Corona-cation 2020

Discussion in 'Atlanta United FC' started by GunnerJacket, Mar 14, 2020.

1. VFish

VFish Member+

Jan 7, 2001
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    If The Guardian commentators are anything like their live PbP text commentary much hilarity will ensue.

2. VFish

VFish Member+

Jan 7, 2001
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    @GunnerJacket got a link to the game with the MST3000 commentary? The only link I found was to a FIFA video with absolutely no commentary at all.

3. VFish

VFish Member+

Jan 7, 2001
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Anyone seen 'The English Game' on Netflix? It looks well done and interesting. I don't have a Netflix account as I tend to watch more sports than movies or TV, but perhaps it is time to drop my ESPN+ and pick up a Netflix account?

4. GunnerJacket

GunnerJacket Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 18, 2003
    Gainesville, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I have not, but seeing as I've become burnt out on other stuff I will look into that and let you know if it's worth watching. And Lord knows I don't want to become just another Tiger King zombie.

5. GunnerJacket

GunnerJacket Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 18, 2003
    Gainesville, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I have ordered an old book trilogy in the sci-fi genre: Red Mars, Green Mars, Blue Mars. It's supposed to be one of the seminal explorations of how terra-forming might actually take shape, especially as to the social and political ramifications. Hopefully that will arrive soon.

6. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Now that Wallace Roney has died from the pandemic, I guess I'll be listening to some of his recordings.

7. GunnerJacket

GunnerJacket Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 18, 2003
    Gainesville, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    What? He wasn't that old, was he?

I've an older cousin who was a devotee of Miles Davis. Shared some recordings of Roney's work with me.

RIP, sir.

Auriaprottu repped this.
  8. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Indeed.

I must have posted fifty song videos on various social media Sunday night/Monday morning. From the mid 60s to about the early 80s. Some rock, some pop, some DCI, a little bit of country (lol, the Eagles) none of it jazz.

9. GunnerJacket

GunnerJacket Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 18, 2003
    Gainesville, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I've had the chance to see Chris Botti with the ATL Symphony and loved that. Also caught many regional jazz acts back before we had kids and could see more shows just whenever. That performance hall @ Clayton State (Spivey?) has great acoustics for piano and brass sounds.

Did the jazz festival down at Jacksonville once, have yet to make that in NOLA. I have, I'm proud to say, been to the Blue Note in Manhattan, which was both very cool and very cold, as it was a Dec. 22 that saw some 10" of snow that night!

Auriaprottu repped this.
  10. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    <3-day bump>

lol

11. GunnerJacket

GunnerJacket Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 18, 2003
    Gainesville, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    No kidding. It's like that with a lot of my social media. Not that I blame anyone when literally nothing is happening apart from sheltering in place.

Any of you lot savvy net shoppers? I'd like to by a Wii gaming console but my options are all private sellers or overpaying, but I've never purchased anything that way before. How does one tell the wheat from the chaff?

12. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    I've bought (N64, PSX, PS2) games online, but never a console. I can imagine that there could be problems either way, but with something like a game, I'm not out that much.

I don't think there's any sure-fire way to know if a console (or, for that matter, a game) works properly until you get it in hand.
    Is there some reason you want a Wii? I don't know anything about them, but Nintendo never had the variety of games that Sony does because they started with cartridges and licensing, while Sony allowed anyone who could make a game for them to do so.

13. GunnerJacket

GunnerJacket Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 18, 2003
    Gainesville, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Apart from my son and Minecraft none of us are huge gamers, apart from tablet-style apps. Wii is for nostalgia. Kids and I played some games on that before the divorce and those wand controllers and motion sensors were easy to use. Zelda, Lego, Wii sports resort... We figured we're gonna be house bound for a fair bit plus together a lot over the summer and we all had a yen to play those games. Plus none of us are keen on the conventional game controllers of the day.

Just a lark that I thought might spice up the quarantine.

Auriaprottu repped this.
  14. GunnerJacket

GunnerJacket Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 18, 2003
    Gainesville, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Don't know about you guys but I've seen more people walking, jogging and biking here in the exurbs. As in a lot more than I've ever seen. Usually my jogs will see 1, 2 other people. Now it's usually 6-10. Seems a benefit of the quarantine is people taking the time to exercise and get outside. Let's see if this sticks after.

15. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    I get this. I bought an N64 and four games a couple of years ago, long after I sold the first one to get a PS2. I gave away an old Sega Genesis back in 2005 or so. I was about as avid a gamer as I could afford to be back in the day when every game cost a quarter at an arcade. I never played online, tho- nothing like having the opponent right there in front of you.

16. yossarian

yossarian Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 16, 1999
    Big City Blinking
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    First few years out of law school, I was swamped as big law firm cog in the machine associate, but made cameos when I could with Sting.

GunnerJacket repped this.
  17. GunnerJacket

GunnerJacket Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 18, 2003
    Gainesville, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I'll assume you don't mean the wrestler! What position did you play?

By the way, what's your son been doing for practice during all this?

18. yossarian

yossarian Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 16, 1999
    Big City Blinking
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nope. Sting had teams in every division, I believe. I was a midfielder, usually a DM, depending how we set up.

Lots of juggling and smacking the ball against our garage. I've also been taking him out to the Emory intramural fields (since they have goals) a few times a week to run through some dribbling and shooting drills. I had meniscus surgery the last weekend in December, so while I've been back to running for a while, the lateral movement for footy is still a bit tough --- all of that to preface the fact that I haven't been able to do much 1v1 against him. But yeah, he misses his teammates and competitive matches really badly right now.

19. GunnerJacket

GunnerJacket Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 18, 2003
    Gainesville, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I can appreciate that. Friend of mine has a daughter who'll be playing at Piedmont College next year, so she's missing all those final games for both her club and high school. She's crushed. I guess the benefit of having kids who didn't take to sports means they're not missing that element.

I see a number of kids making it to the local HS and MS fields to kick around but up here in the exurbs not as many can easily make those campuses, sadly.

Glad your leg is on the mend. Getting old sucks as those parts break down!

20. VFish

VFish Member+

Jan 7, 2001
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Speaking of juggling, I think it is about 5 years since I kicked a soccer ball. Well, I got one of the deflated balls out of the garage, pumped it up, and I was determined to juggle 30 touches. It took a while but I did it. I remember when I could keep a ball in the air until I got bored. Apparently soccer is not like riding a bike.

GunnerJacket repped this.
  21. GunnerJacket

GunnerJacket Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 18, 2003
    Gainesville, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Hey at least you went out and did something!

22. VFish

VFish Member+

Jan 7, 2001
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    I also shot free throws on the court out back I built for my son. I was determined to hit 7 out of 10. That didn't happen. I did manage 5 out of 10 in the middle of a lot of bricks. Basketball is also not like riding a bike.

23. yossarian

yossarian Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 16, 1999
    Big City Blinking
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Keep at it and you'll be back to keepy ups forever. Takes a bit, but touch comes back, I've found.

24. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
  25. GunnerJacket

GunnerJacket Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 18, 2003
    Gainesville, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Happy Easter to all those who so celebrate!