NSR: Coronavirus: A global Pandemic.

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by dapip, Feb 26, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    The problem with option 2 is that I'm wonder how committed we are to the word "temporarily". Can we trust the government to give us back our privacies and freedoms?

Even before coronavirus, we were trending towards more interference and surveillance from the government (as well as from private entities). This fight against the pandemic is justifying an acceleration of that trend.

So, how do we fight it, after the coronavirus threat is over?

blissett repped this.
  2. roby

roby Member+

SIRLOIN SALOON FC, PITTSFIELD MA
    Feb 27, 2005
    So Cal
    I'm sure if you had noticed the grainy photo...it was from the 60's when we were still in the hunt. :cool:

3. Timon19

Timon19 Member+

Jun 2, 2007
    Akron, OH
    A side effect of limiting hours is encouraging crowding.

Deadtigers repped this.
  4. Yoshou

Yoshou Fan of the CCL Champ

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If you had a really bad case of the flu at the end of last year or the early part of January, even if it included respiratory issues, it is highly unlikely that you’ve already had the coronavirus. Scientists in Seattle have tested 3,600 samples collected at the end of the year from people with flu like symptoms and none of them tested positive for the virus that causes covid19. Additionally, genomic tracing shows a direct connection between the virus circulating around the world and initial viruses from Wuhan..

luftmensch and stanger repped this.
  5. JamesA

JamesA Member+

Dec 7, 2004
    Victoria
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    We have had this issue where I live.

We have a significant amount of 60+ folk here, because we have by far the most temperate climate in Canada. We barely get snow.

But, the help the seniors, grocery stores introduced senior only hour from like 8am to 9am.

Trouble is, all the seniors went at this time and it backfired. My mom and MIL hated it. My mom got yelled at by another senior as she turned the wrong way down an aisle (we have arrows in all grocery stores now to direct people around).

She almost cried in the store.

6. I guess these people have lacking short/medium term memory functions (bad food/booze/meth..?), so what's coming up is new for them and doesnot contradict what has been put forward before as that simply doesnot exist in their brain. Combine that with their confirmation bias and it's the perfect crowd for the Conman.

7. Yoshou

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And.. in response to people’s desire to let everyone out of their homes and get back to normal. It would be disastrous to do that without a robust test, trace, and isolate program in place. Something that the US is nowhere near getting in place and just flinging the doors open will result in a lot of worst case scenarios coming true.

8. The key to solve this is mass testing to separate the uninfected/cured people from infected ones. That makes it much easier to make more or less sure you're not letting people walk around, who unknowingly are biological bombs ticking to explode.

mbar and charlie15 repped this.
  9. JamesA

JamesA Member+

Dec 7, 2004
    Victoria
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    If volume wasnt an issue, what's the turn around time on the most accurate tests we have?

@Yoshou

Deadtigers repped this.
  10. charlie15

charlie15 Member+

Mar 9, 2000
    Bethesda, Md
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    She nailed it. Those who are calling to have life back to "normal" (whatever that means) seem to forget that the current mitigation measures in place are the only thing keeping us from a major disaster with hospitals being overwhelmed and health care systems disintegrating.
    As her hashtag said, #TestTraceIsolate is the only viable option until a vaccine is found. Anything else is gambling with people lives at this point.

11. ChrisSSBB

ChrisSSBB Member+

Jun 22, 2005
    DE
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Deadtigers, Dr. Wankler and Boandlkramer repped this.
  12. Yoshou

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #10087 Yoshou, Apr 12, 2020
    Last edited: Apr 12, 2020
    From what I’ve seen it can be anywhere from a few days to over a week. Primarily that is because the tests aren’t being processed at the point of collection, so it can take several days to get the samples to the labs that are doing the testing and then several more days depending upon how backlogged the labs are.

The recently approved Abbott machines are a massive improvement, but there are only a few thousand of those available, they only process one sample at a time, and their accuracy has not been determined. I can’t remember who it was, but someone in this thread said their wife was setting up one in her hospital and they were getting back negative results on people they were sure had covid-19...

russ and dapip repped this.
  13. Walia Ibex

Walia Ibex Red Card

Arsenal
    Ethiopia
    Oct 2, 2019
    I'm sorry but who the hell are you exactly? Lol your irrelevant poli sci tropes and theories are laughable. Come with facts or leave. I posted links in prior posts on how Covid19 deaths are a miniscule percentage of overall deaths by month in the US by the numbers and how experts are saying we are overcounting deaths. That this shutdown based on 2% rate increase in deaths in March is a vast overreaction, and what do you come up with to refute that? Nothing but point to a few dozen elderly people and single living individuals dying in their homes in NYC as proof of a vast undercount. Ok good job at anecdotal evidence of nothing out of the ordinary which as nothing to do with national numbers.

The cherry picking and gaslighting amongst the group think contigent here is real and amusing. I also really enjoy the obscure and nonsensical medical, sociological and political terms and verbage you all ascribe at me it is quite hilarious. You can faux diagnose away, your are still wrong.

14. Dage

Dage Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 4, 2008
    Berlin
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I'm not sure how familiar you fellow Americans are with King Crimson but I have to think a lot of this band and it's lyrics the last 2 years. They're so insanely timeless and up to date but these British wrote these lyrics as teenagers in the late 60s of the last century..

King Crimson - 21st Century Schizoid Man

Cat's foot iron claw
    Neurosurgeons scream for more
    At paranoia's poison door
    Twenty first century schizoid man

Blood rack, barbed wire
    Politicians' funeral pyre
    Innocents raped with napalm fire

Death seed blind man's greed
    Poets starving, children bleed
    Nothing he's got he really needs

King Crimson - Epitaph

The wall on which the prophets wrote
    Is cracking at the seams
    Upon the instruments of death
    The sunlight brightly gleams
    When every man is torn apart
    With nightmares and with dreams
    Will no one lay the laurel wreath
    When silence drowns the screams

Confusion will be my epitaph
    As I crawl a cracked and broken path
    If we make it, we can all sit back and laugh
    But I fear, tomorrow, I'll be crying
    Yes, I fear, tomorrow, I'll be crying
    Yes, I fear, tomorrow, I'll be crying

Between the iron gates of fate
    The seeds of time were sown
    And watered by the deeds of those
    Who know and who are known
    Knowledge is a deadly friend
    If no one sets the rules
    The fate of all mankind, I see
    Is in the hands of fools

and finally the last stanza of In The Court Of The Crimson King

On soft grey mornings widows cry,
    The wise men share a joke;
    I run to grasp divining signs
    To satisfy the hoax.
    The yellow jester does not play
    But gently pulls the strings
    And smiles as the puppets dance
    In the court of the crimson king.

These lads are still pretty much on point if you ask me.

luftmensch, russ and Dr. Wankler repped this.
  15. dapip

dapip Member+

Sep 5, 2003
    South Florida
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    That was me. The issue was that the test was set up with samples from before March 15, so if the virus mutates, it’s very likely that it will not be detected. It could be many other issues (flu, bad sample), but given that they were triaging patients before requesting the test, it seems to me that mutation is a likely reason for negative results.

But yeah, results take 15 minutes to run.

Yoshou repped this.
  16. JamesA

JamesA Member+

Dec 7, 2004
    Victoria
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Science is so ********ing cool.

While we will never know, I'd be fascinated to know how this virus would have compared to the spanish flu back in 1918, with their level of scientific understanding and technology at that time.

Deadtigers and The Jitty Slitter repped this.
  17. There's something weird going on. Either the whole lot of you are rehashing posts from a couple of days ago or BS servers are doing strange things as I read a whole lot of things you guys have been posting days ago too.

18. I've got this record lying around somewhere:
    [​IMG]

But then again, I'm no american.

19. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    #10094 JohnR, Apr 12, 2020
    Last edited: Apr 12, 2020
    I can't tell you how many people I've met who think they had COVID-19 in January or February. Could they have had it? Sure. The first recorded Illinois case was January 24th. There were 20 cases by March 1st. But even allowing for many times more untested cases than tested cases, those are still pretty long odds for a state with 13 million residents.

Yoshou repped this.
  20. Cascarino's Pizzeria

Apr 29, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    Is that taking too many horseshoes to the head? There's always some drunk at the picnic who wanders into the throwing lane

song219 and charlie15 repped this.
  21. The Jitty Slitter

The Jitty Slitter Moderator
    Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    Dude you have 1000 deaths per day

Worse than italy despite advance warning

sitruc and charlie15 repped this.
  22. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Two of our high school shotputters once played catch with the put. They would hold two hands out in front of their heads to catch it. After a couple of throws, the put slipped through the one guy's hands and went CRACK! on his forehead. Luckily for him he had slowed his descent so he was just knocked out, not keeled.

Dumbass weight men.

sitruc, song219, Deadtigers and 3 others repped this.
  23. Yoshou

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My issue with this explanation is that the virus has not mutated that much. At least, not enough that it shouldn’t be detectable.. It may point to a fidelity issue, in that they are looking for exact matches and aren’t allowing for mutations. That would seem to be an issue.

24. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You won't have crowding if you limit access.

25. Timon19

Timon19 Member+

Jun 2, 2007
    Akron, OH
    You will in your parking lot.

almango repped this.