Corona crisis. Is it going to change the way we live?

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by feyenoordsoccerfan, Mar 24, 2020.

1. Funkfoot

Funkfoot Member+

May 18, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    It's more like doing a Lorena Bobbit on the corn plant.

Dr. Wankler and xtomx repped this.
  2. Val1

Val1 Member+

Arsenal
    Mar 12, 2004
    MD's Eastern Shore
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Well, to respond to the original post, I did quit smoking. It's been a month now, and it seems like it's gonna take. I figured that if coronavirus is a respiratory illness, I ought to give my lungs their best chance of surviving it.

3. Q*bert Jones III

Q*bert Jones III The People's Poet

Feb 12, 2005
    Woodstock, NY
    Club:
    DC United
    Well done. That was one of the hardest things I ever did. I quit 10 years ago and I still fantasize about smoking sometimes. I'll creepily walk behind people on the sidewalk to get a whiff of their second-hand smoke. But I know if I ever have another, I'll never be able to quit and I won't see my (hypothetical) grandkids grow up.

American Brummie, Dr. Wankler and Val1 repped this.
  4. usscouse

usscouse BigSoccer Supporter

May 3, 2002
    Orygun coast
    I’m from the other end of the spectrum. I never understood the “appeal” of smoking. Even though it seemed to me in the 50s that everybody smoked in everywhere they felt like.
    As a kid my dad made the threat, you know it, “if I ever catch you”. But I never received a satisfactory answer when I asked why don’t you stop then.
    He did stop in his early 70s when he came over from Liverpool to Park City Utah to visit.
    He could never go in a pub again or be around a smoker and wondered why the hell he ever started. WW2 army was my answer.

Val1 repped this.
  5. Cascarino's Pizzeria

Apr 29, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    It's been over 20 years for me (a condition of marriage). But I can still smell a Marlboro from 50 paces.

American Brummie repped this.
  6. ToMhIlL

ToMhIlL Member+

Feb 18, 1999
    Boxborough, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's one habit I'm glad I never did. I've heard people say that it's easier to quit heroin than cigarettes, and I can't say I doubt them, considering all the people I know who have tried to quit at one time or another...

7. dapip

dapip Member+

Sep 5, 2003
    South Florida
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    sitruc repped this.
  8. So it's been 47 years ago the Oil crisis happened.
    Those good old days.

9. usscouse

usscouse BigSoccer Supporter

May 3, 2002
    Orygun coast
    The PRINCES..!

upload_2020-4-20_14-39-16.jpeg

Auriaprottu repped this.
  10. dapip

dapip Member+

Sep 5, 2003
    South Florida
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia

While you have to take this with a grain of salt, it is incredible to think how much oil we were over consuming. Granted, negative prices are basically for future contracts that are pushed against the wall given that storage is at full capacity, but the bottom line is that demand is probably at 25-30% of peak, and any operation that needs a price over US$30 is likely in deep deep trouble.

The funny thing, is that a capable administration would have used this convergence to achieve total energy independence and, it would not have been a bad time to actually subsidize some of the tar sands and other complex operations to just stop pumping.

But since the WH is beholden to Russia and Saudi Arabia, you know how things are going...

ttrevett repped this.
  11. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Beholden to economically primitive dictatorships. Pffft.

dapip repped this.
  12. dapip

dapip Member+

Sep 5, 2003
    South Florida
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Trademark sign of living in a sh!thole country...

JohnR repped this.
  13. ttrevett

ttrevett Member+

Apr 2, 2002
    Atlanta, GA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You should run for president. You know the Saudis and China would have been doing that.

14. ttrevett

ttrevett Member+

Apr 2, 2002
    Atlanta, GA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Do you live in Colombia or the US?

15. dapip

dapip Member+

Sep 5, 2003
    South Florida
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    #140 dapip, Apr 21, 2020
    Last edited: Apr 21, 2020
    I live in a country that:

- Has a puppet clown as president that has links with know mobsters and probably cheated to win the presidency.
    - Has a president that botched the response to COVID-19, but was saved in big part by local governors from the opposing party.
    - Has a government that prioritzed rescueing banks and corporations over people
    - Has a president that consults with foreign powers and corporate owners before taking a decision
    - Has a for-profit healthcare system that leaves a big portion of the population at risk of being uncovered.
    - Is blaming foreign nationals and immigrants for their wowes.
    - Is under siege from cyber armies pledging to reopen the economy before it is scientifically advisable.
    - Has a national tv and radio network that twists reality to fit the narrative of the governing party.
    - Spends about 10 times more in military than in education

Does that answer your question?

sitruc, luftmensch, usscouse and 3 others repped this.
  16. dapip

dapip Member+

Sep 5, 2003
    South Florida
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Nah. I'm aware of my limitations and I know that we have a lot of better people that is more capable than me. I'll just vote for someone with a plan other than ransack the treasury and own the liberuls...

17. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    An article on how school inequality will increase during this school shutdown.

https://www.economist.com/internati...d-19-does-lifelong-harm-and-widens-inequality

18. stanger

stanger BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 29, 2008
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My local municipality just announced they are not opening either of our local pools this summer.

19. roby

roby Member+

SIRLOIN SALOON FC, PITTSFIELD MA
    Feb 27, 2005
    So Cal
    Do you live in River City? :notworthy:

stanger repped this.
  20. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
  21. Well, there are more takes in the link that I think, mwah,dunno if you're not engaging in wishfull thinking .....but at least it's a collection of attempts to derive effects from the crisis.

22. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire

I was speaking comparatively.

But he is definitely looking too optimistic so far...

23. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  24. Funkfoot

Funkfoot Member+

May 18, 2002
    New Orleans, LA