Corona Virus Cancellations

Discussion in 'College & Amateur Soccer' started by collegesoccer, Mar 11, 2020.

1. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    Well done.

2. collegesoccer

collegesoccer Member+

Apr 11, 2005
    ACC schools, Sun Belt, etc. closer than NIU...

3. ThePonchat

ThePonchat Member+

#ProRelForUSA
    United States
    Jan 10, 2013
    I've Been Everywhere Man
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Did any of those say they were only playing conference opponents?

4. BigRedFootie

BigRedFootie Member+

Jan 31, 2003
    B-town
    Now UNC has gone all-virtual due to a flare-up. Wonder what'll happen to their fall sports.

5. gauchodan

gauchodan Member+

Oct 18, 2016
    Interestingly, a few schools have posted schedules:

South Florida: 10-game, all-AAC schedule

UAB: 6-game CUSA schedule (does not include ODU) + 5 non-conference games (incl. UTRGV of WAC and Lipscomb of ASUN)

Central Arkansas: previously posted, and now amended to a 3-game Sun Belt schedule (does not include Howard) + 5 non-conference games (incl. Air Force and UTRGV of WAC, SIUE of MAC and Bellarmine of ASUN).

This confirms that Howard is not playing, dropping the conference-schedule-playing count down to 29.

It's possible that some of these non-conference matches may have been posted prior to conference postponement announcements. SIUE, for instance, is showing the Central Arkansas match as being postponed.

But some conferences have also left non-conference competition up to the individual schools. Air Force, for instance, is playing Navy and Army West Point in football despite the Mountain West Conference's fall postponement.

6. BW Walter

BW Walter New Member

Spurs
    United States
    Mar 5, 2020
    I think much of this will be amended once the NCAA comes out with "direction" for the fall season and the (hopefully) spring championship. If the NCAA does say that they plan to sponsor a spring championship I think that most of these programs will defer on their fall schedule so that they can be eligible for a spring NCAA tournament.

All of this is still just speculation until the NCAA provides some guidance.

7. gauchodan

gauchodan Member+

Oct 18, 2016
    Why can't a school play a fall schedule and be eligible for a spring championship?

JoeSoccerFan repped this.
  8. JoeSoccerFan

JoeSoccerFan Member+

Aug 11, 2000
    I was thinking the same thing. Play in the fall (IF SAFE TO DO SO) with a limited schedule and then supplement in the spring.

9. BW Walter

BW Walter New Member

Spurs
    United States
    Mar 5, 2020
    The NCAA has a limit on the number of days you can train and play during an academic year. If teams are training full-time now and planning on playing 10 games in the fall, that will eat up a significant portion of those days. The NCAA will also have a minimum number of games that a team must play (and a maximum that they are allowed to play) in order for that team to be eligible for the NCAA tournament. They may determine that only the games played in the spring will count towards that minimum, but all of the games may count towards the maximum. Those teams that play in the fall will likely run out of days that they are allowed to train and compete and they run the risk of both playing too many games and not enough games in the window that the NCAA has determined.

All of this is complete speculation until the NCAA provides guidance- but they are all also possible scenarios for the teams that choose to do their own thing outside of the NCAA parameters.

10. gauchodan

gauchodan Member+

Oct 18, 2016
    The NCAA will be issuing waivers, I would suppose. This is a unique season. Teams that are not playing may still be training as well.

11. BW Walter

BW Walter New Member

Spurs
    United States
    Mar 5, 2020
    I would be surprised if the waiver will include the time after the NCAA sets their "rules". Allowing teams to play a full season in the fall and then a full season in the spring would put those teams that didn't play in the fall at an enormous competitive disadvantage. I could certainly be wrong, but hopefully we'll know a whole lot more on Friday when the NCAA is supposed to be releasing their way forward.

12. JoeSoccerFan

JoeSoccerFan Member+

Aug 11, 2000
    BW - thanks for the input. It's another thing to consider. Much appreciated.

13. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 Member+

Jan 11, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  14. gauchodan

gauchodan Member+

Oct 18, 2016
    Conference USA moves to spring.

15. CaptainD

CaptainD Member

Oct 20, 2014
    NCAA just gave fall athletes an extra year of eligibility.

16. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
    An outline for soccer in the Spring ...
    • The NCAA Tournament will be held in the spring for both men’s and women’s Division I soccer.
    • Men’s and women’s NCAA D-I Tournaments will each feature 32 teams, including 16 Automatic Qualifiers and 16 At-Large Bids. (The usual field of teams is 48 for men’s and 64 for women’s. In the 32-team format, not all Division I conferences would receive an Automatic Qualifier).
    • D-I Conferences that choose to move forward with competition in Fall 2020 can count their fall results toward the Spring 2021 championship segment.
    • Teams may continue to train throughout the fall.
    • Division II and Division III will not hold NCAA Tournaments in the spring.
    https://www.soccerwire.com/news/rum...pring-soccer-season-format-as-early-as-today/

17. gauchodan

gauchodan Member+

Oct 18, 2016
    Which 8 conferences won't get auto bids?

18. gauchodan

gauchodan Member+

Oct 18, 2016
  19. jeffconn

jeffconn Member

Jul 25, 2004
    Norfolk, VA, USA
    Club:
    Hampton Roads Piranhas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #269 jeffconn, Aug 25, 2020
    Last edited: Aug 25, 2020
    So, the American has cancelled fall sports (except for American football). So this is what i have left:
    Atlantic Coast--12 schools.
    Sun Belt--4 schools.
    No idea about the service academies, Kentucky, South Carolina, or West Virginia men's soccer. There's nothing on their team websites, one way or the other.

As for women's soccer, the ACC, Sun Belt, Big XII, and SEC are still playing. Those are the only NCAA conferences playing Olympic sports in ANY division.

20. ThePonchat

ThePonchat Member+

#ProRelForUSA
    United States
    Jan 10, 2013
    I've Been Everywhere Man
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Conference USA made an announcement, wouldn't that be these two as well?

21. collegesoccer

collegesoccer Member+

Apr 11, 2005
    They are only in Conf USA for soccer and in SEC for everything else so technically could still play. Same with WVU being in Big 12. Not sure they have to adhere to their associate membership conference but most likely will not be playing.

22. ThePonchat

ThePonchat Member+

#ProRelForUSA
    United States
    Jan 10, 2013
    I've Been Everywhere Man
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes, I know this. But, if C-USA has made the announcement they aren't playing men's soccer...wouldn't that mean UK and South Carolina aren't playing this fall?

I mean, they could still play a non-conference schedule, but I'm not sure who's committed to that. Just like the MAC was one of the first to cancel, so that would essentially mean WVU is done on the men's side.

23. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    Theoretically, Kentucky, SC, WVU and the four Sun Belt schools - Georgia State, Georgia Southern, Coastal Carolina and Central Arkansas - could band together and play each other in a double round robin.

Winner takes on the ACC champ and, boom!, national title game!!!

24. Newports

Newports Member

Jan 19, 2012
    So the NC st females are out of fall action. I've checked a few rosters and as far as I've seen the men have been getting back to school. I didn't think visas were a problem.

25. PlaySimple

PlaySimple Member

Sep 22, 2016
    Chicagoland
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Newports made an observation about internationals not having a problem getting back to school and I'm wondering if some of the rosters were put out in anticipation of the internationals getting back to school.

Anyway, I looked at the NYIT website and it is interesting to note that 15 of the men on the soccer roster are internationals. Also there are a fair number of internationals participating in other sports at the school - particularly track and field and cross country.

FWIW, the above release state suspension of athletics for at least 2 years. Athletic scholarships will be honored.