NSR: Coronavirus: A global Pandemic.

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by dapip, Feb 26, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. InTheSun

InTheSun Member+

Oct 20, 2005
    The Andes Mountains
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador
    Probably the same guy that coined "Whoever drives slower than me is an idiot. Whoever drives faster is a maniac". :)

Deadtigers and stanger repped this.
  2. Boandlkramer

Boandlkramer Member+

Apr 9, 2009
    Samma Weltmeister!
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
  3. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Ezra is a bright guy, he is usually spot on. I would simplify his options from three to two.

1) Let this thing wash, as Trump would say, with the resultant deaths.

2) Or become China, South Korea, Singapore, and so forth, with the public understanding that privacy will temporarily be no more.

Deadtigers, charlie15 and Smurfquake repped this.
  4. Yoshou

Yoshou Fan of the CCL Champ

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That’s why I said “how”. As you noted, just flinging the door open gets us back to where we were back in Feb and will likely result in the numbers to fly off the chart, just with, perhaps, 15% of the population immune after already having it.

I’m also not convinced 2 and 3 are options for the US. Americans won’t accept even the amount of monitoring SKorea does. If 2 is implemented, it will likely be a lesser version where after they find someone that has been infected, they try to track down and contain the people they have contact with and it will likely rely upon the infected person to remember their actions over the last few weeks. That’s basically a variant of 3, but even then, people will slip through the cracks.

Deadtigers and Smurfquake repped this.
  5. Cascarino's Pizzeria

Apr 29, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    Think the privacy boat has sailed years ago. We're tracked by every website, cops can follow you around every big city and everyone has a Ring doorbell now

6. Boandlkramer

Boandlkramer Member+

Apr 9, 2009
    Samma Weltmeister!
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Once that door opens there’s no undoing it. There were a few Governors that shut down their own states after procrastinating as long as they could....

Deadtigers and charlie15 repped this.
  7. charlie15

charlie15 Member+

Mar 9, 2000
    Bethesda, Md
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Food for thought.

I fear, if we open up too early, and we have not sufficiently made that health recovery and cracked the back of this virus, that we could be pouring gasoline on the fire, even inadvertently.”
    — New Jersey Gov. Phil Murphy (D), quoted by Politico.

Deadtigers and Boandlkramer repped this.
  8. Timon19

Timon19 Member+

Jun 2, 2007
    Akron, OH
    :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

blissett repped this.
  9. stanger

stanger BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 29, 2008
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Neither has given a reason to be trustworthy.

Deadtigers and usscouse repped this.
  10. luftmensch

luftmensch Member+

United States
    May 4, 2006
    Petaluma
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Unless he doesn't have internet, not quite convinced this qualifies. Hell, I know somebody who lives alone and is having Zoom dance parties with her fellow extroverted friends.

Deadtigers repped this.
  11. usscouse

usscouse BigSoccer Supporter

May 3, 2002
    Orygun coast
    How come you have a photo of my granddaughter?

Deadtigers repped this.
  12. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Let the states take care of it. The states have been doing a far better job so far than the feds, at least in the Northeast.

That may mean limiting interstate travel for a while until neighboring states meet a defined criteria.

New York State borders 5 states and 2 Canadian provinces.

13. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The UK reckons 1.5 million residents are at risk and has tried to warn them individually. As usual in the post-Brexit world its made a complete hash of it.

Anyway that's the equivalent of 7.5 million Americans.

The estimates I've seen for the US reckon between 11 and 90 million people are at risk.

Hopefully the British model is closer despite the mess in the details.

14. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My honest answer is that I have the same trust in both, which is zero. Truth is an abstract concept to Trump.

But I do trust American journalism and the American bureaucracy more.

sitruc, MattR, onefineesq and 2 others repped this.
  15. Bootsy Collins

Bootsy Collins Player of the Year

Oct 18, 2004
    Capitol Hill
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That sounds like straight good news to me, not just sorta.

mbar repped this.
  16. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's straight good news if you believe that one day's numbers are reflective of a trend.

Deadtigers repped this.
  17. Bootsy Collins

Oct 18, 2004
    Capitol Hill
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There are other options. The one proposed by the Imperial College folks amounts to a tamped down version of #1: reopen, and shut back down again as soon as ICU admissions cross a pre-determined threshold. Since ICU admissions aee necessarily a lagging indicator, the threshold can't be too high. The problem with that scenario is that it's hard to see re-opening helping economic activity: who's going to risk investment when it could all be shut back down again in a month?

18. Bootsy Collins

Oct 18, 2004
    Capitol Hill
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I can think of one person who doesn't have a Ring doorbell, since I don't know what a Ring doorbell is.

Ismitje, song219, Deadtigers and 2 others repped this.
  19. Bootsy Collins

Oct 18, 2004
    Capitol Hill
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nah, fewer people going into the hospital is good news. Even if it's not part of a trend. Fewer hospitalizations today is fewer hospitalizations today.

20. stanger

stanger BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 29, 2008
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You trust American journalism as long as it is published in your preferred publication. (Not aimed at you Dave)

Which is really the problem. I was talking to my mom today, a devout FOX/Trump fan, and she said she was starting to think this was way overblown. I told her I would send her a video from Twitter of the ER nurse breaking down after a particularly bad shift where she lost numerous patients.

Her retort was that isn't happening here in Columbus. I told her it's because of the social distancing.

She got quiet, not because she believed me but because her pundits were telling her differently.

Ismitje, MattR, Q*bert Jones III and 7 others repped this.
  21. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think way more than 15% are immune otherwise we would have seen a lot more hospitalizations. Remember you can have carried the virus with zero or minor symptoms.

New Jersey's governor has asked companies to cut public transit capacity by 50%. That's a good move.

I think you could start by opening stores for a limited time period with a limited capacity.

For instance Home Depot is already limiting the number of customers to 100 and asking waiting customers to line up 6 feet apart.

In the running store I work in you we would ask customers not to bring in non- essential family members.

We have a big enough problem with kids running wild while their parents are fitted anyway and our owner would LOVE any excuse to ban kids.

Here are some ideas.

• Stores, libraries to open a set number of hours a day.
    • Stores limit the number of customers.
    • Customers are asked not to bring family members unless absolutely necessary (parents allowed, limits on partners and kids).
    • Railway and subway stations to limit the number of waiting passengers.
    • Offices to open but employees that have been working from home should continue to do so.
    • Schools remain closed.
    • Colleges and universities continue to teach courses online.
    • Tourist attractions continue to remain closed.
    • Interstate transport to be limited to essential traffic.

22. Cascarino's Pizzeria

Apr 29, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    qzklf1xta4931.jpg

ElNaranja, sitruc, usscouse and 3 others repped this.
  23. Cascarino's Pizzeria

Apr 29, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    Hold on. Isn't NJ Transit always running at 50% capacity?

- A luckily formerly dissatisfied NJ Transit bus customer

sitruc, song219, Deadtigers and 2 others repped this.
  24. Yoshou

Yoshou Fan of the CCL Champ

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I’m going off if what the scientists are saying.. your just speculating. Seriously, it’s like people have no concept of the impact that social distancing has had... yes, we are still getting infections, but it is at a significantly slower rate and there is literally no way that it has hit the 60%-70% required for herd immunity. From what I’ve seen, the drop has been pretty significant from around R3 (meaning for every infected person, they infect 3 people, which ramps up to infecting 50k people in short order) to around R1-1.5 (which ramps up to only a few hundred and is on the order of the common flu).

charlie15 repped this.
  25. Deadtigers

Deadtigers Member+

Jul 23, 2015
    Independent Republic of the Bronx, NY
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ghana
    You remind me of a guy on another forum who is horseshoe theory personified but even worse. You have gone full Greenwald, is the another way I can put it.

There has been limited testing and undercounting of deaths. We know this based on the reported increase of NYC residents dying at home this year compared to last year. And finally Dr. Fauci said if your doing it right it will look like an overreaction. I mean by your logic we should lose enough seat belt laws and DWI laws because more people die in cars then by guns as opposed to the fact that all these laws are what allows us to even keep the number of car deaths close to the number of gun deaths and maybe we should do the same with guns.

sitruc, Chris M., onefineesq and 3 others repped this.