News: Coronavirus Covid-19

Discussion in 'Women's International' started by sbahnhof, Mar 19, 2020.

1. sbahnhof

sbahnhof Member+

Nov 21, 2016
    Aotearoa
    Stay safe, everyone.

[​IMG]

General updates on what's happening? / postponements in the football world? / suspension of normality? / other developments? If not covered in another thread.

Earlier:

2. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    In Italy, where I live, the epidemic is running rampant and is apparently still far from having reached its peak. Mathematical models suggest that, unless severe lock-down has been implemented very early (that I don't think happened anywhere), the other countries are just one or two weeks behind Italy but eventually they're expected to reach the same level of contagion we're experiencing here.

Hard times and we don't see the end of them as very close. Even when the emergency will end, how to restart the sports will be only a minimal facet of how to restart everything.

Of course, no sport is being practiced right now in Italy. The government is even thinking about a specific prohibition about training outdoors alone.

3. FanOfFutbol

FanOfFutbol Member+

The Mickey Mouse Club or The breakfast Club
    May 4, 2002
    Limbo
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    I have seen some reports that conditions in Japan are improving but most of the lockdowns are still in progress in most cases. The problem with ending preventative measures soon is that all it would take is one or two people that are contagious, and symptoms are not required for transmission in some cases, to mingle in a crowd and boom the outbreak starts all over. Unless a viable vaccine is developed then the only people with resistance to the disease would be those previously infected. Remember that the deadliest part of the 1918 flu pandemic was the second wave that happened after the first seemed almost over.

I do not think the outbreak should be considered "over" until there are virtually no new cases world wide for a good amount of time and there is a viable vaccine and that vaccine is distributed mostly world wide.

Then there is training time to get teams working together and to get in shape.

I do not see the Olympics going on as scheduled and I do not believe it is possible to move them to another time or place,

I even have doubts as to the sensibility of various sports leagues restarting before about September or October. This virus is just too dangerous to allow it to regain a foothold. Once there is a viable vaccine and it is distributed with a large majorly of people taking it then things like sports that draw big crowds can restart but before then it would be foolish and even dangerous for things to ramp back up.

I am as bored as anyone, in fact more bored than most, because I am mostly home-bound, I do not wish to see this virus get a new start just because some greedy person decided to restart something too early.

One more thing: If the virus hangs on in a large population then there is always an increased chance of mutation into a more contagious and/or deadly form. The virus is still "young" and it has a fair chance of mutation.

BTW: I do NOT expect this to turn in to a "Zombie Apocalypse" but it could, if proper care is not taken, become even worse.

4. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    #4 blissett, Mar 20, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 20, 2020
    I really don't expect anything to restart before September or October. For instance, here in Italy by now we're openly talking of keeping the schools closed at least until the next academic year (that usually starts in September here in Italy). I keep giving my lessons on-line but of course a good part of this year has basically gone, because it's virtually impossible to do on-line everything that was done in presence and most things get complicated. We're going to somehow complete this academic year anyway, but suffice to say that I would be very relieved if the next year could start regularly in September.

It could be a data-warping due to a lot of undetectes cases in our country or a discrepancy due to fact that Italian population is older than Chinese population, but apparently mortality rates of coronavirus in Italy are higher than in China.

bigsoccertst1, Lechus7 and FanOfFutbol repped this.
  5. Mills

Mills Member

Aug 23, 2019
    Hopefully, the virus will wane by the Summer.
    I've heard that this virus thrives in a humid climate with a temperature range of 5-11 degrees C (41-52 degrees F).

6. FanOfFutbol

FanOfFutbol Member+

May 4, 2002
    Limbo
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Well to be honest I was thinking more about here in the US than in the various overseas leagues that I follow. I applies everywhere but my old brain is more than a little "home centric." I am very concerned that our baseball leagues will startup withing a month or two and i really think that would be WAY premature. Of course the MLS could also start too soon but I think that is less likely than MLB because the MLB is extremely greedy and more than a little corrupt. There is also the various car and horse racing "leagues" that draw huge crowds and have no good reason to place large numbers of people at risk.

Here, in the US, money often overrides common since or safety of the fans. The only value that many leagues see in their fans is the dollars the can squeeze out of them. Dollars almost always seem to dominate any discussions of the current crises at the corporate level. I REALLY want my sports back but I do not want it at the expense of placing more lives in danger.

I think you may be right about Italy being a bit more at risk because of an ageing population but there are also other possibilities like there could have been a slight mutation of the virus and the slightly different strain in Italy and much of Europe is deadlier than the original. I am not saying that is the case but according to a virologist I know young viruses, like this one, can sometimes easily mutate subtly and the mutation can be very hard to detect unless looked for.

There really is no point in starting things up too early. As I have said before all it takes is one contagious person interacting with a large crowd to infect hundreds and from there to thousands and then even more. In 1918 the second wave of the flue was more deadly than the first. I believe we should do whatever we can to be sure that the novel coronavirus does not have a second wave.

On the other hand we could all just stock up on dehydrated food, bottled water and shotguns and shells and prepare ti fight our neighbors off at the door. ;):p:eek::ROFLMAO:
    I think this is just a way to soften us up for a alien invasion but they have underestimated us. We will simply upload a computer virus to the mother ship, board it and the steal the cure from their database. What could go wrong with that plan?

Lechus7 and blissett repped this.
  7. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    I get the reference. ;)

FanOfFutbol repped this.
  8. FanOfFutbol

FanOfFutbol Member+

May 4, 2002
    Limbo
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    I did take some poetic license with the base plot however. :alien::rolleyes::eek:

blissett repped this.
  9. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    My university, which had declared an extra week of spring break and two weeks of online learning, have now declared the entire rest of the semester is to be done online. Lots of people trying to play it safe as best they can. The entire state of California is on lockdown.

Man, don't get me started about biases and undetected cases... I know that there were initial reports out of China that suggested than men are more susceptible than women, but more data then came out to say that men in China are much more likely to be (or have been smokers) than women, so gender was a secondary predictor in that case. Here in the US now, it's starting to look like younger people are just as susceptible as older people, so I have no clue if there's some other factor that was or wasn't be considered. Could be a new strain, could be just a different demographic profile, could be an unconsidered factor.

Lechus7, cpthomas and blissett repped this.
  10. bigsoccertst1

bigsoccertst1 Member+

United States
    Sep 22, 2017
    What I find pleasantly remarkable are numbers of confirmed sick/deceased in Japan: (1007 sick / 35 deceased, as of March 20)
    https://coronavirus.jhu.edu/map.html

Remarkable considering how long ago Japan confirmed its first case, while having a large elderly population.
    Maybe Japan went into lockdown at an earlier stage than other countries. I do not know how early though.

Some hopeful news: as shared by JHU, China has treated its sick with plasma from recovered patients, boosting their recovery rate.
    The plasma technique was how the world fought viruses when vaccines or antivirals did not exist.
    In a recent interview to the chair of Molecular of Microbiology and Immunology at JHB School of Health, Casadevall indicated that China had sent 90 tons of plasma to Italy.

On March 18, his team requested approval to US Food and Drug Administration to start testing an US plasma solution: fast-track request so clinical trials can start 3-4 weeks after approval. The idea is to create a plasma solution by the beginning of US summer.
    Casadevall explained how the US plasma technique would differ from its Chinese precursor.
    https://www.globalhealthnow.org/202...ution-until-vaccines-and-antivirals-are-ready

In women's football related news, Conmebol plans to restart its u20/u17 qualifiers in early July/September, respectively.
    It is unclear whether Conmebol has checked with the respective host countries, regarding quarantine protocols for visiting foreigners during those months.
    http://conmebol.com/es/reprogramacion-de-torneos-de-selecciones

Stay safe out there.

L'orange, sbahnhof and Lechus7 repped this.
  11. Lechus7

Lechus7 Member+

Aug 31, 2011
    Wroclaw
    #11 Lechus7, Mar 21, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 21, 2020
    There's a lot of misinformation flying around nowadays about the virus. This nice video is summarizing the basic facts we already know about SARS-COVID19 and COVID19.

12. Klingo3034

Klingo3034 Member+

Dallas FC
    United States
    Oct 11, 2019
    Thin
    Think the Japanese people tend to bow instead of hugging and kissing as a greeting compared to Italy. Which recently lost about 800 people today.

13. FanOfFutbol

FanOfFutbol Member+

May 4, 2002
    Limbo
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    There are many many other cultural differences that contribute to Japan being able to hold the number of cases down. The problem is that it is NOT Japan that matters the most to it being reasonable and safe to hold the Olympics. It is really the rest of the world. The virus needs to be nearly completely controlled and there needs to be a viable and tested vaccine that everyone in and around the games would be required to take.

We may well get 100% recovery in Japan in plenty of time for the Olympics but, unless that includes the rest of the world, the Olympics may still be a no go.

14. sbahnhof

sbahnhof Member+

Nov 21, 2016
    Aotearoa
    As we'd expect, the Olympics are making "alternative plans" in secret.
    Plan B, plan D, plan XVI... lots of plans.

This is a very stressful time but please stay strong - it will have an end.

About league soccer, it was still going on until very recently, in Mexico, Brazil and Argentina. They'll be back.
    (Don't worry about the forum going under - there's a whole 12-month backlog of posts I didn't have time to make yet. :confused: Including a Women's World Cup topic that will blow everyone's mind)

Lechus7, Mills and blissett repped this.
  15. Mills

Mills Member

Aug 23, 2019
    I hope they release a final solution soon for the sake of the athletes.

16. bigsoccertst1

bigsoccertst1 Member+

United States
    Sep 22, 2017
    Some countries went into large debt after over-spending on their Olympic Games, Brazil and Greece come quickly to mind.

Perhaps Japan is desperate to get bankers off its back, after spending US 12 billion to organize the Olympics.
    Cannot get loan extensions for 2021, so Japan will fight for a 2020 date.

One plan is to drop some of its 50 disciplines (33 sports).

Looking at the remaining 2020 calendar, men's Olympic football should be cut. Few UEFA clubs will lend players outside of northern summer dates.

I am inclined to dropping 3x3 basketball, since basketball is already in the Olympics.

Completely for dropping Equestrian: 6 disciplines, 3 per gender.
    The horse's nationality and gender are disregarded for competition.
    Festivus is 9 months early for me.

sbahnhof repped this.
  17. L'orange

L'orange Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Jul 20, 2017
    They wouldn't dare drop BMX (kids racing) from the Games, would they!?

Sadly, the games will have to be postponed. I think Canada has already decided to drop out--and U.S. Swimming does not want to participate and could not participate because its Olympic Trials have not been held and couldn't be held for a while, so there is no U.S. swimming team yet--and I'm sure the same applies to other events here and in other countries. It is a shame--I feel for the athletes.

18. Klingo3034

Klingo3034 Member+

Dallas FC
    United States
    Oct 11, 2019
    Pretty much every U.S. Olympic teams are screaming to delay the game until this is over.

19. FanOfFutbol

FanOfFutbol Member+

May 4, 2002
    Limbo
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
  20. sbahnhof

sbahnhof Member+

Nov 21, 2016
    Aotearoa
    [​IMG] As posted in Damallsvenskan, Sweden is cancelling sport competitions and 50-person gatherings, but is not in lockdown at the moment. Some soccer friendly games have continued to go ahead.
    https://www.theguardian.com/world/2...der-lockdown-sweden-keeps-calm-and-carries-on

[​IMG] Belarus held its women's Super Cup today, the curtain-raiser to the 2020 season, because the country's Trumpesque leader hasn't taken any meaningful action against the virus. Then again, Belarus doesn't have 100,000 cases and didn't elect the guy.
    https://www.dw.com/en/coronavirus-sport-in-belarus-ignores-crisis/a-52939561

Champions League 2nd-rounders FC Minsk won the supercup game 5-0.

[​IMG] Australia has restricted public gatherings to ... two
    https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-03...d-to-two-people-coronavirus-covid-19/12101162

21. shlj

shlj Member+

Apr 16, 2007
    London
    Club:
    FC Nantes
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    FIFA guidelines have come out.
    it will be a big mess, if clubs and players do not agree on short term contract extensions to finish the season. At the same time, moving the transfer windows will prevent players from finsihing the seasons with another team which is good.

sbahnhof and blissett repped this.
  22. Lechus7

Lechus7 Member+

Aug 31, 2011
    Wroclaw
    blissett repped this.
  23. sbahnhof

sbahnhof Member+

Nov 21, 2016
    Aotearoa
  24. FanOfFutbol

FanOfFutbol Member+

May 4, 2002
    Limbo
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    I will call your poem and raise with three of my favorites.
    They are little and light except for the last. That one is anything but light.

I have found many passages in Dylan's work to be some of the strongest ever written without falling into the "Poet's trap" where the definition of "Poetry" becomes - "The art of obscuring meaning with language."

sbahnhof repped this.
  25. hotjam2

hotjam2 Member+

Nov 23, 2012
    Club:
    Real Madrid