NSR: Coronavirus: A global Pandemic.

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by dapip, Feb 26, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bootsy Collins

Bootsy Collins Player of the Year

Oct 18, 2004
    Capitol Hill
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    With the one exception that his base skews old.

2. bostonsoccermdl

bostonsoccermdl Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 3, 2002
    Denver, CO
    All i know is the new Elder Scrolls can't come soon enough. Like 3 years ago when they first announced it :rolleyes:

3. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just FYI, there are 49.2 million Americans over 65 years old. If by the end of this 23,000 of them die, that's less than 0.05%.

4. Boandlkramer

Boandlkramer Member+

Apr 9, 2009
    Samma Weltmeister!
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I’d rather get sick there than here. I’m working it, and would move in the middle of “all this.”
    Several apps submitted

5. Timon19

Timon19 Member+

Jun 2, 2007
    Akron, OH
    At least we have Half-Life 3...

NORML and bostonsoccermdl repped this.
  6. American Brummie

Jun 19, 2009
    There Be Dragons Here
    Club:
    Birmingham City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I betcha more than 23,000 Americans over 65 have died already.

sitruc repped this.
  7. dapip

dapip Member+

Sep 5, 2003
    South Florida
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    As with the opioid crisis, wait until the virus moves to white rural underserved (healthcare wise) locations...

8. Yoshou

Yoshou Fan of the CCL Champ

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    For a person as pendantic as you, "Body armor" also would have also been imprecise in the same way that calling a truck "an automobile" is. A stab vest is a particular variety of body armor that specifically protects against knife attacks and, depending on the variant, less protection against bullets than a "bullet resistant vest".

sitruc and dapip repped this.
  9. Timon19

Timon19 Member+

Jun 2, 2007
    Akron, OH
    ...and I had never heard the term before it was posted here. I am sorry.

Yoshou repped this.
  10. Deadtigers

Deadtigers Member+

Jul 23, 2015
    Independent Republic of the Bronx, NY
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ghana
    My uncle, the woman he is with and her kid all tested positive. They were tested at the hospital then sent back home as the signs didnt warrant staying. Make of it what you will. So now we wait.

Chris M., charlie15, spejic and 3 others repped this.
  11. dapip

dapip Member+

Sep 5, 2003
    South Florida
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Cuomo and other NE governors are holding a press conference on their coordinated plan to re open the economy.

Secession seems to be the next step...

charlie15 repped this.
  12. Yoshou

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No.. It isn't.

ceezmad and appwrangler repped this.
  13. Q*bert Jones III

Q*bert Jones III The People's Poet

Feb 12, 2005
    Woodstock, NY
    Club:
    DC United
    I'm fine with that.

The last time around, half the country wanted the other half to stay. This time around, both sides know they'd be happier without the other. The northeast and the west coast would turn into Scandinavian-style social democracies with the finest infrastructure, human capital, and forward thinking government. And the South can have their slaves back.

dapip and mbar repped this.
  14. bostonsoccermdl

bostonsoccermdl Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 3, 2002
    Denver, CO
    As long as you aren't role playing in Deshaan.. That's when stuff starts to get creepy...:whistling:

15. LastBoyscout

LastBoyscout Member+

Mar 6, 2013
    I understand your mistrust, but that study is real. It's done by Hendrik Streeck a professor of virology and head of the department of virology at a German University. He also worked at the Harvard Medical School and Johns Hopkins University in the past. They picked one of the worst hit parts of Germany and are planning to follow 1000 people representative for German demographics as a whole over a period of time to figure out how the virus spreads and which precautionary measures work best and which don't.
    Also they wanted to figure out how many people are/where infected without knowing it so they did an antibody test as well as a virus test and found out that about 14% of their sample population has antibodies already. Officially 0,6% of people in that district have tested positive for the virus. So the number of infected at least in that strongly hit district seems to be more than 20 times higher than official testing has confirmed. If you factor in all those people of course the mortality rate plummets. And yeah, even then it's still considerably higher than the flu...

The reason you can't find the study online is that it isn't out yet, Streeck presented some preliminary findings at a press conference.

A similar study is currently conducted in Munich. With the combined findings we'll have a better picture.

The differences in death rate are more easily explained with differences in testing. Japan is testing as little as possible, so they get less confirmed cases and less confirmed covid deaths.
    Numbers coming out of China are pretty much not usable for comparison halfway through the rise of infections in Wuhan they changed how they reported cases. They simply excluded all people that tested positive but didn't have strong symptoms. Mainly for propaganda reasons I assume. Can't trust the death figures as well. They're not even doing it for the rest of the world it's for their own population, their failed hush up tactics where a huge propaganda blunder, they need to fix that and they are.

I haven't looked into it extensively but last time I checked all known strains where 7 or less mutations removed from the original which is basically nothing. A mutation that changes how the virus spreads or how dangerous it gets would most likely need a large structural change in the virus hull or in the way it behaves once it infects someone. That's not very likely something to be overlooked.

Diet could actually be a big factor. Overweight, Coronary Disease and Diabetes have been identified as risk factors for a more severe covid infection. And all those things are more prevalent in the western world than they are in east asia.

Taken right from the New Scientist article:
    "The differences between the two identified strains are tiny. In fact, they can’t really be considered to be separate “strains”, says Jones. And many of the genetic differences won’t affect the production of proteins, and so won’t change the way the virus works, or the symptoms it causes, he says. One is not more deadly than the other."

16. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Not just that, but we're going to take more risks over time. The only way to prevent death is a vaccine and society won't shut down to this extent until one arrives. It will start to open up, taking more chances. Presumably intelligent and well monitored chances. But some will die because of those chances.

17. Timon19

Timon19 Member+

Jun 2, 2007
    Akron, OH
    We currently sit at 23115 overall, total.

18. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The UK has a huge problem with knife crime and no problem with gun crime, so it makes sense that they would use a different type of body armo(u)r.

Deadtigers repped this.
  19. Yoshou

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's only the ones that have died in hospitals and, in many states, only included ones that had confirmed cases. It generally does not include people that died outside of hospitals (home, care centers, etc, etc). As an example, a week ago NY wasn't including people that died at home in their numbers and that was in the hundreds per day. NY did say they would start counting the ones that were presumed covid-19 deaths at some point, but I'm not sure if that number has been updated yet.

https://gothamist.com/news/death-co...uspected-covid-deaths-addition-confirmed-ones

If NY is any indication, the actual count could be 1/4 to 1/3 higher than the official totals.

Deadtigers, russ and dapip repped this.
  20. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Maybe but we only have official numbers to go by which is 23,036 deaths total.

21. Timon19

Timon19 Member+

Jun 2, 2007
    Akron, OH
    Great. So if we take unrealistically large margins, Brummie might, possibly be right at the current moment. Maybe.

But that would be complete and utter speculation.

I'm not sure why, in response to him saying > 23,000 Americans over 65 have already died, my reply that simply 23,115 have died as of now, currently counted, overall warrants that much of a writeup. Do you not trust that I know there are limits to how things are counted? I think we've been around the block enough for that to not be the case.

22. Timon19

Timon19 Member+

Jun 2, 2007
    Akron, OH
    Let's see if you'll get the same, long (informative!) response from Yoshou.

23. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The guy in my building at work is negative.

Whew!

ElNaranja, Ismitje, sitruc and 11 others repped this.
  24. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Dr. Wankler and dapip repped this.
  25. Bluto11

Bluto11 The sky is falling!

May 16, 2003
    Chicago, IL
    #10250 Bluto11, Apr 13, 2020
    Last edited: Apr 13, 2020
    Where's Walia? His precious model at the IHME projected 777 deaths in Illinois by August 4th and we just hit 794. Model also hasn't been updated in 3 days. Which is odd because they were updating it daily.

edit: Speak of the devil, they just updated it. 1200 and some change now, I really hope that number is accurate. Also looks like they cleaned up some past data that had IL’s peak at 154 per day a few days ago.