NSR: Coronavirus: A global Pandemic.

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by dapip, Feb 26, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Smurfquake

Smurfquake Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 8, 2000
    San Carlos, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hey, a bunch of union people fought and died for our right to have a weekend. Just because companies now are all, "you must be available 24/7 especially because you're working from home" doesn't erase their sacrifice. (In my household, the only difference between a weekday and a weekend is that my kid's school isn't assigning new stuff on a weekend.)

sitruc, rslfanboy, Kazuma and 4 others repped this.
  2. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Perhaps not so much for the rights of product developers making $150k, but sure, we'll go with that.

Deadtigers, Dr. Wankler and Smurfquake repped this.
  3. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think it will have to be phased in state by state.

4. roby

roby Member+

SIRLOIN SALOON FC, PITTSFIELD MA
    Feb 27, 2005
    So Cal
    Understandable......not too many do! :confused:

[​IMG]

usscouse and Deadtigers repped this.
  5. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't think there is an "on average" situation. On Friday my local Home Depot is limiting the number of shoppers to 100 while the supermarket right next door was crowded.

spejic repped this.
  6. Timon19

Timon19 Member+

Jun 2, 2007
    Akron, OH
    Maybe I'm not being clear: if you take an establishment that was previously open 14 hours and instead shrink its opening hours to 10, that encourages people who may want or need to go there to go in closer proximity to other people who want or need the same, necessarily. Obviously that presupposes similar demand. Another side effect of contracting hours, though, is a perception of scarcity, which can paradoxically (usually temporarily) increase demand.

"Rationing" customers also has side effects, putting the people there in more unusual contact with others, for example (i.e. queuing just to get in the door, then queuing to get out).

charlie15 repped this.
  7. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Yeah, that's what i said before.

But it's not just tourism. It's pretty much ALL movement of people.

Obviously it depends what assumptions you make but if around 20-30% of people are asymptomatic and, (even if only theoretically), able to transmit the virus if it's in it's early stages, you can't have them flooding in and out every day without pretty substantial checks.

Heathrow, on it's own, handles millions of passenger every year from outside the UK, i.e. outside of the UK epidemiological area.

The only way it could work is if the EU became one giant area for epidemiological purposes and then, who decides what happens in it?

I mean, leaving aside brexit for a minute, how exactly would this work even if we were still IN the EU? Someone has to decide policies for the entire area because, y'know... people get a bit tetchy when their gran starts dying.

At least with the US they're one country, (well... sorta!!!). IOW there are structures in place which can theoretically decide what happens but the EU is the past master at fudges to get an 'agreement'. That's fine most of the time but with something like THIS???

I dunno!

I see problems ahead unless there is strong leadership and agreement which, up until now, has been lacking.

8. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    That's an interesting aspect that hasn't been discussed much in the media.

We visited Asda, (a slightly posher Walmart.. but not by much), recently and instead of having 'customer service' personnel, they now have 'customer service officers'. Guys in black stab vests, outside and inside the shop.

That's... er... a 'change', shall we say, in their customer facing policy.

spejic, Deadtigers and Dr. Wankler repped this.
  9. luftmensch

luftmensch Member+

United States
    May 4, 2006
    Petaluma
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A Trader Joe's near me has actually marked out 6 foot increments on the sidewalk outside, and has tape on the floor for the inside lines, so that alleviates the close queuing issue. I had to wait about 20 minutes to get in the other day, annoying but it would otherwise have been ridiculously crowded inside.

Costco on the other hand hasn't done that, and I had a woman crowding my ass while waiting to get in a couple weeks ago. Fortunately I'd already grabbed a shopping cart so was able to use it to preserve my precious 6 foot radius.

sitruc and spejic repped this.
  10. Timon19

Timon19 Member+

Jun 2, 2007
    Akron, OH
    I think I understand these words on their own. But together...

Talk about "separated by a common language".

Also, what is it about the change to "officers" that is alarming? I mean, it sounds vaguely sinister, but I'm not really sure. Do they actually, like, have arrest powers?

11. Timon19

Timon19 Member+

Jun 2, 2007
    Akron, OH
    Lowe's and Home Depot do, too. Lowe's last weekend didn't bother with the queuing to get in, so I picked them. I'm not queuing to get inside a store for which I will immediately make a beeline for the damn outdoors section anyway - which is literally outdoors...

If you think tape on the floor is a deterrent...though when I was there, people were overly respectful of it.

spejic repped this.
  12. Boandlkramer

Boandlkramer Member+

Apr 9, 2009
    Samma Weltmeister!
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Walmart has been inconsistent. Last week they were counting people and stopping entry until people exited.

This week, like “before” but half of us were wearing masks....

Fk Colorado....I hate these people

spejic repped this.
  13. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm suspicious not because it is a Pakistani article written in English about a German study, but because they don't name the study nor link to it. A quick google shows it is misleading about the information.

https://www.businessinsider.com/dea...ory-city-5x-less-than-national-average-2020-4

Overall, Germany has had more than 113,000 confirmed cases of the disease, but just 2,349 deaths. According to the Johns Hopkins coronavirus center, the German mortality rate for the disease is 2.1%, much lower than Italy, which has a 12.7% mortality rate from the disease, and the UK, which has an 11.6% mortality rate.

14. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    But, really, I poked my head to post this:

https://www.cnn.com/2020/04/12/business/meat-plant-closures-smithfield/index.html

"The closure of this facility, combined with a growing list of other protein plants that have shuttered across our industry, is pushing our country perilously close to the edge in terms of our meat supply," the meat processor's chief executive, Kenneth Sullivan, said in a statement Sunday.

"It is impossible to keep our grocery stores stocked if our plants are not running," he said. "These facility closures will also have severe, perhaps disastrous, repercussions for many in the supply chain."

@American Brummie we are gonna be just fine (Yeah, I know you are in the UK).

ChrisSSBB repped this.
  15. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    I mean ... they had to do it by then. They couldn't hide it after Li Wenliang blew the whistle. And he blows the whistle on Dec 30th, then China notifies WHO on Dec 31st .... interesting timing. :whistling:

The question becomes, is China's timeline of notifying WHO reasonable given cases started in mid to late Nov ? You see a lot of people already pointing at that time frame as a concerted effort from the Chinese Government to suppress information. Fact is, most people pointing that out are probably speaking out of their asses. Somebody with some expertise in the field would need to comment. But the fact they still tried to suppress the doctor who blew the whistle is damning.

I also saw a claim that the WHO was given 2 days to visit Wuhan ... and it was basically just meetings. This guy, Gordan Chang, who's half Chinese has a pretty strong anti-China Gov. stance, so I took it with a grain of salt since I couldn't confirm it. But just today I came across an interview from a guy who works at WHO saying they were granted access to Wuhan in mid Feb. ... no talks about length of stay. But he did say that in their mandate, it does not include ability to study an outbreak locally inside a country. They are reliant on Government's willingly and transparently sharing data. Now how useless is that ?

16. charlie15

charlie15 Member+

Mar 9, 2000
    Bethesda, Md
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Dude, you are posting a lot of informations, would help if you have link/sources.
    Anyway, the WHO has a timeline of their activities in China including visits to Wuhan as early as January. It was not hard to find. By the way, the WHO has a large field office in China.
    For that matter, the CDC has a large office as well in China whose role was to keep track, study world and and help stop outbreaks of contagious diseases from spreading. It has worked in China for 30 years. This office was decimated last year by the Trump administration.
    https://www.who.int/news-room/detail/08-04-2020-who-timeline---covid-19

Deadtigers repped this.
  17. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    @4:40

18. charlie15

charlie15 Member+

Mar 9, 2000
    Bethesda, Md
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    An other good paper from the NYT, this time on the US Theodore Roosevelt / Capt Crozier fiasco.

The Jitty Slitter repped this.
  19. charlie15

charlie15 Member+

Mar 9, 2000
    Bethesda, Md
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not sure what you deem controversial here. He said they didn't have any restriction in Feb and the delegation had a number of experts including the US.

20. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Thanks for the link. So they were literally 1 day in Wuhan in February.

21. charlie15

charlie15 Member+

Mar 9, 2000
    Bethesda, Md
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You are welcome. They had two formal visits, 1 in January and 1 in Feb. Honestly though, I am not sure what your point is? Is it that China was not fully transparent early on? That is even an understatement.

22. chaski

chaski Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 20, 2000
    redacted
    Club:
    Lisburn Distillery FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Turks and Caicos Islands
    Here’s one of them

[​IMG]

ElNaranja, sitruc, Chris M. and 4 others repped this.
  23. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Only describes "brief visit" in Jan. Very vague. Point is they seem to be pretty limited in this case if they are mostly relying on 2nd hand data.

24. JamesA

JamesA Member+

Dec 7, 2004
    Victoria
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    On this topic, I see China are trying to shut down all research into the virus origins from within China.

Now THAT makes me skeptical.

No way they go to such extreme to defend culture aspects like bat soup.

I do wonder, what else are they trying to hide? Perhaps this truly was a lab accident of sorts?

25. The Jitty Slitter

The Jitty Slitter Moderator
    Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    From what I read from the anoraks. no one believes a lab could make this virus

charlie15 and Deadtigers repped this.