NSR: Coronavirus: A global Pandemic.

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by dapip, Feb 26, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dapip

dapip Member+

Sep 5, 2003
    South Florida
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    The difference is that the wealthy now are rich in intangibles and can pit one poor country against another. If anything we’ll be poorer as a result of the pandemic:

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-health-coronavirus-poverty-idUSKCN21R0E7

Under the most serious scenario - a 20% contraction in income - the number of people living in extreme poverty would rise by 434 million people to nearly 1.2 billion worldwide. The same scenario would see the number of people living below the $5.50 a day threshold rise by 548 million people to nearly 4 billion.

Women are at more risk than men, as they are more likely to work in the informal economy with little or no employment rights.

“Living day to day, the poorest people do not have the ability to take time off work, or to stockpile provisions,” the report warned, adding that more than 2 billion informal sector workers worldwide had no access to sick pay.

2. bostonsoccermdl

bostonsoccermdl Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 3, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Regulation? What does "LOLGOP" (whoever THAT constitutes) recommend? What exactly has to be further regulated?

Sounds like a bunch of occupy wall st idiots who didn't make fools of themselves enough the first time around coming back for seconds....

ceezmad repped this.
  3. Kazuma

Kazuma Member+

Chelsea
    Jul 30, 2007
    Detroit
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Two-three weeks before it got serious, my employers were in the midst of implementing a permanent work from home program. My date to move my stuff was about a week and half before it.

I've only left my home to get groceries or go for a walk. So far, my biggest pet peeve when I go to the store is people standing around taking their time looking at ingredients.

spejic and The Jitty Slitter repped this.
  4. The Devil's Architect

Feb 10, 2000
    The American Steppe
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And? Their money spends just as well as North Texas Bluehairs

Deadtigers repped this.
  5. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  6. Deadtigers

Deadtigers Member+

Jul 23, 2015
    Independent Republic of the Bronx, NY
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ghana
    Dead churchgoers can donate to the collection plate! Duh!

7. roby

roby Member+

SIRLOIN SALOON FC, PITTSFIELD MA
    Feb 27, 2005
    So Cal
    Same with Wifey...she also uses THC. They work better than any other meds she was prescribed in the past 25 years. :coffee:

ChrisSSBB and luftmensch repped this.
  8. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Took a walk, Raw day, not many out, just a few other foolish souls and kids, because kids gonna kid. The landscapers were working, all Mexican of course. The construction guys, ditto. Went to the local gourmet food store, which has been around so long that it was a gourmet food store before there were such things. The normally mostly white staff ain't working there no more. They have better things to do than to get sick. The help was 100% Mexican, nobody was speaking English but me.

Immigrants .... well, you know what they get done.

Deadtigers, raza_rebel, InTheSun and 3 others repped this.
  9. Deadtigers

Deadtigers Member+

Jul 23, 2015
    Independent Republic of the Bronx, NY
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ghana
    Sorry to hear, friend. My condolences.

onefineesq repped this.
  10. Yoshou

Yoshou Fan of the CCL Champ

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It’s not about saving money. It’s about reducing the number of tests that are run so the White House can claim that they have bent the curve and that the country can re-open.

Deadtigers, soccernutter, dapip and 3 others repped this.
  11. The Devil's Architect

Feb 10, 2000
    The American Steppe
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    See Disenrollment / Termination Period - Indian Affairs, Bureau of

12. Bootsy Collins

Bootsy Collins Player of the Year

Oct 18, 2004
    Capitol Hill
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ever-ready Clorox wet wipes = contradiction. For most people, Clorox wet wipes cannot be "ever-ready" since most people haven't seen them available for purchase in a store in over a month.

13. onefineesq

onefineesq Member+

Sep 16, 2003
    Laurel, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    100%. The numbers are not counted if there is no testing to confirm the patient had covid-19. This is pathetic.

russ repped this.
  14. How is middle class defined in the States if there's no financial freedom to a certain degree attached to it?

15. russ

russ Member+

Feb 26, 1999
    Canton,NY
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have enough money to sit here in a lobby and have sensors replaced on my car.We have not had to stockpile or panic buy and we are adequately supplied.
    Solidly middle class.

16. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Yep. And "lower middle class," which I discussed, means no such nest egg, living pretty much from paycheck to paycheck. Which is disproportionately the people who are losing their jobs, those and the outright poor. Retail workers, restaurant workers, taxi drivers, salon assistants, and so forth.

dapip repped this.
  17. I saw on tv a report on church goers in the States. It showed a freaking traffic jam.
    The reporter said something to a woman in a car (dunno what) but her response was that she was covered in the blood of Christ. I guess she means she's protected to the virus that way.
    Well. Maybe it's time for her to read some history books. In the middle ages churches all over the world were loaded with people and in Europe you practically had a church every so many streets. That didnot stop the plague to wipe out about 25 to 50 million people in Europe.It took 200 years to make up for the lost population.

18. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I just need to vent a bit.

So, like I said, someone in our building probably has it. I'm new at this job, 5 months this week. I lead almost 20 people. I'm still figuring out how they do things here, and my division, well, they have a reputation in our department, and that reputation is suboptimal.

At my old job, I knew that shit backwards and forwards. I'd done every job. I almost never made a decision in the sense of looking at a new problem. It was 99%, remember the policies or rules or precedent and regurgitate it.

I was happy here the first several months because I was recharged. It took coming here to realize how stale I was back there.

But with this corona crap, it's just overwhelming. I'm literally making more decisions in a day than I used to make in a month, by the definition above. Now many of the staff are freaking out, and I'm supposed to be their rock. I'm decisioned out. It's just too hard. And it's frustrating, too, because I know that a decision I struggle with today is going to be moot in 2 days because we'll be in a new paradigm and I'll have to make yet more decisions.

Like, WFH. With the case in our building, we are literally on our 5th plan. And based on conversations today, I'm 90% sure plan 6 will be in place by next Wednesday at the latest.

That's why I'm desperate for weed. joking/not joking

Maybe CBDs will help. If they're deemed essential businesses.

Deadtigers, sitruc, Chicago76 and 9 others repped this.
  19. Chris M.

Chris M. Member+

Jan 18, 2002
    Chicago
    Excuse my French, but where the ******** is Congress? “Funding” is their role. If a President goes rogue, we NEED Congress to protect us.

Dr. Wankler repped this.
  20. Did you try banging your head on the desk yet?
    My advice: don't. It bloody hurts like hell.

Deadtigers repped this.
  21. chaski

chaski Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 20, 2000
    redacted
    Club:
    Lisburn Distillery FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Turks and Caicos Islands
    Yeah, but those were Catholic churches.

Deadtigers repped this.
  22. Knave

Knave Member+

May 25, 1999
    So, late last night I went onto the Costco website. And I couldn't believe my eyes! Clorox Wipes were available for order and delivery. So, I immediately put them in my cart and started to check out. I clicked the final button to complete the order, but instead of an order completion page, I got an error: due to inventory changes, Clorox Wipes are no longer available for order.

It was so damn demoralizing ...

Deadtigers and spejic repped this.
  23. bostonsoccermdl

bostonsoccermdl Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 3, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Sorry to hear about your situation, I can see why that is frustuating.

I liked CBD. The effects weren't dramatic, and I didn't notice any pain relief (off and on bad lower back/scoliosis). I did notice less anxiety and a better sense of well-being. (I know the well-being sounds like a cheesy sales pitch buzzword, but that is the best way to describe the subtle effect.)

Its worth a shot.

luftmensch repped this.
  24. chad

chad Member+

Jun 24, 1999
    Manhattan Beach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Read an article online about how great Evanston Hospital is doing with their procedures for testing. They interviewed a local about her experience (she tested negative). Said local had symptoms and was able to get a test and it all seemed sanitary and efficient.

Today saw said local woman’s 13 year old hanging out with the 13 year old who lives across the street from them.

Unreal.

russ repped this.
  25. dapip

dapip Member+

Sep 5, 2003
    South Florida
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
  26. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    None of those people were Catholics.

Deadtigers and soccernutter repped this.