Corona-cation 2020

Discussion in 'Atlanta United FC' started by GunnerJacket, Mar 14, 2020.

1. GunnerJacket

GunnerJacket Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 18, 2003
    Gainesville, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Not to belittle a global pandemic - and I do hope everyone is safe and healthy - but without ANY sports for the next few weeks what is everyone doing with their new-found free time? Any suggestions for Netflix?

2. Eleven Bravo

Eleven Bravo Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    Jul 3, 2004
    SC
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How will these games be made up?

I’m waiting on Atlanta haters to say that we caused the Coronavirus because our players have been so decimated by injuries lol.

3. VFish

VFish Member+

Jan 7, 2001
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    My wife has me doing yard work. ESPN is airing a series called BASKETBALL: A LOVE STORY all day long. I watched a little and it is really good, so I am recording it to watch later. I definitely need some Netflix recommendations.

4. VFish

VFish Member+

Jan 7, 2001
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    That wouldn't be the craziest conspiracy theory I've heard.

Eleven Bravo repped this.
  5. Eleven Bravo

Eleven Bravo Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    Jul 3, 2004
    SC
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I’ll be more dedicated to finally finish my book.

6. GunnerJacket

GunnerJacket Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 18, 2003
    Gainesville, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    *ears perked*

Subject?! I'm working on one about two kids building a tree house in a neighborhood hit hard by a factory closure. About 100 pages in. Liking the characters but struggling with evolution of the plot.

Also have one that will be more an autobiography, started when I was taking notes and making journal entries during my divorce. Wanted this for my kids to have someday to understand more of why they were put in this situation.

Auriaprottu repped this.
  7. GunnerJacket

GunnerJacket Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 18, 2003
    Gainesville, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    BTW, if anyone here hasn't seen Knives Out I highly recommend that movie. Available @ RedBox and online options now. Smart, witty, and well done.

Wondering now if I should join the masses and watching Contagion or 12 Monkeys to complement the hysteria of the day.

8. Eleven Bravo

Eleven Bravo Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    Jul 3, 2004
    SC
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #8 Eleven Bravo, Mar 14, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 14, 2020
    The Warrior’s Journey: Path to Elder Warrior
    A book about the psychological Self-transformations of going to war, experiencing war, and returning from war. This book builds off the principles of Jungian psychology and the study of the Warrior archetype. Based on an adaptation of Joseph Campbell’s the Hero’s Journey, the Warrior’s Journey: Path to Elder Warrior explains the Warrior’s Life Stages as, The Child, the Hero, the Warfighter, the Wanderer, and the Elder Warrior. As a US Army 11B-Infantryman with the 25th Infantry Division (Stryker Brigade) who participated in Operation Phantom Fury (Second siege of Fallujah), Battle of Mosul, and the Nineveh Elections 2005 in Iraq, and as a Clinical Social Worker with over 6 years of experience providing readjustment counseling services to combat veterans, my purpose is to offer a voice on the Warrior’s psychological experience, expand the discussion on the psychological burdens of combat and homecoming, and equip Warriors with a framework to become the Elder Warrior.

...I’ve written approximately 600-700 pages already, which is a bit of a problem, due to the fact I want it to stay under 400 pages, and I’m only about 2/3 done with the draft. Nevertheless, I look forward to an editor chopping it up to bits.

...Look forward to hearing more about your book!

VFish, GunnerJacket and Auriaprottu repped this.
  9. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    I'm not sure that much is going to change. Actually watching the games and talking about them here doesn't really take up that much time.

I suspect that if the teams are allowed to practice (are they?), there'll still be some info coming from the usual media sources.

10. GunnerJacket

GunnerJacket Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 18, 2003
    Gainesville, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Teams can't practice together for 2 weeks, IIRC. Players can report for any physio appointments but players are obligated to minimize their risk right now.

Auriaprottu repped this.
  11. yossarian

yossarian Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 16, 1999
    Big City Blinking
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    JoJo Rabbit is really good. Watched it on the plane to St. Thomas a few weeks ago ---- should've stayed in St. John and just sent for the kid.

Gunner repped this.
  12. VFish

VFish Member+

Jan 7, 2001
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Is it up beat or depressing?

13. yossarian

yossarian Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 16, 1999
    Big City Blinking
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hmmm. It's a dark comedy, sad in parts but also hopeful.

14. VFish

VFish Member+

Jan 7, 2001
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Given the subject I guess dark comedy is all one can expect. I'll watch, just don't expect a movie review because that is already written... "I laughed I cried, the hero died".

I am going to watch all the Oscar nominees during the lockdown (other than the Two Popes, I tried but lost interest early). Anyone seen Parasite?

15. yossarian

yossarian Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 16, 1999
    Big City Blinking
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not yet. I plan on it soon. My wife said it was quite good.

16. VFish

VFish Member+

Jan 7, 2001
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    I am re-watching the entire '74 World Cup, mostly in my underwear. Good stuff (not what is in my shorts).

GunnerJacket repped this.
  17. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Thursday, I watched highlights of the 2004 and 2007 Copa America finals. Friday, it was the 2018 MLS Cup final. Yesterday- footage of dogs on the pitch, the comeback v. San Jose and the USOC final. Today, Cameroon's GS win in 1990, if I can find the whole game, and Nigeria's 1996 Gold medal highlights, and Croatia-Romania 1998 R16. Stelea stood tall in a 0-1 loss.

18. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Greek basketball! Seriously, these folks got it going on, atmospherewise

19. GunnerJacket

GunnerJacket Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 18, 2003
    Gainesville, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    A) How did you get access to that one? (He asked before Googling)

B) Any particular reason the '74 event?

I watched Premier League Goals of the season on MBCSN yesterday. They aired the special for each of the past 6(?) seasons. Was nice recalling moments when Arsenal was a quality team.

20. GunnerJacket

GunnerJacket Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 18, 2003
    Gainesville, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I remember being on the edge of my seat when Cameroon topped Argentina in 1990! That made the event all the more alive not only in upsetting the holders but signaling the emergence of African talent. Now it truly felt like a world tournament.

Auriaprottu repped this.
  21. VFish

VFish Member+

Jan 7, 2001
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    My first exposure to the beautiful game. I was a young American kid and spent the entire Summer of '74 visiting relatives in Holland. The entire country was caught up in World Cup fever and I too fell in love with the game.

22. GunnerJacket

GunnerJacket Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 18, 2003
    Gainesville, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Cool. I was not quite 4 at the time so I don't recall much of major footie from then. After making a few late '70's Chiefs matches and especially after Mexico '86 I was nose deep!

23. GunnerJacket

GunnerJacket Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 18, 2003
    Gainesville, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Here's one for the masses: Tell us something interesting about your youth soccer days! Or other sports, if not soccer.

One year for me (age 8?) my father was one of those roped into coaching because so many kids were getting in the soccer bandwagon. Our team was a pool of new kids and those not otherwise returning to a team and we needed a team name, so in a rush my father chose something that sounded cool based on the toys with which I loved to play - Skywalkers! Certainly stood out among the Knights, Tigers, and Bulldogs I remember seeing on the schedule.

24. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    It's a bit sketchy. For three years, I played every day (grades 4-6) because we lived in an area of the country (Montgomery County, Maryland- had great schools at the time) where the game was already established. The elementary school had a real pitch with real goals and real nets. They re-lined every week or two, so we played at recess, after school, before school, and in the summer. almost always 11/side. Then we moved back to the South. I went from middle school to ugrad school without playing even a pickup game, in part because my timpani talent had emerged, and in part because no one else was really playing the game here.

I started back up in my early 20s with a tech company-sponsored adult league. I was rusty, but I was more athletic then the engineers I was playing with and against, so I caught back up pretty quickly. Played very briefly in an adult league in ATL when I was 24, and that was the last time I actually wore the boots.

I ended up coaching at Clarkston in the early 00s. That was the most wonderful and organic footy experience I've ever had. There were always 20-30 grown men waiting for the practice pitch when we were done. And they could play- Latinos, Somalis, Eritreans, Ethiopians, West Indians... that place was like Rucker Park on the weekends. I miss it.

25. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    [​IMG]
    It's a police station now. The square of blacktop on the left was a kickball field, and the parking lot with most of the cars visible wasn't there- the grass ran all the way up to the building. And this pointyball lining is new. When I was there it was always lined for footy. Always. We lived in the apartment complex that surrounds the school on two sides- you can see one building on the lower left corner.

I visited DC in 1988 for a friend's wedding and stopped by. A lot had changed.