Corona Virus Cancellations

Discussion in 'College & Amateur Soccer' started by collegesoccer, Mar 11, 2020.

1. Newports

Newports Member

Jan 19, 2012
  2. gauchodan

gauchodan Member+

Oct 18, 2016

The MAC is the first FBS conference to decide not to play. They lost a lot of guarantee money when the Big Ten eliminated non-conference games.

Men's soccer edges closer to no Tournament.

fknbuflobo repped this.
  3. gauchodan

gauchodan Member+

Oct 18, 2016
    The Big Ten is reportedly contemplating following the MAC and cancelling its football season. The Pac-12 followed the Big Ten when the latter chose to dump its non-conference games, and it could follow again. This morning's MAC announcement could be the domino that ends football, and any other fall sports still hanging on.

4. gauchodan

gauchodan Member+

Oct 18, 2016
    I believe the count of schools that have opted out is 96. There are 207 Division I schools that play men's soccer. You need 50% of the schools opting in to have a championship. Just eight more schools opting out will end it.

5. BigRedFootie

BigRedFootie Member+

Jan 31, 2003
    B-town
    I'd say that's a sure thing. One conference and boom!

6. BigRedFootie

BigRedFootie Member+

Jan 31, 2003
    B-town
    They are starting to focus on long-term physical issues in otherwise asymptomatic people. The B1G has "paused progress" in practices, meaning no moving to pads:
    https://www.si.com/college/iowa/football/big-ten-practices-080820
    Here's an article from SI about problems with myocarditis:
    https://www.si.com/college/2020/08/09/ncaa-cardiac-inflamation-coronavirus-myocarditis-concerns

7. Fish On

Fish On Member

Oct 22, 2016
    Club:
    AC Mantova
    "It's only a game. It's not life or death".....Maybe.....

collegesoccer repped this.
  8. BigRedFootie

BigRedFootie Member+

Jan 31, 2003
    B-town
    It looks like the Power 5 are about to either cancel fall sports or postpone them to the spring. :(

9. BigRedFootie

BigRedFootie Member+

Jan 31, 2003
    B-town
    12 of 14 B1G Presidents voted against fall sports. This is what Dan Patrick reports:

"Here's the information I got almost an hour ago," Patrick said. "The Big Ten and Pac 12 will cancel their football seasons tomorrow. The ACC and the Big 12 are on the fence. The SEC is trying to get a delay to have teams join them."

The source told Patrick: "Three Big Ten teams that I've spoken with said it's done." The source said the SEC is "trying to buy time" to see if schools from the ACC or Big 12 will join them in pursuit of playing this fall."

TimB4Last repped this.
  10. gauchodan

gauchodan Member+

Oct 18, 2016
  11. espola

espola Member+

Feb 12, 2006
    The obvious question is "who voted for fall sports?"

12. collegesoccer

collegesoccer Member+

Apr 11, 2005
    The entire Colonial is now out.

13. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    ODU is in CUSA, though. They are still playing, right?

14. collegesoccer

collegesoccer Member+

Apr 11, 2005
    With Mountain West canceling fall sports, I would imagine that takes out the three men's soccer teams Air Force, UNLV, and San Diego State that play in the WAC and Pac-12.

15. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    I'd assume.

We don't know what affiliates are doing but I can't imagine Howard (MEAC/Sun Belt) or the three MW schools you mentioned having soccer but no other sports.

So you can shelve those schools, too.

16. gauchodan

gauchodan Member+

Oct 18, 2016
    ODU is Conference USA in all sports.

17. gauchodan

gauchodan Member+

Oct 18, 2016
    Nebraska and Iowa.

TimB4Last repped this.
  18. collegesoccer

collegesoccer Member+

Apr 11, 2005
    Yes, but prior to today it was left up to the individual schools and some schools Elon, Charleston, UNCW had mentioned an intent to play. As of today, all of the schools canceled fall sports.

TimB4Last repped this.
  19. BW Walter

BW Walter New Member

Spurs
    United States
    Mar 5, 2020
    San Jose State is also a Mountain West school playing in the WAC

TimB4Last repped this.
  20. gauchodan

gauchodan Member+

Oct 18, 2016
    Those other schools are in the Colonial Athletic Association, not Conference USA.

21. BW Walter

BW Walter New Member

Spurs
    United States
    Mar 5, 2020
  22. collegesoccer

collegesoccer Member+

Apr 11, 2005
    I know. I was saying in addition to ODU of Conference USA being out, the entire Colonial has opted out as individual schools made their announcements yesterday. Prior to that, it was left up the schools individually and Elon, UNCW, C of C were thinking of playing.

TimB4Last repped this.
  23. BW Walter

BW Walter New Member

Spurs
    United States
    Mar 5, 2020
  24. BigRedFootie

BigRedFootie Member+

Jan 31, 2003
    B-town
    Nebraska and Iowa

25. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    And the PAC-12 is out.

That's gotta put us close to that Half The Programs threshold.

The only SEC schools that play men's soccer are Kentucky and South Carolina. The only Big 12 school that plays it is West Virginia and it plays soccer in a conference that's already punted.

So for men's soccer, the big remaining conferences are the ACC and the Big East. I think those dominoes fill fall this week but I also think they'll really try and work something out.