Shay Z and 4x4s repped this.
  6. Eddie

Eddie Member+

Oct 19, 2005
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    I wonder if Euro 2020 will be cancelled. This years tournament was meant to be played in many European countries, which seems like a horrible idea right now.

Maybe things will calm down until then.

Anon. and madridista_hr repped this.
  7. janos audron

janos audron Member+

Apr 12, 2010
    I have read somewhere that in bad scenario we can expect up to 4 months of this. So, Euro is cutting it close.

8. Eddie

Eddie Member+

Oct 19, 2005
    Club:
    Real Madrid

This tweet from March 1 from our basketball player that got infected...

S1na, Stiliyan, RMSocrates and 2 others repped this.
  9. hector_br

hector_br Member+

Feb 13, 2007
    I'm glad competitions are being suspended. Seriously, I was watching the Liverpool x Atletico game yesterday and all I could think of was that bunch of people breathing into each other's necks.

It's time for people to stay home. If we deal with this in an intelligent way (highly unlikely), I believe the virus can be contained in a timely fashion.

S1na, meringues, MadridUSA and 2 others repped this.
  10. RMrules

RMrules Member+

Real Madrid
    Spain
    Aug 12, 2019
    The football season seems to have ended already,the way the virus is spreading across Europe/Middle east i doubt life will return to normal in the coming monts .

Things are probably much worse globaly,i dont believe China and their low numbers of infected,they are lying as they are afraid of the economic collapse there .

What happens now with Seria A/La Liga....i dont think that Lazio/Barcelona shoud be given the titles,thats unfair.......

Stay safe everyone

ImadEdd, Prit Javier and Lyra repped this.
  11. 4x4s

4x4s Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 26, 2006
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Donovan Mitchell , team mate of the Utah Jazz player Rudy Gobert that was tested positive was also tested positive today. Players say that Gobert was careless touching players and their belongings in jest.

After Timo Hübers a second Hannover 96 player was tested positive. Jannes Horn, who had close contact with his brother Florian after getting infected, who is on his end a physio at Eintracht Braunschweig and could have infected multiple members of the team if tested positive.

Eddie repped this.
  12. Lyra

Lyra Member+

Apr 29, 2013
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    #12 Lyra, Mar 12, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 12, 2020
    Hazard is now stuck in USA.
    Or can he return to Europe?

13. MerlinRM

MerlinRM Member+

May 5, 2014
    NorthEast USA
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Hmmm I know the ban didn't apply to US citizens but it was also banning non-US citizens from flying over to the US. Eden is already here so I imagine they'll let him go back.

14. 4x4s

4x4s Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 26, 2006
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Rick Pitino (current coach of Panathinaikos and the national team in Basketball) apparently left to be with his family in the States. So there seems like there are chances to attain entry.

Over here an airport worker got infected. He's working at security checkups so it'S assumed he got the virus while going through a passengers stuff. :/

15. RaMaaa

RaMaaa Member+

Feb 3, 2013
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Euro will be cancelled for sure, but how about Tokyo...

16. 4x4s

4x4s Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 26, 2006
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Definitely.

The Olympic comittee said that the Summer games would be canceled if things are "not under control until the end of May", since then things have gotten twice to three times as bad. Travel bans, countries under lockdown.

Nothing will happen during the summer. Not even a table tennis tournament.

17. Lyra

Lyra Member+

Apr 29, 2013
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    When the suspension is withdrawn, do we start from where we left (with respect to league rounds, positions etc.?)

18. 4x4s

4x4s Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 26, 2006
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    I'm guessing it depends on when the Leagues will start again and what the federations and player associations will consider as the right process. This is something that has never happened before, so who knows?

19. MadridUSA

MadridUSA Member

Dec 2, 2013
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    While watching the Liverpool game, I was saying that this may very well be the last major sporting event in front of a live audience that we’ll see for a while. Holding that game yesterday might come to look incredibly foolish with hindsight. Thousands of people huddled together, many from Madrid, which seems to be hit harder than other places, is a recipe for disaster. Large events in situations like this can have devastating effects, as the infamous Philadelphia war bond rally during the Spanish Flu illustrates, and I hope that Liverpool game doesn’t end up becoming the covid version of that.

If the Premier League is suspended or canceled, Liverpool would presumably be named champions. How cruel would it be if they weren’t and their EPL drought continued because of this!

20. hector_br

hector_br Member+

Feb 13, 2007
    Is FIFA crazy enough to maintain the next Fifa dates? Pretty sure they are approaching.

21. MiamiNative0722

MiamiNative0722 Member+

May 25, 2013
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Lyra repped this.
  22. RMrules

RMrules Member+

Real Madrid
    Spain
    Aug 12, 2019
    The football season is done,the english FA should give Liverpool the title ,the rest of Europes big leagues/CL/EL should be cancelled without winners for this season.

23. Açores57

Açores57 Member+

Oct 4, 2015
    Club:
    Real Madrid

worth a listen

4x4s and Bear Crotch repped this.
  24. MiamiNative0722

MiamiNative0722 Member+

May 25, 2013
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Supposedly, China went from having 3.5k new cases per day to only 24 yesterday. That’s pretty encouraging

S1na and Lyra repped this.
  25. Bear Crotch

Bear Crotch Member+

Jan 2, 2008
    Ohio, United States
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    I struggle to do anything but question any news that comes out of China.