Corona crisis. Is it going to change the way we live?

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by feyenoordsoccerfan, Mar 24, 2020.

1. :D

2. Funkfoot

Funkfoot Member+

May 18, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    I refer to it as our strategic toilet paper reserve.

ttrevett, dapip, JG and 1 other person repped this.
  3. roby

roby Member+

SIRLOIN SALOON FC, PITTSFIELD MA
    Feb 27, 2005
    So Cal
    How else will we be able to festoon our trees come Halloween? :)

4. I'm sure you'll see a weird Halloween this year.

appwrangler repped this.
  5. ttrevett

ttrevett Member+

Apr 2, 2002
    Atlanta, GA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Probably the only potential benefit of the quarantine: no street urchins in disguises begging for sugary handouts door to door.

6. chaski

chaski Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 20, 2000
    redacted
    Club:
    Lisburn Distillery FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Turks and Caicos Islands

Kazuma, appwrangler, Dr. Wankler and 2 others repped this.
  7. dapip

dapip Member+

Sep 5, 2003
    South Florida
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Just had a tel con, it went pretty much as it sounded there.

Cascarino's Pizzeria repped this.
  8. dapip

dapip Member+

Sep 5, 2003
    South Florida
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    I have been thinking about this topic for the last week or so, but didn't want to write from my phone, since it's going to be extense.

I think there are several positive outcomes of this pandemic, and hopefully some of the logical measures that this crisis should trigger, will be implemented in the US in the medium to long term.

From the governmental part, I expect:

- Push for stronger/universal healthcare coverage
    - Relocation of strategical industries to provide medical supplies and food locally
    - Initiatives to improve transportation safety and probably replace air transit with trains or local manufacturing.
    - Replacing of fossil fuels with more locally oriented sources like wind and solar.
    - Possibly the implementation of UBI and stronger regulation of the gig-industry
    - Heavier investment in pharmaceutical and medical research, as well as in hospitals and the education of medical personnel.

From the corporative POV:

- Reduction of office and retail space and broad implementation of telecommuting.
    - Switch to online order and delivery
    - Streamlining of critical goods and services to be provided locally, or at least from more reliable/stable partners
    - Reduction of air travel offers and of strong adjustment for other traveling related industries.
    - Revamping of the entertainment industry and sports, reducing the number and size of games/concerts.

From the consumer's POV:

- Strong reduction in consumption of suntuary goods and services.
    - Gradual move from crowded cities to more spaced out suburbs.
    - More relying on online shopping and delivery services.
    - Demand for Universal Healthcare and UBI to be added to political aspirations

A lot of these points are aspirational, and it is clear that a lot of it will depend on the election results and on the coalitions that govern in 2021 and 2022.

Hopefully, in the foreseeable future, while we still remember the effects of COVID-19, people will ask for better infrastructure and protections and governments will abide.

bostonsoccermdl repped this.
  9. luftmensch

luftmensch Member+

United States
    May 4, 2006
    Petaluma
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Given how many of their parents lost jobs they'll more likely be in regular clothing begging for food (and tp).

Auriaprottu and dapip repped this.
  10. dapip

dapip Member+

Sep 5, 2003
    South Florida
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Another development I hope for, is the end or banishment of antivaxxers. Once the vaccine is developed, every school district to require full vaccination or refuse enrollment.

11. As now is shown what it means if a population isnot vaccinated against a contagious disease, such a choice is life threatening to those who arenot yet (babies etc.) or can't be vaccinated. You may have the right to carrt a gun, but you're not allowed to walk down the street shooting it's bullets in random directions. This applies to antivax peopleto. You're allowed to put yourself at risk, but not others around you. So if you want to stay unvaxxed, you will have to chose a solitary locked down life. When you brake that lock down, you'll have to pay a devastating fine. If you do so and infext someone who because of that dies, you will be charged with murder.

dapip repped this.
  12. usscouse

usscouse BigSoccer Supporter

May 3, 2002
    Orygun coast
    Yes, some of this could well happen But ONLY if Trump is dumped in November.
    There’s a lot to fix and rescind first.

Some may say I’m a dreamer but I’m not the only one.

dapip and Auriaprottu repped this.
  13. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    I've been saying for decades that antivaxxers should homeschool, should not be allowed to participate in real school activities (like Tim Tebow was) and that colleges should take that homeschooling into account when they decide whether or not to admit said students as ugrads.

dapip and usscouse repped this.
  14. usscouse

May 3, 2002
    Orygun coast
    Some hospitals are having to make hard choices on who gets ventilators. Another pressure dumped by Trump on doctors and nurses. With direct results on the population.

then he accuses them of theft and black marketeering.

Auriaprottu repped this.
  15. usscouse

May 3, 2002
    Orygun coast
    I just glanced up at the news and did a face palm. Don’t they ever check. Or do they think no one will notice???

092E5BBB-D769-4E7F-9E35-A0D7145D06AE.jpeg

blissett and Auriaprottu repped this.
  16. Funkfoot

Funkfoot Member+

May 18, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    So if anyone predicted we would be better at geography, they were wrong.

17. Cascarino's Pizzeria

Apr 29, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    Best line "you can send out the recap email that could've basically taken the place of this whole meeting" :eek:

dapip repped this.
  18. usscouse

May 3, 2002
    Orygun coast
    A while back a friend of mine had to come over from the UK to work with a sister company for a while. He biggest comment was about the amount of meetings called every day.

Sometimes they even took time out to get some work done.

19. dapip

dapip Member+

Sep 5, 2003
    South Florida
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Kids are now using zoom for classroom meetings. Seems like it works better than my work conference.

20. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How about shutting down all borders, less allowed travel across countries with long term quarantine for all those that are allowed to travel?

21. Kazuma

Kazuma Member+

Chelsea
    Jul 30, 2007
    Detroit
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    I've said it elsewhere, but I'll reiterate:

I'm hoping we see mandated sick and vacation time. I'm also hoping that it ends the shame of using that sick time, which is prevalent in blue and white collar jobs. It also says a lot that those in the service industry in grocery stores are considered essential despite being given so little. Meanwhile, I'm working at home, posting on here, listening to music, and doing ok. It's quite something compared to how little I was paid when I worked retail compared to my nice cushy office job.

And I don't think teleworking will take over. Long as there's that one person who is big on presence, going to the office will remain in vogue. That, and there are people who like to keep their home and their work separate. I'm one of those people.

raza_rebel, ToMhIlL, luftmensch and 3 others repped this.
  22. Kazuma

Kazuma Member+

Chelsea
    Jul 30, 2007
    Detroit
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Jeet Heer posted a bunch of tweets on the matter. There's also been strikes in other industries, including one here in Michigan since the whole pandemic has started.

Sooner or later, there's gonna be a backlash from the working class. Given the popularity of Bernie Sanders's and Elizabeth Warren's views, the rise of strikes the last few years, and the further away we get from Reagan and his views on unions, I won't be surprised if unions start becoming powerful again.

dapip repped this.
  23. Walia Ibex

Walia Ibex Red Card

Arsenal
    Ethiopia
    Oct 2, 2019
    In the United States nothing will change. Especially now that Covid19 will be defeated by July with much less deaths than orginally thought. Sure maybe more people work from home, the goverments of the worlds stock up on PPE, people wash their hands more but most importantly people will return to life like nothing happen and this will just be a "crazy bad memory for 3 months".

24. luftmensch

luftmensch Member+

United States
    May 4, 2006
    Petaluma
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You seriously crack me up.

25. Walia Ibex

Walia Ibex Red Card

Arsenal
    Ethiopia
    Oct 2, 2019
    You have no proof, evidence or reasoning to explain why this is forever societal changing because it is not.