Corona Virus Cancellations

Discussion in 'College & Amateur Soccer' started by collegesoccer, Mar 11, 2020.

1. collegesoccer

collegesoccer Member+

Apr 11, 2005
    Anyone hear any rumors or statements about spring season cancellations for the Corona Virus ?

2. OverseasView

OverseasView Member+

Olympique Lyonnais
    France
    Feb 3, 2013
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Here in Switzerland all games postponed until….. ?
    And it is the chaos in Italy, also Spain and France starting to cancel, postpone or play behind closed doors.
    Several games of UEFA competitions cancelled or postponed. e.g. AS Roma plane not allowed to land in Spain... etc
    ManCity-Arsenal postponed as some AFC players went close to a virus bearer and must be isolated. And we start to get news of pro players from different countries being tested positive.

I guess it will be the same in your country. MLS is lucky it is happening during their off-season.

We now do foot-check and no longer hand shakes or bisous. Tactile Frenchmen with football skills are advantaged…. Maybe a new trick to be a successful seducer ;):cool: I am rehearsing in my garden…..

3. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    Ivys cancelled all spring sports so I assume that means spring soccer.

4. Terrier1966

Terrier1966 Member

Nov 19, 2016
    Club:
    Aston Villa FC
    Indeed. No Ivy spring soccer.

5. WolverineFutbol

Aug 1, 2012

Dude you cracked me up! Love it!

OverseasView repped this.
  6. Roger Allaway

Roger Allaway Member+

Apr 22, 2009
    Warminster, Pa.
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ???

7. OverseasView

OverseasView Member+

Olympique Lyonnais
    France
    Feb 3, 2013
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    OOps sorry. Indeed it started already with TH14 coaching Montreal. Has the virus already attacked my memory cells…...:speechless:

8. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001

9. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    All of the ACC.

10. Almost done

Almost done Member

Juventus
    United States
    Oct 4, 2019
    NCAA cancels remaining winter and spring championships!

11. Almost done

Almost done Member

Juventus
    United States
    Oct 4, 2019
    Curious how eligibility will be handled for spring sport athletes? Really too bad for the seniors.

OverseasView and JoeSoccerFan repped this.
  12. fknbuflobo

fknbuflobo Member+

Arsenal FC
    United States
    Nov 16, 2011
    Akron, Ohio
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Your point still stands. Most MLS teams have played what, 3 matches?

OverseasView repped this.
  13. fknbuflobo

fknbuflobo Member+

Arsenal FC
    United States
    Nov 16, 2011
    Akron, Ohio
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Let me make this easy on everyone.
    Everything everywhere is cancelled.
    If it ain't cancelled yet, it will be soon.

Ohioans will be lucky if we can vote next Tuesday.

14. OverseasView

OverseasView Member+

Olympique Lyonnais
    France
    Feb 3, 2013
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    French Fédération stopped all competitions.
    The League (pro) not yet: we are awaiting.
    In UK, Arteta positive. So AFC is quarantining almost every body. Their games postponed. MCY’s Mendy quarantined. CFC’s Odson positive.... Likely that the Premier League will act soon.

As the recommandations are to avoid not critical moves in order to slow down the virus spreading, all sport events such as other entertainment ones will be all stopped very soon.
    Here it is economically terrible for concert and artistic venues, bars, clubs, restaurants etc... Not talking about hospitality industry.

The main issue for each government is to avoid that the health system is overwhelmed by too many patients: there are not enough respiratory machines to cure people. Plus the fact that other “usual” critical cases (heart, accidents etc...) might not be handled because the hospitals are full and that the staff is exhausted (if not missing because they are also contaminated).
    This thing is testing our democracies’ resilience.

15. nick p

nick p Member+

Jul 11, 2009
    Baltimore Maryland
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I am still genuinely heart broken that College world series is cancelled this year Losing the College World Series really hurts Omaha

16. OverseasView

OverseasView Member+

Olympique Lyonnais
    France
    Feb 3, 2013
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Hello Friends.
    Just to get news from my BS friends.
    Here in Switzerland, situation is getting worse.
    Confinement regulations are strict, however allow to be outside and do shopping while respecting social distanciation.

My only concern is my two beloved kids, who are in Melbourne FL and Dayton OH. We do not know whether they will have to come back or not, and if they decide it whether they will still have flights available.

Take care of yourself, enjoy reading, playing games and doing things we forgot to do in our fast pace digital world: all this will pass, it will be painful for a lot of our relatives, however I am sure that a lot of good will stem from this.

fknbuflobo and CaptainD repped this.
  17. Newports

Newports Member

Jan 19, 2012
    If we don't get some better news before May1 you may likely hear about cancellation of the fall schedule.

First Time Finish and fknbuflobo repped this.
  18. JoeSoccerFan

JoeSoccerFan Member+

Aug 11, 2000
    Why do you say that? Why wouldn't they wait until later in the summer to make a decision on the fall?

19. collegesoccer

collegesoccer Member+

Apr 11, 2005
    Even more importantly, will there be men’s soccer programs cut because of the drop in revenue from tv contracts for basketball and endowments now being crushed in value.

OverseasView and Sandon Mibut repped this.
  20. CaptainD

CaptainD Member

Oct 20, 2014
    I’ve been wondering if some international players will withdraw their commitments.

21. ThePonchat

ThePonchat Member+

#ProRelForUSA
    United States
    Jan 10, 2013
    I've Been Everywhere Man
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    But...the "21st Century Model" is here to save the day...

22. collegesoccer

collegesoccer Member+

Apr 11, 2005
    The good news is by the time they vote, hopefully, life will be back to normal.

23. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    This is from a very plugged in college football reporter. Obviously, so goes football, so goes the rest of the non-revenue fall sports.

fknbuflobo repped this.
  24. Terrier1966

Terrier1966 Member

Nov 19, 2016
    Club:
    Aston Villa FC
    Based on it being the biggest revenue sport they would play games with maybe as little as 2 weeks practice?

So, unless lockdowns and distancing are still government ordered in August it seems unlikely the season is at the level of risk implied in that tweet.

Despite the dire situation we are all in now, how likely is it that the country stays in shut down for another 4 months?

And if government lockdowns are still in order in August, then the revenue from college football will not be the biggest worry for colleges...tuition, room and board are THE biggest revenue and if that doesn’t come in the rest of it will seem less of a concern.

CaptainD and fknbuflobo repped this.
  25. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    Another college football writer expressing skepticism the fall season starts on time. (Click and read the whole thread.)

And an issue college soccer has that football doesn't is all the international kids. If the travel ban is still in place, a lot of those foreign players may not be allowed in the country. Most upperclassmen will likely not have left, but for teams that were looking into bringing in new players from abroad, they may be SOL, if they have a season at all.

Granted, a lot can and will happen in four months. But it can also go by really quickly, too.

Terrier1966, OverseasView and fknbuflobo repped this.